• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Volk TE37 & BBK Recommendation

Hi guys .

I need some help here deciding on a BBK... I'd like to keep the current wheels that i have because 1) I like them :) and 2) they are rather lightweight.

In the front I have 17x7.5 TE37's. I *think* they are +40. I know, i know -> i should be SURE about this, but i dont have the receipt. Reason i am pretty sure they are +40 is because they just clear the factory caliper on the lower ridge by about 3mm... i think if they were +30 they would have much more clearance.

Anyway, back to the question. I want to get a BBK, I have been eyeing the Stoptech system, but am somewhat concerned that I would need a 10MM + spacer to make them fit. Just looking at the wheel on the car, it would seem that a 10MM spacer would get the wheel VERY close to the edge of the wheel well (The car is lowered with Eibach).

Contrary to this, it looks like the Brembo kit would fit with only a 5mm or 7.5MM spacer (Mark J mentioned he has a 7.5MM spacer and it works fine).

Does anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks for your comments!

One other option i forgot to mention.. The wheel shop down here mentioned that could shave 2-3mm off the inside of the spokes.. which may help make the stoptechs fit with just a 5-7.5mm spacer.. not sure i want to go there though...

Not really sure you'd want to shave any material off the wheel. It could lose strength and that would not be a good thing.

Have you considered the Wilwood kit? I have SSR Integrals, and I wanted a kit that required minimal use of spacers. To my suprise, Sherwin (The Brake Zone) advises me in this thread that they will fit without the use of spacers. Something I thought not possible with Integrals. Might be worth a look. ;)

I did look at the wilwood kits, but havent had a chance to drive / test them. I had heard some negative comments from an ex vette driver who owned them - but i am somewhat discounting that data point since i dont think he is a reliable source...

I have had a chance to try the stoptechs and brembos, and i was very impressed with those - so i figured they were 'lower risk' so to speak. On a purely asthetic note, i think both of them 'look better' - though I guess thats a relatively minor issue... (Wilwood needs a better looking logo.. (My subjective opinion).

Anyone know 'standard' the selection of pads and rotors are for the wilwood kits?

spdntckt said:
Hi guys .

I need some help here deciding on a BBK... I'd like to keep the current wheels that i have because 1) I like them :) and 2) they are rather lightweight.

In the front I have 17x7.5 TE37's. I *think* they are +40. I know, i know -> i should be SURE about this, but i dont have the receipt. Reason i am pretty sure they are +40 is because they just clear the factory caliper on the lower ridge by about 3mm... i think if they were +30 they would have much more clearance.

Anyway, back to the question. I want to get a BBK, I have been eyeing the Stoptech system, but am somewhat concerned that I would need a 10MM + spacer to make them fit. Just looking at the wheel on the car, it would seem that a 10MM spacer would get the wheel VERY close to the edge of the wheel well (The car is lowered with Eibach).

Contrary to this, it looks like the Brembo kit would fit with only a 5mm or 7.5MM spacer (Mark J mentioned he has a 7.5MM spacer and it works fine).

Does anyone have a similar setup?

Thanks for your comments!

A 17x7.5 with 40mm offset with a 10mm spacer on a Stoptech BBK will have it's front wheels protruding past the front fender. The hat for the stoptech BBK rotor is actually about 4 to 5 mm thicker than the stock rotor, so it's almost like trying to run a 25mm offset wheel on the stock brake system, and that *won't* work.

The Brembo lotus kit should work with a 7.5mm spacer just like MJ stated.

Ken

BTW: Look at my Stoptech BBK Wheel fitment thread for more details.

spdntckt said:
Wow.. i didnt realize that.. so is the hat for the Brembo rotors larger as well? I should think that you would need much larger studs for this as well.

Though it does seem strange your comment that 'this wont work'. Take a look at the volk TE37's in the thread below

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26548

they look like they dont stick out of the fender well very much...

Yes you will need longer studs when you go with a BBK and a spacer, the particular picture that you are referring to is from Shawn's car (ponyboy) he's not running 17x7.5 instead he is running a wheel that might be wider but with a higher offset, so that might be the reason it does not stick out as much but he does have rubbing problems.

The Stoptech are great brakes if you are willing to put up with the limited choices for wheels. But explore your options before choosing a BBK, with the Stoptech brakes and wheels I ended up spending over 8K upgrading my car.

Ken

Last edited:
Hmm.. Anyone know what the 'total' offset would be for a brembo front BBK? (including hat spacing and wheel spacer?)

sounds like this may be the better way to go..

Put it this way my front SSR GT1s 17x8 45 offset need a 2mm spacer to clear my Stoptechs. The same Rim fits a Brembo Caliper with the need for no spacer. Not sure if Brembo has a template someone out there might know.

NSX -

Yes, i understand that most wheels will require a 2mm additional spacer with the Stoptechs, but my understanding is that the Stoptechs also have a wider 'hat' which imposes an addiitonal 5-6MM or so.. making the total difference closer to 8mm.

Does anyone know if the brembo 'hat' is the same width as the stock rotor? I wasnt sure if the brembo hat was wider than stock as well... cheers!

This is the only image I have been able to find on the web:

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/download/Wheel_Clearance.pdf

There are no dimensions but if the scale is correct the hat is about 6 mm thick. I don't know what the stock thickness is.

I have a clearance template I have made off my brakes if you would like I can e-mail it to you.

It's a pdf file. Right click and save. Make sure you have adobe or adobe acrobat reader to open it with.

Reviving a long dead thread haha but I'm looking for a TE37 between 17x7.5 to 17x8.5 fronts and 18x9.5 or 18x10.5 rears. What offsets would clear well with the stop tech bbks? I've heard +40 and +45.

Here is a link to the Stoptech template for the NSX. I would download it and check fitment. Also don't forget to account for the rear parking brake clearance.

Front: http://www.stoptech.com/docs/wheel-fitment-templates/98-055-2430-02_FP

Rear: http://www.stoptech.com/docs/wheel-fitment-templates/98-055-2431-02_FP

FWIW I have a Stoptech BBK and am running Advan RGIII's. The offsets (F/R) are +37 and +35 on 17x8 and 18x10. Fitment is perfect.

Here are some other wheel combinations that are known to work:

• Advan RS, RZ, RS-D, and RG-D front: 17 or 18 x 8.0+37, rear 18 or 19 x 10.0+35
  • Volk Racing CE28N front: 17x8.0+38, rear 18x9.5+36
  • Advan Model T5 front: 17x8.0+38, rear: 18x10.0+42
  • factory Honda 2002-2005 wheels require 15mm spacer front, 25mm spacer rear

Last edited:
For perfect fitment that will clear the Stoptech BBK... Fronts at 17x8.5 +40. I wish I would've waited longer before I bought my set as I am 17x7.5 +40. Would've been nice to have the option if I ever decided to go BBK in the future.

I tried doing the Stoptechs (returned them) and couldn't find a parking brake kit. I called Stoptech and it turns out that they don't make it anymore. So if you want a parking brake you will have to go with something else. I ended up going with four Brembo GTs and I have TE37s but I haven't mounted them yet. I don't anticipate any problems. However I don't have the GT-Rs which are bigger I assume.

I tried doing the Stoptechs (returned them) and couldn't find a parking brake kit. I called Stoptech and it turns out that they don't make it anymore. So if you want a parking brake you will have to go with something else. I ended up going with four Brembo GTs and I have TE37s but I haven't mounted them yet. I don't anticipate any problems. However I don't have the GT-Rs which are bigger I assume.

I am curious who at Stoptech you spoke with and when. I put Stoptechs on my NSX about 8 months ago and had no problem getting the parking brake kit. I'd be surprised if they discontinued the parking brake kit in just 8 months. (Poor) picture of rear brake and parking brake assy. The part number for my rear set (inc parking brake) is 83.055.0043.82. Part number reflects drilled rotors and yellow calipers. FWIW the part number for the fronts is 83.055.4300.82

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

I am curious who at Stoptech you spoke with and when. I put Stoptechs on my NSX about 8 months ago and had no problem getting the parking brake kit. I'd be surprised if they discontinued the parking brake kit in just 8 months. (Poor) picture of rear brake and parking brake assy. The part number for my rear set (inc parking brake) is 83.055.0043.82. Part number reflects drilled rotors and yellow calipers. FWIW the part number for the fronts is 83.055.4300.82

attachment.php

attachment.php
That's great that you could get it. It was over a year ago that I purchased the Stoptech BBK. I spoke with several people at Stoptech and they made it clear that the parking brake kit was out of production for some time. I was really frustrated and lost quite a bit on restocking fees through Auto Anything where I bought the brakes. I have a feeling that enough people complained that they may have restarted producing the parking brake kit. In fact I posted on Prime to see if there were any solutions. "Bring a two by four and put it in front and behind a tire" was all I got on advice. I'm happy with my Brembos (I haven't tracked them tho). I have no idea how they work in comparison to the Stoptechs, and they are not the really big Brembo GT-Rs (crazy expensive $$$). All I know is that the OEM brakes over heated on me a few laps in at Thunder Hill so I'm glad they are gone.

I can confirm. I had to order several times because the rear parking brake kit would be discontinued then available then discontinued. I finally got it late last year.

I have a feeling it was a supplier issue.

Back