• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

any issues with a nose mask/bra rubbing paint

I'm considering getting either a factory NSX nose mask or one by from Colgan. I only plan on using this when doing some long distance drives on the highway or if I take it on the track. Has anyone had any paint rubbing issues with either of these bras or any others? Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

I've never had a problem with paint rubbing off when using a nose mask for any of my cars. There are two things that have to do to insure this though. First, keep a good coat of wax on the covered areas, and never let the mask get wet when on the car. If it starts to rain remove it quickly because the moisture trapped under the mask will lead to paint problems if it is allowed to dry while still on.

I have the OEM nose mask, and I've heard of the seams causing light scratching especially near the buttons that snap into the wheel well. I took small pieces of terry cloth and simply put
them on top of the seams in this area. Works great.

Also, I bought some mirror covers from Colgan, and they are awesome.

I have the factory mask and have had no problems -the only comment I could add is to just make sure dirt is not accumulating between the mask and the paint.

I've heard/seen coolnsx's black car with OEM bra that the corners around where the turn signal lights are had some minor paint scratches. I have OEM bra also on my silver, so far I have not seen any on mine. However, I only use it during REALLY long trips or track events.

I have a S. L. Bra.

I noticed a little chaffing from the Bra's plastic section on the bumper just below the turn indicator lense.

Three years ago, I solved the problem by installing some 2 inch strips of Griot's clear protective material (simular to the 3-M product). The strips fit perfectly in the area of the light, problem solved.

Paint Damage

As SilverOne said I've had the paint above the turn signals wear into the clear coat. The factory bra was new and the car had multiple coats of Z___ wax. The bra was properly installed, I had an assist from a NSX owner that uses a bra. Haven't used it again.

Re: Paint Damage

coolnsx said:
As SilverOne said I've had the paint above the turn signals wear into the clear coat. The factory bra was new and the car had multiple coats of Z___ wax. The bra was properly installed, I had an assist from a NSX owner that uses a bra. Haven't used it again.

That's really odd. Are you sure you had the nosebra properly installed? Look at this page for reference. If the flap was tucked underneath the opening and above the turn signal lens as shown, I can't imagine how the paint would wear above that area of the bumper. With the flap properly installed, air wouldn't get trapped undernate the bra causing it to flap. If installed incorrectly (as shown), air will start flapping the edge of the nosebra up and down causing scratches in the paint (which I have seen on a few NSXs).

I've sported the OEM nosebra on my '91 NSX for nearly seven years and 48K miles with not a single scratch anywhere above the turn signals.

Last edited:

coolnsx said:

I have the similiar experience, but with a car cover, not the nose bra. When I spoke to someone at a reputable body shop, the guy explained to me that the car cover and bras were the last thing that I would want to do to my car.

When there is mositure kept in between the cover and the paint, the moisture will eat off the paint. Hence, you will often observe what looks to be "fading" of the paint.

I don't know if he was right or wrong, but I decided not to use my car cover ever since then.

I guess I'm one of the few that chose Colgan. The reason is for maximum frontal coverage. It covers the most important area up front, including the headlights, the front of the hood and the front of the fenders.

132_3237.JPG

It is not the prettiest thing on a silver car, but I would not go .... "braless" on a track. Your car will thank you. Just make sure that you remove it right after you get home and vacuum the inside before each use. It is great for fwy driving also. I picked up thousands of bugs on my way to Pahrump last month. 90% of them are on my bra. When I got home, a wet towel took care of it.

Regarding the comment from Tiger, my car is always covered in my garage. With kids traffic in the garage, the OEM cover can avoid a lot of minor accidents. I have a separate cover for outdoor use on calm sunny days. Covering the car outside on a windy day after the car has been driven can make a mess on the paint. So no cover on a windy days.

Last edited:
CDub said:
I guess I'm one of the few that chose Calgan. The reason is for maximum frontal coverage. It covers the most important area up front, including the headlights, the front of the hood and the front of the fenders.

132_3237.JPG

It is not the prettiest thing on a silver car, but I would not go .... "braless" on a track. Your car will thank you. Just make sure that you remove it right after you get home and vacuum the inside before each use. It is great for fwy driving also. I picked up thousands of bugs on my way to Pahrump last month. 90% of them are on my bra. When I got home, a wet towel took care of it.

Regarding the comment from Tiger, my car is always covered in my garage. When kids traffics in the garage, the OEM cover can avoid a lot of minor accidents. I have a separate cover for outdoor use on calm sunny days. Covering the car outside on a windy day after the car has been driven can make a mess on the paint. So no cover on a windy days.

yeah I just came back from VIR... i have rubber ON my car, and stuff everywhere.. ugh...

btw.. that's a really good picture..
:p

Yes, it is taken by our very own FuryNSX during our CalCoastal autoX event this march.

In the background you can see "91 X" stiking a post for the camera. Here is a picture of him chasing me down, trying to beat me with his flag when I tried to sneak a cone home as a souvenir. All caught on film.

132_3294.JPG

As others noted, routine cleaning of the bra is important to avoid debris and road kill insects that seem to accumulate around the openings.

One additional comment: we are noticing from the use of the OEM bra over 4 years (mostly used at track events) is that the rubber seal where the hood closes is getting stretched/elongated on both ends by as much as 0.5" to 0.75." It is enough that you can see it when the hood is closed. Not sure if this is true for those not using a bra as well.

YMMMV

coolnsx said:

Uh-um, could you please clarify what type of wax you recommend? There seem to be some letters missing after the capital "Z"

:D :D:p ;) :rolleyes:

As i was applying Zymol Detailer ( good stuff from the goodie bag at the NSXPO - there had to be $100 forth of free products in there ) to the hood and headlight covers of my car this weekend I noticed a couple of minute rock chips on these parts in areas that are covered by the Colgan mask but not the OEM mask. Since the Colgan mask provides more coverage it appears to be the way to go. Is there anyone out there who has used both and can comment on:

1. Is the Colgan mask is more or less grief to install than the OEM mask?

2. How secure are the headlight covers? - I've had problems with these on other cars

Tusonsx, that's the reason why I picked the Colgan. When you squad down to the level of the car, you see over 90% of the front is covered by the bra.

The first time install, it took me awhile to put on, but now it takes me 5 mins. Since I never used the OEM bra, I can't compare the ease of installation.

The head light cover is very secure when the lights are down. I've had it at 110 on the track with no problem. When the lights are on, you can see that there is a air pocket, but it doesn't flap and they never came off while driving.

It also has a screen to cover the parking lights that the OEM doesn't. For $36 they also sell the mirror covers that is also very useful. (Boy, I sound like a bra salesman)

Some people complained that the fastener on the wheelwell creates gaps between the fenders and the wheelwell liners, but you shouldn't have that problem if you don't leave it on all the time.

One thing that the OEM has better coverage is the lower front. It wraps around all the 3 openings where the colgan just covers the front.

I hope it helps!

Hi Guys,
I have never tracked my car, so I don't know a lot about the stuff you guys use, but is that a special type of tape you guys use around the wheel wells and side vents? Does it come off without leaving goo all over ther car? Where do you get it?

Thanks

Bra's for 02 and newer

The bra that Colgan is now making for the "new" NSX takes about 2 minutes tops to install. I've used it for a drive down to "The River Run", up to Mass. and back, out to the Hamptons and back, all in the past month or so, no noticeable marks on any surface. I do like the "braless" look better on my car (and some females for that matter) but I also don't like the inevitable chips and bug splat, that can be easily avoided by using a well fitted bra. I do keep a good coating of wax (I'm a "Z" fan, that has been bitten by the new NXT, it's cheaper and easier to apply and remove), and would never put the bra on a dirty car. I religously remove it before a rain, and would also never put it on a wet car. Observe the simple, common sense rules, and get many more "chip free" miles!!! JMHO:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Those are just blue painter's tapes/masking tapes that you can find at Home Depot. They do have different rating to ensure that it doesn't leave any glue on the surface of the taped area. Mine is 7 days I think. So as long as you remove it in 7 days, it's totally clean.

Don't use the racing tapes that you find from some performance shops. They are basically duct tapes that will leave glue on the surface immediately.

Painter's tapes may work well on long trips and such. I don't think anyone will want to leave tapes on the car on a regular basis. It totally ruins the look of the car.

dnicho05 said:
Hi Guys,
I have never tracked my car, so I don't know a lot about the stuff you guys use, but is that a special type of tape you guys use around the wheel wells and side vents? Does it come off without leaving goo all over ther car? Where do you get it?

Thanks

CDub said:
...Painter's tapes may work well on long trips and such. I don't think anyone will want to leave tapes on the car on a regular basis. It totally ruins the look of the car.
Thanks for the info. I just wanted to find out what it was in case I ever took it to a track. Defintely would not be using it for daily street driving. :D

I searched Prime and even emailed Colgan but couldn't find an answer...Hoping bumping this old post will work.

I was looking for extra coverage for long road trips and track events. However, when looking at the Colgan website they offer 2 versions of their original bra for the NSX. One with a license plate cutout and one without the cutout. I have a SOS stealth plate and wanted to know if I can get the one without the cutout or not?

Seems like this one has the cutout since it looks like the plate is attached to front edge of bumper? Or on a bracket that holds it up really high? The SOS brackets holds the plate way lower.
132_3237.JPG

Looks like OEM on left. Looks like Colgan on right with the plate cutout. But is looks like this is the SOS bracket which is lower and they went back and covered the gap left with painters tape.

attachment.php

Anyone have a better pic of front or have used these that can chime in? Thanks

if using for track only then go ahead... for a daily NOPE.... any car I have put a bra on has F-ed the paint up with rubbing it to the bone.

track I would think would be the only time I would use the bra then after take it off and put back in trunk then drive home.

if using for track only then go ahead... for a daily NOPE.... any car I have put a bra on has F-ed the paint up with rubbing it to the bone.

track I would think would be the only time I would use the bra then after take it off and put back in trunk then drive home.

Only interested in temporary coverage at track or really long road trip across states. Have zero plans of leaving it on any longer than needed or even for a shorter couple hours drive. Of coarse since I already have my car wrapped this would just be additional protection and I really wouldn't need to worry about rubbing on the paint.

I think based on photos I will pick up the Colgan without the license plate cutout as the SOS plate bracket sits lower.

Good fitting bras that are kept very clean, and are used on well waxed cars, should not be a problem. Using them in the rain isn't really the issue either. Leaving a soaking wet bra on a car that then is exposed to the sun coming out and drying it out quickly at a high temperature is where the problems occur. Moisture gets under the clear coat. Some times the fogging/haze goes away and sometimes it doesn't. Letting a new bra warm up some in the sun before trying to strap it on is not a bad idea. A little 303 helps the vinyl be more supple also.

Back