• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the best year.

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here.

I have been shopping for a new car and have decided to go with the NSX. I like the pop up headlight style (personal preference). I have limited knowledge on the NSX so I was hoping that you guys could help me out.

There doesn't seem to be that many changes since 1991. Is there a specific year you would recommend. I have heard of the NSX NSX-T and Zenardi edition. I was thinking of a mid to late 90's.

Is there anything I should be wary of when buying a car. Are there any gremlins that this car has?

Any advice would be helpful.

welcome.gif

The 1991 model, particularly in red/black trim, is by far the best NSX to get. You can find further information in the FAQ:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/changesbyyear.htm

There is also an excellent guide to help you with the purchase process:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/BuySell/nsx_purchase_process.htm

In fact, the FAQ is a wealth of information that will probably answer most of your questions so far.

Good luck.

Most important think I guess in searching for a NSX is to take your time finding the right one.
Also, don't forget to ask any questions you can think of (after a search) here in Prime. I know I did when I started looking around for one and the information and knowledge of the members here is simply astonishing. It helped me a lot and met a few very nice people in the process.

Every year is the best year, if the one you pick meets your interior/exterior/mechanical standards. LOL. I have the "perfect" 1996, so guess what, it is the best year! Read EVERY FAQ entry for as much info as you can get, it will help tremendously. Good Luck and enjoy the process.:)

best year

i would have to say that 98 is the best year!!!!:D

and that you must get a white one..:D

To me, any NSX 97+ would be the best to get. I wouldn't spend a lot more money on a 2001 over a 97 unless you can't live withour perforated seats.. There are a lot of low mileage 97's going in the mid 40's now. I think it is a great deal.

kevinmtg said:
Is there a specific year you would recommend.
The first decision is whether you want an NSX Coupe or an NSX-T. If you want to be able to remove the roof panel for open-air motoring, get the NSX-T. If you don't care about that and/or if you want the additional rigidity of a fixed-roof car, get the NSX Coupe.

This decision will determine the years to shop for. Only coupes were sold for '91-94. Only the NSX-T was sold for '95 and '02-04. Only a handful of NSX Coupes were sold during '96-01, except for the Zanardi NSX in '99.

As for choosing a year:

If you want the best performance, then get a 1997 or later.

If you want an NSX-T but you would like to pay less than for a '97-04, then get a 1995 or 1996 NSX-T.

If you want to save still more money, then get a 1991-1994 NSX Coupe.

There are no specific years to avoid.

You should go through the FAQ to learn more about the car. Click on the word "FAQ" on the red bar at the top of your screen, the one that looks like this:
04jannavbar.gif

Of course the correct answer is a 1993. The last year of the much-loved and rare Sebring Silver, with no snap ring issues and the benefits of R134, the later armrest, the passenger airbag . . .

Biased? Not me . . . ;)

brahtw8 said:
Of course the correct answer is a 1993. The last year of the much-loved and rare Sebring Silver, with no snap ring issues and the benefits of R134, the later armrest, the passenger airbag . . .
Sebring Silver was last sold in 1993 too :)

- 1993-94 are among the best "coupes" for track use, particularly if you plan to do significant modding. 95+ are OBD-II, which is more complex (engine-management wise).
- IMO the best out-of-the-box track model is the limited 1999 (?) Zanardi -- if only it came in colors other than RED (!).
- 1995+ cars are mostly NSX-T, which give you the option of open-top motoring
- The 1997+ cars in general give you a better powertrain (3.2L motor and 6-speed tranny).

NSX have been in production since 1991 but by far the 1997 is the best year to get. It was the 1st year they offered the Bigger engine a 3.2 liter vs. a 3.0, it was also the 1st year 6 speed transmissions were available for the car. In addition they improved the brakes, exhaust, clutch, ABS, steering, traction control, anti-theft and a variety of other things. Since 1997 there have been no mechanical changes to the NSX, the only things they have changed have been minor cosmetic changes like the type of leather on the seats and different color options. In 2002 they came out with fixed HID headlights instead of the old pop up style, but that is about it. If you are interested I am selling my 97 check it out www.nsx4sale.com

The year you end up buying:D Really, you can't go wrong.

if i had to do it all again... the only cars i would factor out are the ones that have snap ring transmission and have NOT been repaired unless the owner compensated by lowering the price.

clutch and timing belt also. condition.. go to FAQ.

other wise anything 91-94

95 - up targa
97 - up 6 speed.

u decide :)

Wow, great thread!

I'm currently in the hunt for an nsx too, but in my area my choices are limited to about 4, and most seem to be 91-94 (at least in my budget range of $40-55K CAD).

I will definitely check out the FAQ before asking any silly Q's. Great so see such a great group of enthusiasts....any Canadians here?

John

The best years are 1991-2004. :D

In all fairness, any year NSX will be good, but any individual car can have problems.

Last edited:
Here is what I did when looking for my X which I just purchased April 1st this year.
I wanted the blue color, ended up with Long Beach Blue Pearl. Also wanted Blue interior. I started to look at the 91's with low miles, another consideration of mine (low miles that is).
I wanted the 6 speed and larger engine, plus a LEV car since I work for an environmental company. I also wanted the HID lights, even though I could install HID's in the pop ups, I went for the 2002.
Look up on this sight and find all of the changes throughout the years. How much money you want to spend is another consideration too. I finally found my car all the way on the other side of the U.S. had it trucked over. Maybe I paid a little too much for it but it was the one that I wanted and didn't want to wait for another one to show up, if it ever would !

BH

Back