• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bearcat "Repeater" Scanner vs Valentine One/Radar Detectors?

Hi all,

For Father's Day my family has given me a Bearcat BCT-7 Repeater Scanner. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with using these and any tips that I should know about re awareness optimization.

Lastly, does anybody here have a V1 AND this scanner... if so, any comments/observations about which you prefer?

Thanks in advance.
hal

I have a BCT-10 or was it 12? Anyways I like it. It works great for keeping tabs on po po and road and weather conditions. The only problem I have is that it seems to cut out for .1 of a second every 30 seconds, I don't know why but I can live with it.

Originally posted by queenlives:

Lastly, does anybody here have a V1 AND this scanner... if so, any comments/observations about which you prefer?

hal

Sorry, I don't have both, but I do have the V1. I've had about a dozen radar detectors over the years. There is no question that the Valentine is by far the best product I have used. I'm sure it has already saved me considerable $ even though I have only had my NSX since March.
Steve

I own both the Valentine 1 and Bearcat BCT-12 scanner, which is similar to the BCT-7 except that is windshield mountable, and the scanning frequencies are preprogrammed. I recently took an open road trip from Phoenix to LA using both the V1 and the BCT-12. Here a couple of observations regarding simultaneous use of both units. Since they monitor different signals (radar/laser vs Highway Patrol radios) I feel like the combination use offers more protection than either unit alone. There were times, especially on the LA Freeways, when the bearcat lit up, and the V1 was silent. On the open road, the V1 was more active. Please note however, that the use of both units simultaneously does NOT guarantee the detection of law enforcement. I had 2 different instances of being side by side with a highway patrolman or local policeman in an intersection in Suburban Phoenix and both units were silent. Simultaneous use of both units made me virtually the slowest car on the road. Once you use these tools, you quickly discover that radar is more prevalent than the general public realizes. People were blindly speeding into strong radar signals, and I was going the speed limit, and not one mile an hour over. I figure law enforcement would single out a red NSX even if I was in a crowd of speeders, so I chose to go the speed limit, even if I was the only car doing it. Hope this helps. I looked at the BCT-7, but liked the BCT-12 more because it was windshield mountable. You cannnot manually enter frequencies to scan, so if you want to monitor CB's, etc, the BCT-12 can't. The scanner seemed to pick up TV broadcasts in urban areas. There is no information on scanners in the FAQ's. Only information on radar detectors. Hope this helps.

------------------

Woops. I couldn't find the information about scanners in the FAQ's when I looked on my own. Lud's URL is correct. The information is there. I missed it.

------------------

Whats up ? The V1 has been seriously one of my best investments so far. I have had the original radar since 1994 and have just recently purchased the new improved unit this past X mas. It has saved me on so many occasions that it has definitely paid for itself.
I have tried the bearcat scanner.... I never found it to work as well as it has been posted. Therefore, I pretty much never use it... But invest on the V1 especially the conceal remote !!

Originally posted by queenlives:
Hi all,

For Father's Day my family has given me a Bearcat BCT-7 Repeater Scanner. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with using these and any tips that I should know about re awareness optimization.

Thanks in advance.
hal

I agree with Paul, I use a radar detector also. The BCT-12 uses radio frequenices to alert you that they are in the area. So if they aren't using the radio there will be no alarm, just like a radar detector if they aren't using the radar there will be no alarm. So thats probably why when you were sitting next to the at a stop light they didn't go off.

I TRY to stay close to the speed limit because my black NSX or a completely BLACK suburban, with polished 20s seems to stand out in traffic. My 2 cents.

What I don't understand is how a highway patrolman can be driving around without his radio on. It seems like they would routinely be left on, kind of like a taxi radio. Apparently not. Either that or the scanner couldn't pick up the radio in the car right next to me

What I don't understand is how a highway patrolman can be driving around without his radio on. It seems like they would routinely be left on, kind of like a taxi radio. Apparently not. Either that or the scanner couldn't pick up the radio in the car right next to me

Paul,

What I meant by on is, he actually has to be using it, so it broadcasts a signal. If hes not broadcasting the scanner can't pick it up. But as soon as po po calls into headquaters, if I'm in a 4 mile radius of his car my scanner alerts me with a warning. The closer he is, the higher the warning number. Does that makes sense now?

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 24 June 2000).]

The theory behind the Bearcat Scanner is that it picks up the repeater radios that the police use. These are portable radios that they wear, that transmit and receive between the officer and his/her patrol car when leaving the car. Normally these are left turned on all the time. That's the theory, anyway.

My Valenine-1 saved my ass lastnight on the way home, even though I wasn't in my NSX
frown.gif
I wasn't driving slow. As soon as I made a turn my Valentine went crazy before I built any speed and sure enough there was a cop parked on the side of the road between other parked cars. I haven't had it for very long but it has saved me quite a few times.

Which scanner to get?

I'm bringing this thread back to life. I've been on the Uniden website, but I know nothing about scanners. I don't see the BCT-10 or BCT-12. After watching Mischief 3000 (Gumball Rally) I figure it would be a good thing to have. Which is the best model for NSXers?

Kevin

I too run a V1 and Bearcat BCT-12 scanner. They work amazing together... sometimes the BCT-12 would go off and the V1 would stay silent... saved me a bunch of times.

It's hard to say, but I think if I had a choice, I may pick the BCT-12 over the V1... by a very small margin.

The BCT-12 has been off Uniden's website for a quite a while... it's unfortunate. I wish they'd make a new model.

nsxtasy said:
The theory behind the Bearcat Scanner is that it picks up the repeater radios that the police use. These are portable radios that they wear, that transmit and receive between the officer and his/her patrol car when leaving the car. Normally these are left turned on all the time. That's the theory, anyway.

I recall reading that when these scanners came out, the CHP modified their "mobile range extenders" to only turn on when the ignition is turned off. The CHP's MREs operate on one and only one frequency, so you don't really need a scanner. That frequency is so crowded in urban areas that the scanner is useless except in rural areas. And in those areas the CHP will be driving, not stopped. Buy the Valentine and conceal it.

I guess my question is which currently available scanner is the best for NSX'ers? It really doesn't do me any good to hear the rave reviews of discontinued merchandise... :confused:

kgb_agent said:
I guess my question is which currently available scanner is the best for NSX'ers? It really doesn't do me any good to hear the rave reviews of discontinued merchandise... :confused:

A quick check on the website for Uniden scanners shows that the BCT7 scanner is still available. This appears to be the only one still made with the "highway patrol alert" feature, that is what people here are referring to. It sells for $165-170 on various internet websites.

Although there may be a small repeater for hp officer to wear to transmit back to the car and then retransmit the signal, the main "repeater" is on a tower which picks up the mobile unit and then greatly amplifies the signal making it possible to communicate all over the state. The signal that the BCT picks up is the weaker mobile signal. Otherwise the BCT would be going off all the time when ever any cop in the state keyed up. Also earlier in this thread it was asked why the BCT seemed to skip every few seconds when receiving. This is the scan function, the skip occurs as the unit cycles through all the other programmed frequencies. To eliminate this, while the unit is receiving a broadcast push the lock button. You will only receive the selected frequency until you unlock it. ;)

Back