• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS pump making noise, stops, then light on?

For the past month, every morning when I started the car, the ABS pump made a pumping noise for about 60 seconds then it would stop. Tonight I stopped on some leaves and the ABS kicked in (it worked fine) then the ABS light came on. I restarted the car and the light was off, but the pump made that noise again for 60 seconds then the noise stopped and immediately the light came on. Brakes work fine, but not sure if the ABS works now?? Whats up with it?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Montoya said:
Ten minute fix with the dealer's brake computer hooked up to the wires coming out of the glovebox.

Not if it's a ABS solenoid valve stuck or anything else mechanical with the system. To cure mine, I had a full brake fluid flush performed with a week-end at the track.

Going to the following track week-end took care of my O2 sensor problem too ! Go figure, my car needs its track "fixes" every so often, then works better :D

That is true--about slamming the brakes to fix a stuck solenoid valve--but do it on a puddle or loose sand......

1. find puddle.
2. turn car on and wait for ABS pump to start trying to pressurize.
3. drive to puddle and slam brakes.
\might take two tries.

This has worked for me through the years on my 92

Brian2by2 said:
I've also heard that if you go out and just SLAM on the brakes and lock em up, that it cures it as well.
This is true.

Just keep in mind that you have to slam them REALLY HARD to get them to lock up. The NSX brakes will provide a lot of stopping power before you reach that point, so you really need to slam them down as hard as you can.

If you do it right, you'll probably hear the ABS pump cycle (as well as feeling the pedal pulse)...

Brian2by2 said:
I've also heard that if you go out and just SLAM on the brakes and lock em up, that it cures it as well.

Not an expert on NSX ABS, but will the system still work eventhough the ABS light is on ? my understanding from what T Bell says:
I restarted the car and the light was off, but the pump made that noise again for 60 seconds then the noise stopped and immediately the light came on. Brakes work fine, but not sure if the ABS works now?? Whats up with it?

is that his ABS light is on all the time now. I'm not sure the ABS will properly work, if he slams on his brakes... What Bryan2by2 says does work to unstuck the ABS solenoid valve when you occasionnaly get the light on, restart the car and the light stays off :confused:

unsticking antilock valve

On my 1992, I used to have this problem. I also corrected it by locking one side of the care at a time by driving on a grassy sholder and easlily locking up the tires. The light needs to be off. If it is on just cycle the ignition and it will go off. The computer is programed to turn off the pump after I think 90 seconds. This has fixed it for months.

Brian2by2 said:

Excepting our friends in the desert south west, it's easy if you wait until it rains and do it in a wet parking lot. Otherwise you may not get all 4 wheels to lock up on dry pavement but you will still feel the pedal pulse even if only some of them lock. You can also do it at a slower speed if the pavement is wet.

I have same problem as T Bell. I did the Dano fix (kinda fun doing it, BTW)where you cycle all the 4 solenoids and change the fluid, but
still have the problem-pump runs for 60 seconds or so, shuts off and yellow ABS light comes on. What to check now? :(

Brian2by2 said:

I did that in the rain but didn't cure the problem. Before the noise last for like a minute but now it makes the same noise for only 15 seconds or less :) so it's improving

Brian2by2 said:

I've tried that numerous times and the problem on my car.... used to kind of work in the beginning bu tnow the problem is just getting worse (pump is running more & more, even when I'm driving.... it's intermitent and turns on for a little while and then off, depending on how I'm driving the car :mad: ). I guess I'm going to try flushing everything out this weekend and see if that solves the problem. If that doesn't cure it, then I'm just going to unplug the ABS computer and run w/out it.... like what I already did with the TCS (no "not safe" talks.... no different than driving the car w/out ABS on the road course which I've done before)

I have the same problem too. My ABS warning light usually comes on after driving about 2-3 minutes. I tried bleeding the ABS Fluid but no luck. It must be a stuck solenoid valve... :confused:

Have you guys taken the time to check the dash ALB indicator code? (pg. 19-45). Knowing the malfunction code would greatly increase the odds of diagnosing the problem!

DanO

Back