• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Some next NSX info

From the V8 thread I posted:

The V-8 is also likely to appear on the next-generation Acura NSX coupe. The vice president said that vehicle "almost has to have a V-8" if only, as is the case with the premium sedan, for image. Despite some rumors to the contrary, Acura is working under the assumption that there will be a new NSX. Recent published reports have said that Honda will not turn its HSC coupe prototype from last year's Tokyo Motor Show into the new NSX, and the vice president said that the problem with the HSC is that its interior is not up to Acura's standards. He also said that Acura could install its new V-8 engine into a version of its popular MDX sport utility. Finally, the official said that, following recent announcements by competitors regarding similar plans, Acura is likely to begin selling cars in Asia -- but Japan will probably not be its first destination there.

First the they come out with the totally useless Element. Now there's talk of putting a V8 in the MDX. At this rate, we'll see a V8 in the insight before they put one in the NSX...

:rolleyes:

-- Joe

I had an interesting conversation yesterday with a gentleman that does auto show research for advertising agencies. While he has not done any work for Acura/Honda, in his work for other car companies at auto shows his perception was that the HSC was not well received. His “anecdotal measurement” was that among people not familiar with the NSX, they perceived the HSC to be a mid-priced/mid-performance car. More telling, among those familiar with the NSX, the HSC was generally perceived as less attractive than the NSX (a sentiment I would agree with). He opined that Honda would be crazy to develop a car that current NSX owners or would-be-owners aren’t rabid about since the NSX doesn’t sell well now. He also confirmed the perception that others here have mentioned that a Japanese sports car will never come close to commanding the price/prestige of competitors from Germany or Italy.

Obviously this is only a step above gossip, but it seems consistent with what we’re seeing from other sources. If it is accurate, debate about what engine will appear (if there is a successor to the NSX at all) should probably be best reserved for at least another year as it sounds like Honda is back at the drawing board and the successor won't show up until 2006 at earliest.

The hsc would have been a hit in 1997/8 when it was due for a major remodeling and before the 360 and twin turbo came out. So it looks like the hsc was built for the wrong era.

The HSC doesnt bug me as much as the fact that Honda is trying to promote this "green supercar" image with the hybrid DNX and HSC, yet they go and put out a bunch of gas guzzling SUVs.

SUV drivers generally want better gas mileage and sportscar drivers usually want more horsepower. SUV drivers probably wont object to a hybrid powerplant and most sportscar owners probably wont care about getting 10MPG if they got 500BHP. So why is honda trying to build a more efficient sportscar and a less efficient SUV? :rolleyes:

It just blows the mind...

-- Joe

I agree with Joe, I would purchase another MDX if it had a hybrid motor. Very disappointed with the 16 mpg I'm getting now. As for
the next NSX, 16 mpg and 400 hp would be just fine thanks!

Juice said:
It may be fine for you, but not for Honda. With that attitude you should buy a Ford or Chevy.

I think the point was that Honda claims to be a green company by saying that their high-end sports cars need to be environmental friendly yet they put out a bunch of gas guzzling SUVs. Considering there will be a lot more SUVs like the MDX or the Pilot sold than say a NSX, Honda doesn't really appear as green as they claim. Of course it's not just about gas milage but emissions too... blah... blah... blah...

Back