• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Harbor Freight Clicker Torque Wrench Failure

New - used it probably 5 times in the last 2 months - clicker torque wrench broke while torquing lug nuts at 80 lbs! It doesn't hold the pressure just keeps clicking with no tension.

Has this happened to others? Have others experienced the same with other brands? Seems to me this is a generic make that many other retailers brand their name on it but I may be wrong.

Torque Wrenches

I would not mess around with a cheap torque wrench, you get what you pay for with most tools, and when it comes to a tool which I stake your life on(making sure your wheels stay tight, or my main bearings are adjusted), my life is worth much more than $9.99!

I use an Armstrong which was about $85 as an introductory offer when one of my suppliers started carrying the brand. A torque wrench is a tool that most of us will never wear out in our lifetime, if it is not abused. Spend a little extra, keep it in it's case and enjoy the confidence of knowing your bolts are secure, not to tight, always just right!

My $0.02;)

Snap On make a really cool torque wrench. You don't need to reset them after use. I think it is around $250

Also, Kip Olson has a cool torque wrench which I don't recall the brand. It beeps and vibrate when the torgue value reached. I didn't even ask how much it cost after seeing his trailer and equipments. That guy has all the cool toys ever invented!

Back