• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pictures of your Valentine 1 radar Setup

Hi folks,
Can you all post pictures of your Valentine 1 setup whether it be hardwired or portable, it doesnt matter. If you use anything other then Valentine 1, you can post your setup as well.
Explain to us how you hardwired it. Please try to be detailed.
I just got my Valentine 1 and am looking for the best location.
Also, will window tint affect its performance?
And do we need to remove the t-top storage on top of the engine? It looks like it would be blocking the radar detector using Dali's radar mount.

Thanks again,
Calvin

Hi Calvin,

I don't have a picture, but I'll tell you where I mount the V1. I use the suction cup mount because I frequently switch it from one car to the other. I mount it sitting on the dashboard, shoved up against the bottom of the windshield, just alongside (right side) of the hump that contains the gauges. In that position, I believe any lights that light up on it are obscured from anyone directly behind me.

Hi,
I tried mounting it using the suction cups, but it kinda shakes and bounces around and eventually fall off the windsheld.

I just ordered the dali mount for the rear:
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=637

Im going to order the radar cover as well: http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html

Im thinking about ordering the rear view mirror mod for the v1, but dont know if I really want to spend the 300 dollars:
http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHomepage/Radar/RadarLove.html

I already have the Valentine 1 Concealed Display.
I wasnt sure if I needed the remote audio adapter, but since
the main unit will be enclosed in the box behind me in the center window and I wouldnt be able to get to it, I think I better buy the remote unit as well.

Did anyone buy the rear view mirror mod for 300 bucks?

Ill post some picks of my setup when I finish.
You know, Its not illegal in NJ to have radars, but I think they will pull me over just cuz Im in a sports car, with tint and have radar.
Im just afraid they will tell me I have hand over the radar to them.
Has this happened to anyone in NJ? It happened to my friend so I was just concern. What do u do if you get pulled over even if you werent speeding? Do u try to hide the radar? What if they pull you over for tint and see your radar? Any experience you share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again,
Calvin

NSXNXT said:
Hi,
I tried mounting it using the suction cups, but it kinda shakes and bounces around and eventually fall off the windsheld.
Try sliding the V1 back a bit in it's bracket until its rear rests against the windshield. Doing this stops any kind of shaking. Push the button at the front of the bracket, allowing the V1 to move fore and aft along the rail.

NSXNXT said:
Did anyone buy the rear view mirror mod for 300 bucks?

You know, Its not illegal in NJ to have radars, but I think they will pull me over just cuz Im in a sports car, with tint and have radar.
Im just afraid they will tell me I have hand over the radar to them.
You might want to order the rear view mirror mod then.

My V1 is mounted similar to Ken's description , but slightly higher up on the windshield. I'll try to take a pic.

-Randy

I also have the dali v1 coupe mount.
Here is a pic from dali, but mine looks the same.
I have tried everything except a screw to keep it in place and have found that the new 3M dual lock type velcro work great.
The only problem is the that it is a little too thick creating a little gap from at the base. A little recess (router?) should fix that.

edit:

Sorry just saw that you have a t. You would need to go with the back window box and remote display.

Attachments

• v1b.jpg
    v1b.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,399
nsxtasy said:
Hi Calvin,

I don't have a picture, but I'll tell you where I mount the V1. I use the suction cup mount because I frequently switch it from one car to the other. I mount it sitting on the dashboard, shoved up against the bottom of the windshield, just alongside (right side) of the hump that contains the gauges. In that position, I believe any lights that light up on it are obscured from anyone directly behind me.

Wouldn't that render it almost useless? I think on V1's site, they say it need to be up high, aimed down the road as parallel as possible and have no obstructions in its way. The way yours is mounted, I would think it would be too low? And that hump of leather on the dash would get in its way?

And the last picture looks like the rear-view mirror would get in its way.

I just mounted my V1 right under the rear view mirror and slid it back a bit in the bracket so its parallel with the road.

I use the suction cup mount to place the unit behind/to the right of the rear view mirror. If positioned just right, the rear view mirror will obscure most of the detector, save the window needed for rear detection. I use the remote display in the ashtray.

Ok, I went ahead and ordered the Invisamirror (http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html) as well as the remote from V1. I ordered the brackets from Dali as well.
Everyting should be in by next week.

I want to find a way to modify the bracket and disquise it as a 3rd break light in case the officer asks, "WHATS THAT BACK THERE". Im abit paranoid about cops around here. heheh

Man, it hurts the pocket spending bout a grand on this radar setup.

Calvin

Brian is correct. V1 directions say to mount it high. As far as suction cups, it seems like once you move them around a few times they never hold permanently.

When I settled on a spot for my V1, I used new suction cups and they have held for over a year now.

NSXNXT said:
Ok, I went ahead and ordered the Invisamirror (http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html) as well as the remote from V1. I ordered the brackets from Dali as well.
Everyting should be in by next week.

Stupid question, but if I wanted to buy an invisimirror, but KEEP my mirror & remote would the total cost be $299 OR $299+40+50=$389

Just cost you $299. You will get a refund of 40 plus 50 if you send your mirror and remote. (C=

Actually, its called "Concealed Display with band identification".
The remote is something else. I also bought that cuz I am concealing the v1 box on the dali bracket and apexcone box.
I will need the remote to turn off the radar when cop stops me.
Looks like youll need the remote if you dont already have one.
As for the conceal display I already bought from v1, ill just us that in my wifes bimmer when we go out. Im installing the invisamirror (concealed display) in the NSX.

Anyway, I also kept my original stuff.

Calvin

Dali Mount-Hard wired to the dome light (not switched power)...
I'm going to run a wire down into the dash and tap into a switched power source so that I don't have to remember to turn off the unit...

Tint: Non metallized film will not affect your signal strength, but any metallized film WILL (SIGNIFICANTLY).

I had my rear hatch and side windows done with 3m, non metallice film and then front windshield was done with V-Kool...(expensive-the best IMO, but metallized)...

After determining that it was really hurting my V1 signal strength, i went back to my tint installer and had him cut off a 'visor' section and do that area only with non metallized film... Now I have the best of both worlds. :)

Good luck with the coppers ;)

I mounted mine between the seats with Dali mounting brackett and hardwired it in. The remote display sits perfectly on steering column. I have the "third brake light" cover over the detector itself. The unit works great front and rear.

There is a fixed radar unit on a sign that tells you your speed as you approach in Pueblo. I can pick that up with detector 0.8 of a mile away from the front. After I pass it, I can still pick it up for 0.2 of a mile away and the radar is aimed in the opposite direction. When I'm going in the same direction it's aimed, it's difficult to say what the front sensitivity distance is, but I can pick it up after I've passed it for 0.5 mile which is would be coming into the rear of the car. This is with slight hills and several curves. I know it's not a scientific assessment, it just seems that the Dali mounting position between the seats doesn't compromise sensitivity, compared to when I had it windshield mounted. Looks sharp too. Don't have pics yet. I think the remote audio adapter will be necessary, because it's hard to get to the volume control with third brake light cover on.

Doc C, Id like to see your 3rd bake light cover.
I bought a cover from apexcone as well as the invisimirror, however, i dont think that cover looks good enough. I want one that looks like a 3rd brake light.
I got the same dali mount, invisimirror and remote.
Please post your pics when you get a chance.
Thanks,
Calvin

Hi All,
Well, here is the link to my Valentine One & ApexCone Invisimirror setup. I hope you like them.

nsx_1.jpg

More Pics
http://www.emusing.com/gallery/nsx_5.htm

Also, i have a question regarding the Dali V1 Mount. It doesnt seem to clear the engine cover. Am i suppose to remove the engine cover? btw, i will be ordering the JDM switch set from SOS.
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/Honda/switch_panel/
I will be uncasing the v1 remote audio switch and will try to mount the turn dial to the SOS JDM spare switch place holders.
Ill use one of the squares for the turn switch and the other hole for the ear phone plug. i hope it works.

Im very interested in the fake 3rd brake light cover. Who sells them? Anyone???

btw, for those of you who have removed the rear top interior trim right under the interior window, how come that trim doesnt fit as snug now? Its very loose. Did I break the clips and need new clips? Is this what happens when we remove interior trims? We need new clips each time? Let me know, mines is very loose. It pops right off now.
Thanks,
Calvin

Thanks
Calvin

I'll try and get some pics posted. I like the mirror!! The only thing I don't like about it is that people behind you can see you have a radar detector and give you a prestone enema all the time!!! Also, you still have to look away from instrument cluster to see the detector. That's why the "third brake light" look appealed to me. To each their own.

Here's what I did to mount a V1 on the rear firewall....

I made a mount very similar to the Dali mount, only much smaller so there's not that huge platform showing. It doesn't need to be anywhere near that size. You can get .064" aluminum at the hobby shop. I mounted the V1 *backwards* so the on/off button faces forward. I don't need the $300 mirror device, because the Vi is clearly reflected in my rearview mirror just because of the way it's mounted. Also, people can't see the V1 lights when they are on your tail. I stuck the remote audio device in the ashtray, center console.

I called Valentine tech and they assured me the sensitivity of the V1 is virtually identical pointing frontwards or backwards. Only one small glitch, the arrows are reversed, but that's quite easy to mentally adjust for, unless you're really dyslexic. It works great. If you can't handle the backwards arrows, take the top off the Valentine and mount it upside down, then the arrows will be true to life in your mirror.

Here's two pixs, one showing the V1 reflecting in the mirror, a method that works just the same on an NSX, and one pix that shows the V1 mounted in the center visor of the NSX. This is the best mount I've seen for the NSX. It looks OEM and is very easy to see and control.
These pixs are probably grainy, but I'm new at posting pixs and I if I try a better resolution I get blocked because the file size is too big.....

Attachments

• vi visor web 2.jpg
    vi visor web 2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,291
  • v1mirror.jpg
    v1mirror.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,458
Last edited:
NSXNXT,

I'll get pics posted of setup. Sorry about delay. Interesting about front/back sensitivity of V1. That sounds like a nice setup. The remote display on the steering column like I have is nice to mute the sound of the beeps when going through the city rather than having to turn around, but I am a self proclaimed lazy ass!!!!! :D Take care.

Bumping this for more install ideas.

My K40 is HORRIBLE. I'm either going to get a Bell 975-R professionally installed(had in my Type-R for 5 years and it was perfect). Or I'm going to step up to a V1, if I can find a way to do a stealth install that I like.

btcog82 said:
you must not of installed your K40 stealth system right...
anyone else have problems with K40 stealth system?
Mine's awesome!

It came with the car. I'm not sure how old it is, but from the reviews I've read online, a lot of people have trouble with the older ones to the point that they're 100% useless. Mine goes off in the middle of nowhere when I'm surrounded by nothing more then trees!

I have read the newer ones are very good though. How old is yours?

Back