• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wanted: NSXs to drive the Dragon

Any Southeast NSXers interested in driving Deal's Gap mid August?

I will be joining the group from ClubLexus and it would be great to have some other NSXers join up with us to lead the pack. We'll likely have a couple of S2000's, some BMWs, and a Porsche GT3 join the group of modified Lexus as well.

August 20 - 22 (main drive is on August 21), 2004

We've put up a website with (hopefully) most of the details. We'll be updating it as we lock in the full route, etc. so check back for the latest and greatest.

It's always a good time with a good group of responsible drivers, a challenging stretch of road, and evenings in the company of some fun car enthusiasts.

Click for a link to the Lexus Dragon website (www.lexusdragon.com)

If you'd like to attend, RSVP links are on the website or send email to [email protected].

If you have any questions, email me at [email protected].

I'll go depending on whether or not I'll have to work

just give me a call 803-665-4031

i am thinking about coming....but there is a track meet at vir that weekend also so i guess i am up in the air over that one. however i would like to get together with some other nsxers!

cwood1388 said:
I'll go depending on whether or not I'll have to work

Chris, do you know if you're going to be working yet?

We'll try to give you a ring to find out if you can make it - hope to see at least one other NSX out there!

prpv.jpg

yeah ill be out there

Chris,
When will you leave? I might..might now meet you in Cola and drive up with ya. Are you staying the night?

Chris, glad you can make it!

Reminder that the area of the Dragon is a dry county, you need to pack in anything with alcohol you want to drink (of course for the night before and after the Dragon drive, not during). It's a 45 minute drive each way to the closest store that sells beer carryout.

We put together a pretty exhaustive list of suggested stuff to pack you might find useful:

http://www.lexusdragon.com/suggested_packing_list.html

I'm going to setup a sign in sheet in the Microtel meeting room when I arrive on Friday afternoon. If I'm not there, can you please sign in when you arrive?

The sign in will ask for your name, your car / car color / plate, emergency contact information (someone not on the drive). I know they're goofy, but we've got enough folks coming that I'm going to bring some name badges this year, at least at first.

awesome! looking forward to the weekend.

After looking at the weblinks for this event, it is VERY well planned out, and every detail accounted for...
I would go, but my wife would be throwing up within the first three curves...

Have fun!

Doc R

docrings1 said:
After looking at the weblinks for this event, it is VERY well planned out, and every detail accounted for...
I would go, but my wife would be throwing up within the first three curves...

Have fun!

Doc R

Hey Doc,

She'd be dry after that and good to go for the remaining 315 curves, right? ;)

LakeHouse said:
Hey Doc,

She'd be dry after that and good to go for the remaining 315 curves, right? ;)

lol that is so wrong.

Tonight I'll be working on the car.

Lakehouse I'll call tommorow about the reservations.

just out of curiosity how far away is gatlinberg?

Maybe it's not the throwing up, per se, that is the worst part... it would be 300 instances of "oh, slow down, that's making me ill!" or "can't you take that corner a little slower, I am *SO* &^$#@ sick!!!"

Heading out the door now to go up! I'll have copies of the slightly tweaked agenda at the Hotel and the tapoco, along with maps. Here's a paste of the changes.

Agenda for Saturday, August 21

§ 8:15 – 8:30 AM Meet to grab breakfast with all who care to join, location nearby. Group leaves from the Microtel, meet in the parking lot

§ Gas up and wash your car now if you need to. Must be ready to leave at 11

§ 10 AM Optional discussion on approaching turns and braking in the Microtel meeting room, 1st floor

§ 11 AM Sharp Meet in Microtel Parking lot, already gassed up and head out on the morning ‘warm up drive’ en route to the Dragon Launch point.

§ ~11:45 we drive past the Tapoco Lodge and drive the Dragon slowly north. Some may choose to stop at the Dragon’s Tail Motorcycle gift shop.

§ ~12:30 stop at the lake at the end of the Dragon for a brief stretch
§ Return back via the Dragon to the Tapoco a little faster

§ 1 PM Lunch Meeting at the Tapoco Lodge & join any Saturday-Only meet participants

§ The Tapoco Lodge is 4 miles away from the entrance of Deal's Gap on the NC side. More info --> http://www.tapocolodge.com

§ This is the location where we will meet those folks who come ‘only for the drive’ on Saturday. If you want to prepare a mapquest map to the Tapoco, use this address as your destination. Their phone # is also listed below.
14981 Tapoco Road
Robbinsville, North Carolina 28771
828.498.2435 or 800.822.5083
§ We've made reservations for 35 people at their restaurant for 1 pm.

§ 2pm - 2:30 PM Gather group in parking lot, (including day-trip participants) and drive the Dragon (leave in groups) Those remaining folks that want to visit the Dragon Motorcycle Shop should go now.

§ Gather at endpoint to hurl, curse and cry. There are two very large gravel parking lots that are easy to spot where we’ll meet up. One is just before the lake, the other is right to the side of the lake. We’ll likely stop at both of them to take group pictures.

§ 3:30pm – continue driving loop north of the Dragon to link with the Cherohala Skyway.
§ Continue 129 north
§ 72 N / W
§ 411 South / West
§ 360 South
§ 165 East TN / 143 East NC
§ 129 back at the hotel
§ Here is a basic map of our planned route http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/dragonloop.gif

§ 7:30 pm Dinner for those spending the evening at a local pizza spot. We will make dinner reservations once we have a better count on attendees.

§ 9pm + Evening activities at the hotel (hang out, DVDs and Xbox, poker, adult beverages)

LakeHouse said:
It's about an hour and a half (or less depending how much you push it) from the hotel.

There is one guy looking to share a room still if you're interested.

Ah, cwood1388 - sorry you weren't able to make it. Although the weather was lousy, we were able to make a few runs and I think everyone had a great time. I did. We're putting some pics from the weekend up on the web & I"ll post 'em when done.

k

update: here's a link to pictures from the event.

http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/DragonsTail2004?page=1

Last edited:
Back