• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Program factory alarm

I wish I had something detailed to give you, but I have come across scant information on the Keyless Entry, as far as matching the codes in the unit to the codes in the Remote. The one thing I can tell you is that I had the Keyless Entry receiver out of a '94 Legend, and noted that it has a small slide switch on the side, with a position marked 'Program'. Beyond that, I can only speculate.

Whether you can use your Remote to program it, or if there is some magic dealer device, or if the NSX has no such switch, I have no idea. Maybe someone who has installed one has that information.

Regards,

Bill

Just a little more information. I now have an old Keyless Entry unit, and the installation instructions that were used to replace the unit. I did not do the installation The switch on the unit is actually called 'Learn'. I found no mention of how to program it, but you could just try using the Remote up close to the unit with the switch set to 'Learn', release the Remote and then switch the unit off 'Learn'. The actual procedure may be much more complex, to make it harder on thieves.

You did not say how the situation came to be, so I don't know why you think it is a programming problem. Usually, an electronic failure in the unit itself would be indicated by the symptoms, and would call for a replacement, which comes with the 2 matching Remotes.

If your friendly Acura dealer's service writer won't give you any clues about how to handle this, other than letting them replace it, I would just spring for the kit, making sure it has the same codes as the one you no have. The instructions don't look hard.

Good luck,

Bill

I have two remotes that didn't come with this car. They came with a previous x. The alarm works the remotes don't. It would be cheaper just to buy a aftermarket alarm then to replace the existing one. This is why I posted. If I can get the factory ones working then great if not oh well. Thanks for the info, do you have written instructions?

i have the factory alarm that came with my 99. when i press the button, the alarm sets and locks the door, but doesnt make any beeps at all. does anyone know if its possible to make the alarm beep when i press it?

Has anyone figured this out? I would like to get a second remote as a spare & have both remotes work. Is there an ancient Chinese secret or just keep hitting buttons while in learn mode? Where on the alarm is this switch hiding anyway?

I was told by Acura that the OEM keyless entry is made by Kentwood. I wanted replacement remotes for mine. They are available through your dealer. You will have to get the serial number from your unit and Acura can order the remotes. The remotes have to be coded at the factory,and I think they will only go back 10 model years. Check with your dealer.

cuts1200 meant to say "kenwood". You can also order a spare from www.daliracing.com".

It is not getting the spare that is the problem. It is programming the alarm to recognize the new remote without losing memory for the original remote (or just program them both in at once if it did lose the original memory). Why would anyone buy a spare remote if you couldn't get the alarm to learn its code? There has to be a DIY procedure for this. Like turn key on, flip learn switch on alarm, hit all buttons on all remotes, turn key off. Has anyone successfully done something like this and ended up with 2 functional remotes?

when i received my spare remote from daliracing, it was already programmed to work with my keyless entry. I had to provide them with my vin#, keyfob serial #, and the control box # and it comes programmed. There was no additional programming required.

Alright guys,

I'm going to tell you how to code these transmitters. I don't think Kenwood changed anything when they made them for Acura. Coding a brand new remote is easy, re-doing a remote from another car is possible but tedious. It will require some delicate soldering. I will write it up this weekend with some pics to explain the process. If you can't wait PM me for my number and I can probably explain it over the phone.

FYI, I sold Kenwood alarm systems when they first came out like 18 years ago!

Last edited:
Ni hao, Lance. I don't want to program in a non-Acura remote, just a second OEM Acura remote & end up with 2 that work. They can be had used & I don't want to spend $80 for a new one at the dealer. Whether the memory for the first one is spared and the second one is stored or the first one gets cleared out & then both get programmed in, I don't care.

creative338 said:
Alright guys,

I'm going to tell you how to code these transmitters. I don't think Kenwood changed anything when they made them for Acura. Coding a brand new remote is easy, re-doing a remote from another car is possible but tedious. It will require some delicate soldering. I will write it up this weekend with some pics to explain the process. If you can't wait PM me for my number and I can probably explain it over the phone.

FYI, I sold Kenwood alarm systems when they first came out like 18 years ago!

Anxiously awaiting this little nugget of wisdom...:smile:

Hey Tyra

OK, This was the last system Kenwood made as far as the remotes go. I believe the brain unit was designed for one code only so if you want to add a second remote they will have to match.

If you open up your original remote you will see the 2 batteries(remove) and a flexible circuit board held down with double sided tape. If you peel up the flexible board and remove all the tape it will expose a couple of surface mount components and the copper traces that form their coding grid. Notice there are 16 little dots along the copper traces with the number next to it. Write down the numbers that have there corresponding dot punched out, 1 through 16 as this is your code.

On your spare remote you need to match up the holes in the traces. Cut new holes according to your code 1 through 16. Kenwood furnished dealers with a little hole punching tool, you can probably drill it out or cut it out with an exacto knife. Now you need to reconnect any unwanted holes in the traces by soldering. To do this you need to scrape away the insulator on both sides of the hole exposing the copper trace. Then strip a piece of stranded speaker wire and cut off one strand. Use this strand to make a bridge on the copper trace, soldering it in place on either side of the hole. Be careful with the amount of heat you use, you don't want to melt through this flexible circuit board. Now insulate your exposed traces with electrical tape and apply a new piece of double sided tape. Install the batteries and test it out.

I don't have time to post any pics yet and I apoligize if these instructions aren't written very clearly. PM me if you need any clarification. If you need parts I have the keyless system out of my 97 including 2 remotes and a spare Kenwood.

Good Luck,
Lance

This is my last post as I do not know everything about this system. This system was the second generation and also last alarm system Kenwood made for the US market. From my memory of selling and installing Kenwood alarm systems, They would only store one code in the brain and only came with one remote. To code and extra remote you decoded the serial number or copied the existing by punching out the corresponding dots on the new virgin remote.

I replied to Tyra, because I believe this applies to his particular situation. In my humble opinion I don't think (I haven't tried this) the Acura keyless system (since it was built by Kenwood) will store a second code without removing the first, therefore the above referenced post would not help him out.

Later guys

Thanks creative. If I get to feeling ambitious I will pick up a used spare to experiment on. It sounds straight forward, but the teeny, tiny soldering sounds difficult.

Hello, sorry for the late post....what if the car didn't come with a remote at all, but has the alarm system? I keep seeing that I need the number off the original fob, but I don't have it...???

Any help here is appreciated.

JM

Here are the "Dgaetano" programming instructions.

Here is an older thread on this topic. Note my comments at the bottom of the thread.

I spent quite a bit of time trying the Dgaetano instructions, but never got the second oem remote I bought to work. I believe it may be possible to modify the keyless remote using the hole punch method, if you know how to do it - I don't.

Last edited:
none of these posts do anything, you need to buy new remotes from Kenwood for 89 bucks each they come pre programmed for your brain. If you car has the Brain.

you don't need the VIN since not all NSX's had this keyless option. the remote is programed with the brain. any remotes from somewhere else
WILL not work with your brain. 100% FACT.

buy new from kenwood. this subject has been beatin to death over the years. remotes from another NSX are paper weights.

Back