• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Mobile 1 Oil

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil, which has been around for more than 25 years, is changing its formula and viscosity ratings to reflect the latest changes in automotive technology. Starting in February 2002, Mobil 1 has been reformulated with a new secret ingredient called "SuperSyn" which Mobil says will improve the oil's anti-wear and anti-friction qualities even more. Mobil won't say exactly what SuperSyn is, but only that it is a special hydrocarbon molecule that takes synthetic oil technology to a new level of performance -- which will also be reflected in a price increase for Mobil 1.

The average shelf price today for Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils is usually $3.79 to $3.99 per quart. The reformulated Mobil 1 will probably sell for $4.79 to $4.99 per quart.

The new ingredient gives Mobil 1 a slightly darker color than before, which improves visibility when reading a dipstick. The new additive also allows Mobil 1 to pass a much wider battery of industry oil standards, including ILSAC GF-3, American Petroleum Institute's SL/SH/CF specifications, European ACEA standards and Japanese valvetrain requirements. The oil is approved for use in virtually all gasoline and light duty diesel engines, and is used as the factory-fill oil for Porsche, Mercedes Benz AMG vehicles, Aston Martin, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang R Cobra and Dodge Viper.

Mobil 1 will also be available in 5 different viscosity grades:

* 5W-30 -- For newer vehicles

* 10W-30 -- For older or high mileage vehicles

* 15W-30 -- For performance, hard use applications (excellent for turbocharged & supercharged engines, muscle cars, off-road trucks, etc.)

* 0W-30 -- For improved fuel economy & cold weather starting

*0W-40 -- For new European cars (meets Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and BMW requirements).

SYNTHETIC MARKET GROWING

According to ExxonMobil market research, synthetic motor oils now account for 14% of all retail motor oil sales. Of this, Mobil 1 has a 63% share of the market.

Synthetic motor oils have numerous advantages over conventional motor oils, such as greatly improved high and low temperature performance, greater resistance to oxidation and viscosity break-down, and potentially longer service life.

Though ExxonMobil has taken a conservative approach and says the oil should be changed at the interval recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (typically 3,000 miles/3 months up to 7,500 miles or more/12 months depending on the type of driving), a company engineer also said that if the OEMs went to a once a year 10,000 miles change interval, Mobil 1 would have no trouble meeting the standard. The oil is so stable that it shows little deterioration with extended drain intervals.

For more information about Mobil I, visit www.mobil1.com

------------------
92 Red/Blk

You certainly know a lot about Mobil 1! I have a few questions:

1) when switching from organic to synthetic, should you flush out all the original oil with synthetic so there's no cross-contamination, or is a simple oil/filter change sufficient?

2) Is it true that synthetic oil tends to look dirty faster than organic oil? If so, why?

3) What's the difference, if any, between Castrol and Mobil 1 synthetics?

4) This is a little off the topic, but is there anything wrong with using a Purolator oil filter, instead of the Acura OEM filter? (Purolator generically claims that thier filters meet or exceed OEM filter specfifcations.)

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

I don't know much about oil, just got info off Mobile One site.

The answers to some of your questions are located in the FAQ.

As for the oil filter, i would only use the OEM one from Acura.

------------------
92 Red/Blk

[This message has been edited by NormRD (edited 17 April 2002).]

I've read slightly different things on other forums. Mobil sued Castrol because Castrol called their Syntec synthetic when it was not. The court ruled in favor for Castrol so Mobil changed their formula to no longer be fully synthetic. I gather they did this to be more competitive in pricing w/ Castrol Syntec.

In a nutshell, Mobil-1 is no longer fully synthetic technically (although it's still considered synthetic).

Michael.

"The average shelf price today for Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils is usually $3.79 to $3.99 per quart. The reformulated Mobil 1 will probably sell for $4.79 to $4.99 per quart. "

but

"Mobil changed their formula to no longer be fully synthetic. I gather they did this to be more competitive in pricing w/ Castrol Syntec."

confused.gif

Would this not be controversial?

I've been trying to locate the threads that talk about the Mobil-1/Castrol Syntec thing, but w/ no luck.

Until I can find them or any other info, I shall retract my post.
smile.gif

Michael.

------------------
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

Originally posted by NSXY:
1) when switching from organic to synthetic, should you flush out all the original oil with synthetic so there's no cross-contamination, or is a simple oil/filter change sufficient?

A simple oil/filter change is sufficient.

Originally posted by NormRD:
The average shelf price today for Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils is usually $3.79 to $3.99 per quart. The reformulated Mobil 1 will probably sell for $4.79 to $4.99 per quart.

Around here, Mobil 1 has been selling for $4.69 a quart at most retailers.

Mobil1 now offers an "extended performance" grade. Just wonder if it'll be better for our cars if we were to change oil every 2k miles.

From Exxon website:

"Mobil 1 Extended Performance
You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed. "

If it can withstand extreme condition better than regular Mobil1, I'd try it. I think the price is the same as the regular Mobil1 anyway.

Any idea?

CDub said:
Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations.

Do all those extra additives mean that there's less actual "oil" in the formulation? :confused: Or are their quarts now over 1/3 bigger to make up for it. :biggrin:

Back