• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it possible for carfax to have no records on a used car?

Ok this was the vin#JH4NA1153M1003089 the dealer had listed as the vin#.
I entered attempted to get a carfax report and it came back invalid.After reading the FAQ i realize there should be a "T" for the(Assembly Plant)after the "M" for this model 91nsx. Acocording to the ad it had only one previous owner. I ran a report and got this message.

"The CARFAX©*database currently contains no records for this vehicle. Please check back again soon, as our database is continually updated.

Please note: We only collect information for passenger cars and light trucks. If the VIN you entered is not in one of these categories, CARFAX may not have data for this vehicle."

Is it because it had only one previous why there is no records?
Correct me if i'm wrong but there should be records on who the previous owner and stated?
I have emailed the dealer requsting verification of the vin#.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Oh forgot to asked according to the vin# and the FAQ on snap ring, would it be safe to asume this is not with in the snap ring range?

JH4NA1153MT003089

snap ring range- transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978.

It's possible that Carfax has no records for a valid VIN. They do not necessarily collect every single source of information. The fewer times the title changes or other records (particularly government records) are created, the fewer entries in Carfax - and if they miss a few, it could be zero.

You would have to check the transmission number to be sure, but there is an extremely strong likelihood that this car had a transmission in the snap ring range when it left the factory. Snap ring transmissions started being installed in cars beginning somewhere around VIN MT002500, and by the end of the 1991 model year (which was around MT003220), almost all of the five-speed NSXs being produced had transmissions in the snap ring range.

nsxtacy- so would it be safe to say that vehicles with vin#'s before MT2500 or after MT3220 are out of snap ring range? or could there still be a possiblility?

sgvnsxrated said:
nsxtacy- so would it be safe to say that vehicles with vin#'s before MT2500 or after MT3220 are out of snap ring range? or could there still be a possiblility?
NSXs with VINs less than MT002500 are very unlikely to have a transmission in the snap ring range. Basically, they would have had to have the transmission replaced in the first three years they were on the road. How likely is that?

I guess you didn't understand when I mentioned MT003220. That was approximately where the 1991 model year ended. The 1992 model year started with NT000001. And many of the 1992 cars are in the snap ring range. Some of which have been repaired.

You still have to check the transmission number to be absolutely certain, though.

b.gill said:
Snap ring range can not accurately be determined by the vin # (as stated earlier).
That's not exactly true. The VIN number can give you an excellent idea whether the car had a transmission in the snap ring range when it left the factory. Totally accurate? No - cars that left the factory before the snap ring range transmissions were manufactured could have had the transmission replaced, for example - but the odds are extremely high that a car with a VIN less than MT002500 has a transmission number lower than the snap ring range. And the odds are extremely high that a 1991 car with a VIN higher than about MT002700 has a transmission number in the snap ring range (or did, when it left the factory).

b.gill said:
If the trans is JH4NA1153MT003089 as you listed, this is out of range and you are fine.
Not true. That is not a transmission number. That is a VIN number - and the car with that VIN almost certainly had a transmission in the snap ring range when it left the factory.

Back on the CARFAX thing, I usually do all of my own work on my cars, for example I bought a brand new Integra GSR in 1997 (98 model) and had it for 5 years. During that time, its CARFAX was empty, because I never had it to a dealer, and I was the only owner. During that time it went under tons of mods....Turbo, race susp, BBK, Re-built motor w/ JE pistons Eagle rods, ACT 2600 clutch lightened flywheel etc etc etc. In my case, CARFAX would give you 1% info about my car. The best way is to use CARFAX as a start, but then get the car to a shop, and get it in the air and thoroughly inspect it. Drive it, look over the frame etc etc. Have a leakdown test done on the cooling system, also inspect the A/C, and have a comp check done as well. This will give you the most info.

nsxtasy said:
NSXs with VINs less than MT002500 are very unlikely to have a transmission in the snap ring range. Basically, they would have had to have the transmission replaced in the first three years they were on the road. How likely is that?

You still have to check the transmission number to be absolutely certain, though.

That's not exactly true. The VIN number can give you an excellent idea whether the car had a transmission in the snap ring range when it left the factory. Totally accurate? No - cars that left the factory before the snap ring range transmissions were manufactured could have had the transmission replaced, for example - but the odds are extremely high that a car with a VIN less than MT002500 has a transmission number lower than the snap ring range. And the odds are extremely high that a 1991 car with a VIN higher than about MT002700 has a transmission number in the snap ring range (or did, when it left the factory).

Not true. That is not a transmission number. That is a VIN number - and the car with that VIN almost certainly had a transmission in the snap ring range when it left the factory.

My answer was from the link I provided...
---
Which Cars Are Affected?

The snap ring failure is limited to transmission numbers J4A4-1003542 through J4A4-1005978. These transmission numbers are limited to 1991 and 1992 model year vehicles. You cannot determine whether a car is in the range for possible failure by VIN number, you MUST check the TRANSMISSION NUMBER because the transmissions were not installed in sequential order by VIN number. See Locating Engine and Transmission Numbers for instructions on locating the transmission number.

It is important to note, however, that the problem does not exist on all transmissions in this range.*The range simply identifies transmissions which may have the problem.
-----
If this is incorrect, let me know. I have a 91.

Back