• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recent Post DIY coilover install

I just saw a nice DIY writeup on a coilover install someone wrote a few days ago. Where did it go? I searched for 30 mins.

Any idea?

I'm going to go completely by memory on this one.... Please bear with me as i haave had a little too much to drink tonight.

FRONT

- Get the car up in the air on 4 jack stands.
- Remove wheels
- Open hood
- Remove 3 plastic caps per side, in the wiper cowl plastic, to access the top strut bolts.
- Undo 12mm bolts that hold the brake lines to the front struts.
- Undo the 17mm nut and bolt holding the bottom of the strut.
- Loosen some of the plastic clips that hold the fender liner in.
- Undo the 17mm nut, and bolt securing the upper A-arm to the subframe.
- Pull the fender liner away from the inner frame a little
- Slide that LONG 17mm bolt forward into the gap that you made buy pulling the liner back.
- Rotate the pupper control arm out of the way
- Press down on the lower control arm, and liberate the lower strut mount.
- Set you front coil over to the proper spring preload, height, and dampening
- Take new coil-over strut and work backwards to step 1

REAR

- Take off rear wheels
- Open hatch.
- Remove rear plastic vent/garnish between the hatch & trunklid.
- Remove upper strut bolts
- Move to under the rear, and unbolt the 4 12mm bolts that hold the sway bar bushing brackets to the rear subframe.
- Remove the lower strut mounting bolt nuts
- Slide the sway bar endlink/strut mounting bolt rearward.
- Becareful, the lower strut mount is very close to the CV boot, and it is quite common for someone to accidentaly nick the CV boot cause it to sling the wonderful gooey stuff all over the place.
- Remove Strut
- Take new coil-over strut and work backwards to step 1

If i left anything out, normally i would appologize, but i warned you i was drunk.

Goodnight fellow NSXr's
-Ray

Last edited:
Too funny..

thanks for the writeup..

We are going to attempt to install some Tein-RA's tonite. Any recommendations on how to configue the coilovers before mounting?

make sure you raise the spring perches so that the spring is touching the top perch. So it is not loose, (less chance so clanking noises)

other than that its, drive & adjust

-Ray

Aight..

Everything went in nicely..

I was totally expecting a nightmare when reading about it. I was lucky enought to have a lift and air tools, so I think we could do a car in under 1hr now that we know what we gotta do..

Thanks for all your help!

Now for the tedious adjusting ....

Back