• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ECU Removal

Can anyone guide me to references to remove the ECU from my '91 NSX? I cannot access the bottom 2 bolts because they're blocked by the black cable. Also, are the connectors removed by simply pulling on them?

The connectors are removed by pushing in a small (1/4" ) tab on one side of them; you only depress it a small amount, but, once you do, the connector will slide right out.

I don't know what you mearn by the black cable; can you just slide it out of the way?

I guess it's technically not a cable but a groummet (sp?) containing the bundle of floor wirings. It runs right across the length of the ECU covering the lower 2 bolts. No, I can't slide it aside. There's no slack. I've read a couple of technical bulletins that include pictures of the removal. They all show the "cable" already loose. No mentioning of how to get it away from the ECU.

Hmm, when I removed the ECU it was pretty easy. If I remember the cable correctly, it's anchored with a 10mm bolt down near the center speaker. Just follow the cable at both ends, there ought to be points where it's held in place. Wish I could help more...

brilchu said:
I guess it's technically not a cable but a groummet (sp?) containing the bundle of floor wirings. It runs right across the length of the ECU covering the lower 2 bolts. No, I can't slide it aside. There's no slack. I've read a couple of technical bulletins that include pictures of the removal. They all show the "cable" already loose. No mentioning of how to get it away from the ECU.

Make sure you've removed the two bolts on the bottom that retain the ECU. They are hidden by the wire harness you're refering to. Once all 4 are removed, lift up, then out. Make sure to first remove the main wire harness as well as the VTEC sub harness.

Cheers,
-- Chris

I know this thread is older than some of the forum members-), but as I faced the same issue some guidance for people who should read this
thread in the future and who are facing this issue as well:

If you loose the center bulk screws as well as the screw which hold this metal piece in place of the ECU, you can pull and slightly slight up
this black big cable tunnel and access the bottom screws of the ECU as well.
It's a bit trial and error but it works

Can anyone guide me to references to remove the ECU from my '91 NSX? I cannot access the bottom 2 bolts because they're blocked by the black cable. Also, are the connectors removed by simply pulling on them?

Back