• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

996 turbo, GT3 and 997S superior to NSX stock or modified??

I hope my thread title has not offended anyone. ;) But seriously, I really could use the insight from fellow members on my dilemma.

Does a stock 2004 NSX even come close to the current Porsche lineup in terms of handling dynamics, braking and overall performance feel excluding acceleration? Does it even compare to the old 993 turbo? If not, can it be improved by the aftermarket to exceed these cars?

I know when the NSX was introduced in 1990 it was overall superior to the 911. However, the 911 has continually improved over three generations since 1990, while the NSX has essentially remained the same.

I recentlly sold my 996 twin turbo and purchased a 2004 NSX. I thought I was getting a more pure driving experience in the mid-engined, rear wheel drive NSX versus the 996 turbo, which I felt at the time was boring because the AWD system made the car feel "too" competent. But now I am having serious doubts if I made the right decision and seriously confused. :confused: I only have a couple of complaints:

1. Underpowered
2. Excessive understeer
3. Suspension is soft.

I thought the NSX would be an excellent platform to modify, but I am finding out that is not the case. My initial plan was to turbocharge the car, but this is currently unavailable for OBD II cars and doesn't appear to be available any time soon. I drove a Comptech supercharged car, but found it disapointing in my opinion. However, I don't see any other options to get the mandatory extra fulltime 100 horsepower I feel I need to keep my interest level.

I have also been considering installing an NSX-R suspension package along with a BBK hoping this would give the car the extra edge in the handling department. Would this bring the car on par in handling with a GT3 or a 996 turbo? I have driven a GT3 and was very impressed with the car. It just seems to have a sense of urgency and excitement that the NSX lacks.

Do you guys think adding the blower, NSX-R suspension and BBK will make the NSX approach or exceed the driving experience offered by a GT3 or 997S?

I really want to love my NSX, but I don't want to spend $20,000+ in modifications and have a car that still not as fun to drive as the P-car.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Sandy

After a 996 Twin Turbo another car is bound to feel underpowered.
Look what the Twin Turbo/suspension/brakes change of the 996TT does to the price of the base 996.
To get similiar feel expect to spend that much additional on the NSX.
The NSX to the base 996 is more apples to apples.
When it comes to comparisons to a 996TT the whole car spectrum narrows fast.

IMO, the Porsche GT3 is the best option for pure performance in a street car.
You would have to do ALOT to your NSX to match it.

As an NSX owner, I would encourage you to stick with the NSX.
You don't need the BBK, unless you really want the looks.
That will save you big $.

Add the Comptech SC. You will get 100hp at the crank.
Then you can also add the high boost kit for an extra 20 or so hp to the wheels. Add headers, exhaust and intake. Only add the NSX-R suspension if you are going to track it. Otherwise, get the Zanardi suspension, which is cheaper. All this will be about $15K or so.

I can't say that you will definitely be happy with this, but this is how I'd recommend sticking with the NSX. Otherwise, sell it and get the GT3 - it is awesome.

There are many other options than the Typr-r suspension from H&R or Eibach with adjustable Koni yellow shocks, to a full coilover such as Tein or HKS.

There are many BBK's out there too, that are very inexpensive $2k or less, and YES they will out perform the OEM system.

There is weight that can be removed, all the way from an easy 150 lbs (bolt-on IHE, spare tire seats etc, to major weight reduction. A friend of mine has an NSX that weighs 2,300 lbs :eek: There are other things to do to add some quickness, such as SOS NA kit that will reach an extra 100 bhp, or adding a closer ratio gearing package.

The most important thing to remember, "Are you up to your cars potential?" I have beaten many 911 turbo's and GT3's etc with my turbo integra, and even the NSX, due to my abilities were higher than the other drivers abilities in their car. Very few of us are @ 100% of the NSX's ability (I still tap the brakes before the "kink" @ RA!) Juan Montoya goes flat-out through there with a champ-car (one of the ONLY drivers to do it).

A birdie told me that Factor-X is VERY close to having the turbo kit ready for your year.

Sandy
My .02 , The Porsche GT3 is pretty much the benchmark in your comparison. It is the most docile of the cars that you have chosen to compare. NSX-R we don't get them so you would have to build your own. Now as a past 993Turbo owner and numerous 911's, One setup very close to a 3.8RSR, I can honestly say that my NSX with the 6lb comptech kit was a faster car with me driving. I was faster in that car than any other car I had driven. I have seen people in stock NSXes thrash people in all of the cars that you mentioned. I would work on the suspension and brakes before exploring Forced induction. Did I say that?
Seriously, if you are just looking for power that pronounces itself as sonn as you hit the pedal, than get back to the 996TT, The CTSC NSX will run with every car that you have named period. BTDT. Now with the difference in drivers you never know what you are going to get. How well do you drive, are you just talking street racing? Straight line?
Road course? I mean you have plenty of posts on Prime with owners telling you of the cars that they have run up against, on the street, road course or otherwise.

The 997s is just the 996 with a little more hp and suspension changes. It is not going to blow the 91 NSX let alone a 2004. I have done or am currently doing the 20K upgrade to my car that you speak of, However, I am doing it to a 95 (OBDII) There are solutions out there, just be ready to wait and wait. I don't understand what you on the handling either. The NSX, with a capable driver Handles as well or better than the cars you compare it to.

The NSX has to be driven much differently than the cars you are comparing it to. How much High performance driving are you doing? Can you drive the wheels off of the car? I am just asking, because if you can then Buy a GT2, very few people have mastered that car.

regardless of the changes that have been made in the NSX, it is still on par with the cars that you have mentioned. The 911 hasn't changed all that much, significant changes did not happen until 98-99's 996.
The 911 is what 41 years old, and the changes that have been made are relatively small.

Have you been to FactorX, see what have in terms of FI for your stock block. Again, other than the 996TT and GT3, which I have spent a considerable amount of time driving, I don't understand what you are truly looking for.

I sounds like you need to buy a GT3 or GT2 to get what you want, The NSX in the form that you have it, will never feel like those cars. I will say it til the cows come home.
I have spanked a 993TT and a 996TT as well as a Mallet Corvette with a 6lb CTSC car, I should add that I have the entire exhaust with it and a 4:55 in the trans. Eibachs, Koni's, and Regular brakes with different rotors and fluid.

I am a decent driver, the other guys were as well or better.
I am not biased at all, I was just like you when I bought the NSX, Porsche! Porsche! Porsche! until I learned how to drive the NSX. Other than HP, the car really doesn't give up anything to the cars you have stated.

You could do what I am doing a, building a 73RSR clone and stuffing a 3.6 with a SC in the back end. No power brakes, no power steering, No computer assists. Just you and the Gas pedal....
JAO

Hi guys,

I am pleased to read lots of helpful responses to my inquiry. I first want to thank you for all your input. I really could use the help from the community. Maybe I should explain a little more about myself and what I am looking for in a sports car. Here goes:

1. I use the car daily and not just on the weekends. If I don't need to carry a passenger, I will choose it over the sedan. I love to attack every corner I encounter on the street.

2. I consider myself a good driver, but that's about it. I attend 2 to 3 track events a year and drive in the advanced group in DE's.

3. The car is strictly a street car, that will be used for the occassional dirivng event.

4. I have yet to drive my NSX on the track, but have had lots of experience doing so in my 996tt, M5, and ZO6.

5. I want to improve the car's handling dynamics, power and make it more involving to drive. The GT3 is the benchmark I want to meet and possibly exceed. I don't know how to explain it, but the GT3 seems to have this fun to drive quotient that I feel my stock NSX lacks. Does this make sense? Can the NSX reach this similar plateau? Am I blind to the NSX's abilities?

6. I am willing to spend up to $25k to meet my goal, but I don't want to go though the process to be dissapointed. This why I am asking for your help, since there are so many knowledgeable people on the board who may have gone through my same issues.

As I have said previously, I really want to love my NSX. I just want to takje the right steps in getting the car where I want it to be without too much experimenting.

I appreciate all your help. Thanks!

Meeyatch1 said:
I was wondering exactly the same thing....

I bought the car sight unseen. Probably wasn't the smartest thing I've done. However, I did drive another NSX previously, but it was a short test drive.

CerberusM5 said:
...The GT3 is the benchmark I want to meet and possibly exceed. I don't know how to explain it, but the GT3 seems to have this fun to drive quotient that I feel my stock NSX lacks. Does this make sense? Can the NSX reach this similar plateau? Am I blind to the NSX's abilities?...

If you are using the Porsche GT3 as your benchmark, this may be a long road to go down. The GT3 is one of the best handling cars in existence, and has some nice power to back that up. With your NSX you will be able to get close, but I am not sure if you will be able to get the same raw power you seem to like from your 996TT. It is really up to you on which route to follow. I love my NSX's very much, but I would drive a GT3 every day if it was sitting in my garage. It is just one heck of a nice car.

If you look at the total package (service costs, reliability, performance etc) the Acura affords to it's customers + warranty without an attitude- 4yr 50K
in your case, the NSX wins hand down. Take 15K, do the CTSC, Zanardi
suspension and smile to the people in the know who give you the thumbs up.

The only thing you'll miss are the rental/loaner cars they so begrudgingly
offer (if you're lucky) when you take your Porsche in for what they feel
are non existent problems.

At $110K the GT3 is an attractive package, but just ask the owners who are doing a class action for defective ceramic brakes and how they're being
treated by PCNA how they are feeling right now..........

Steve Werre
Seattle
'01 Spa Yellow T
'04 S4 Avant
'04 Titan
'03 MDX

CerberusM5 said:
5. I want to improve the car's handling dynamics, power and make it more involving to drive. The GT3 is the benchmark I want to meet and possibly exceed. I don't know how to explain it, but the GT3 seems to have this fun to drive quotient that I feel my stock NSX lacks. Does this make sense? Can the NSX reach this similar plateau? Am I blind to the NSX's abilities?

As a current owner of a GT3 my suggestion would be for you to take your NSX to the track so that you can get a glimpse and a feel of what the car is all about and then decide.

I've given rides on the NSX to friends who race with PCA, when they get out of the car they always comment on the great handling characteristics of the NSX as well as the sense of speed that you get because of the seating position in the car.

It's not all about HP numbers either, driving a 996TT you feel disconnected and kind of isolated from the car a bit, the car feels numb and heavy even when you have ton's of HP. On the other hand the GT3 feels light and nimble in comparison, but there is quite a bit of bump steer, you feel every single bump and crack on the road when you drive the car on rough roads, as a daily driver it can become annoying.

Regular 996's and 997's are dime a dozen :p

Good luck!

Ken

BTW: Anyone with a brain would not order PCCB's the stock brakes on the GT3 work just fine, those PCCB's were more for bling! (Yellow caliper vs Red) :D

Last edited:
2slow2speed said:
As a current owner of a GT3 my suggestion would be for you to take your NSX to the track so that you can get a glimpse and a feel of what the car is all about and then decide.

I've given rides on the NSX to friends who race with PCA, when they get out of the car they always comment on the great handling characteristics of the NSX as well as the sense of speed that you get because of the seating position in the car.

It's not all about HP numbers either, driving a 996TT you feel disconnected and kind of isolated from the car a bit, the car feels numb and heavy even when you have ton's of HP. On the other hand the GT3 feels light and nimble in comparison, but there is quite a bit of bump steer, you feel every single bump and crack on the road when you drive the car on rough roads, as a daily driver it can become annoying.

Regular 996's and 997's are dime a dozen :p

Good luck!

Ken

BTW: Anyone with a brain would not order PCCB's the stock brakes on the GT3 work just fine, those PCCB's were more for bling! (Yellow caliper vs Red) :D

Hi Ken,

Do you have any suspension work done on your NSX? How do you compare the NSX and the GT3 pure handling terms? Could you please quantify how much better the GT3 is in comparison to the NSX?

For example, does the GT3 handle 20% better, but rides 50% stiffer?

Do you think an NSX with maybe an NSX-R suspension approach the GT3's handling prowess or is it going to take more work?

Thanks.

Buy a C6 Corvette with a 6 speed and Z51 suspension for about 47K, and bank the other 60K :D :D :D

f66284a5.jpg

Last edited:
JSMDMD said:
Buy a C6 Corvette with a 6 speed and Z51 suspension for about 47K, and bank the other 60K :D :D :D

Or wait a year and buy a used C6 for 38k :rolleyes: Or wait 3 years til' they get SOME of the bugs out.... maybe. :D

Back