• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gruppe M vs. Taitec Parallel Exhausts

Anyone using a Gruppe M exhaust?
I've had a Taitec Parallel on my last NSX.
I'd like to replace the factory exhaust
on my '98 NSX. The Taitec had a nice sound--
best heard in tunnels or passing through underpasses.
It was louder than the stock exhaust and a bit more throaty.

I've heard the Gruppe M (with CAT fittings) is quite loud
after 5,000 rpms. How is it in the lower range? How does it compare
to the Taitec Parallel?

The Taitec is 1/2 the price, but is the Gruppe M (not the
Titanium) worth the price?

Any comments, suggestions, or experiences would be welcomed?

Larry T

First thing that you need to know is that GM only directly bolt on to 91-94 cars.

The exhaust sound is very subjective. If you like an aggressive higher pitch sound and a low idling noise level, then GM may fit that requirement. It only weight 20lbs including the y-pipe that replaces both cats. You can't run it with cats though.

If you have a limited budget and want to be smog legal, I have heard the Taitec lightweight GT exhausts and they sound aggressive and nice too. It only weights 18lbs but you do have the weight of the 2 cats.

Don't forget an aggressive exhaust almost always comes with cabin droning. So if it is your daily driver, you may look for one that is easier to live with.

CDub said:
SilverOne actually has a 91 with Taitec JGTC and a 94 with GM v3 sitting in his garage. He may be able to give you some feedback.

Hehe, I saw the title of the thread, and thought.., how perfect, my favoriate topic. :)

I loved the Taitec when it was new, as time goes by, the low throaty sound became hard to bear on long drives because of the cabin drone that it creates. The low throaty sound becomes a great scream pass 5k+ RPM, and that is music to my ear, especially in a tunnel.

In comparison, the GM is so much easier to live with at the low RPM. There is no cabin drone and barely any exhaust note at cruising speed. The distinctive tone comes on when you get on the paddle. The unmistakable high pitched scream at 5k+ RPM is orgasmic. IMO, is the closest sound to a Fcar that alot of people are looking for in a Tubi. (Tubi is also very nice, ALOT easier to live with in terms of loudness compare to both above).

Between CDUB and myself, I think we're lucky enough to have heard most of the popular ones in person, Anytime, GM v2, GM v3, Tubi, Taitec JGTC, Taitec lightweight, Taitec GT, Comptech, RSR, Flowmaster, ARC. I would say that GM is the best sounding at the high end, and easy to live with on the low end. In a tunnel at 7k+ RPM, the Taitec will alert EVERYONE to get outta the way as you fly by. With the GM in the same setting, it WILL hurt your ears and make the hair on back of you neck stand up! But I can assure you that you will ask for more! :)

I won't comment on price or whether one is worth it or not. I think that is up to the individual to decide. Highly recommend to hear them in person to decide. I do have some sound/media files, if someone wants to host them, I'll be happy to share.

Along the lines of this discussion, I'm looking around for a replacement to teh stock exhaust: the only requirements are it is as light, if not lighter than the stock exhuast, does not have huge grape fruit launching tips and it is reasonably quiet.

It appears the most liveable exhaust is the Tubi one, but I believe they are unavailible. Perhaps a Taitec one with the silencers put in? Recently there was a thread about the F1 Super 4 exhaust from Taitec...has anybody heard it in person? The lay out is similar (reversed, I believe) from teh Tubi so I figured the sound may be similar. Maybe if Taitec were to come out with that exhaust that you could use their silencers in...

What I would be most interested in would be something that sounds like teh Mugen Twinloop exahust they have for the Integras.

I'm in the Bay Area and really hope I can catch up with the Bay Area gang to see what the exhausts sound like.

--
George

NSX&RX7 said:
I real appreciate all feedback.

Anyone using the Tubi?
Any thoughts here?
What is the price of the Tubi?
Any dealers around?

Again.
Larry T

Had one for around a year (~3k miles) and very easy to live with and the sound was a nice baritone pitch. No droning, you only get the exhaust note when you are on it. Beautiful tips, although they are changing their tips design, I heard.

Problem with the Tubi is that they are hard to come by. You can see a group buy going on right now and they are still waiting for that shipment after close to a year now.

Price is around $1700 and SoS sells them.

SilverOne said:
Hehe, I saw the title of the thread, and thought.., how perfect, my favoriate topic. :)

Between CDUB and myself, I think we're lucky enough to have heard most of the popular ones in person, Anytime, GM v2, GM v3, Tubi, Taitec JGTC, Taitec lightweight, Taitec GT, Comptech, RSR, Flowmaster, ARC. I would say that GM is the best sounding at the high end, and easy to live with on the low end.

OK... What I really need is to decide between the GM V2 and V3. So, what are your impressions/observations between the superseeded V2 and the current V3?

can anyone host silverone's sound files? :smile: would love the chance to hear those two exhausts

thanks,

rk

I would host them, but I'm running low on disk space...

I would love to hear a sampling though :biggrin:

AU_NSX said:
OK... What I really need is to decide between the GM V2 and V3. So, what are your impressions/observations between the superseeded V2 and the current V3?

Please allow me, SilverOne since I had the V2 before the Tubi and now I've the V3 on my car.

Sound level between the 2 are very similar. It is amazing how GM can tune the V3 to sound so much like the V2 with a 10lbs difference and a pair of different canisters.

The sound characteristic of both versions are very complex. The sound of the exhaust during idle, acceleration and deceleration are distinctively different. The tone of the V2 tend to be a little fuller and smoother and the V3 is sharper and slightly less bass. Personally, I like the V2 better

Weight - V3 all the way. Although the V2 is already light, but the V2 is even lighter by close to 10lbs.

tips - V2 has the quad tips and the V3 has the dual oval tips. I like the quad tips more.

Either one you get, you can't go wrong, unless you want a quiet exhaust. Good luck finding a V2 though. I do know someone has one in SoCal that is mildly consider selling his.

You can get the V3 for $2700 from SoS or Dali.

CDub said:
Either one you get, you can't go wrong, unless you want a quiet exhaust. Good luck finding a V2 though. I do know someone has one in SoCal that is mildly consider selling his.
CDub,
Thank you very much! Your opinions are invaluable for my decision. I will get a GM V2 if I can find one... :confused:

However, if I can't find one it is good to know that the V3 is not too dissimilar from the V2 so that if I can't get a V2 I will have to go for the V3 as I know I can get that one.

That is a very good reference chart. But it doesn't show the discontinued GM v2.

I didn't weight the GM v2, but I believe it is in the neighborhood of around 30lbs plus or minus a couple lbs.

Althought the GM v3 is 4lbs heavier than the Taitec Lightweight GT, by the time you add the straight pipes, it'll be about the same.

It also doesn't really show the true weight savings because the GM's also remove the cats. I just cross referenced the Dali weight savings chart and the SOS exhaust weight chart to find the true weight savings. Big difference!
-Tony

AU_NSX said:
CDub,
Thank you very much! Your opinions are invaluable for my decision. I will get a GM V2 if I can find one... :confused:

However, if I can't find one it is good to know that the V3 is not too dissimilar from the V2 so that if I can't get a V2 I will have to go for the V3 as I know I can get that one.

Great description by CDUB. I really wanted the quad tips from the V2, but the weight saving, and I think abit sharper shrill at high RPM of the V3 makes up for the tips! (Can't see the tips while driving anyways).

Good luck finding a V2, it's almost impossible! V3 is obtainable through distributors, but I think there is generally a few weeks of wait time. I just gone through this myself, and was lucky enough to have found a very nice used V3, and it came with the car! :D

Does removing the cats (i.e. with the Gruppe M exhausts) cause a bad "gasoline type" odor when driving the car?
-Tony

CDub said:
Oops! forgot to mention that the GMs (no cats) are stickyyyyyyyyyyyy!

You meant "stinky" not "sticky", right? Just how bad is it? Too much smell for a daily driver???
-Tony

AutoVation said:
You meant "stinky" not "sticky", right? Just how bad is it? Too much smell for a daily driver???
-Tony

For some, it becomes quite intoxicating after a while.., ;) J/k, there are some, but I never thought it's bad, and certainly don't smell anything while driving or in the cabin. Only when you step outside after a drive, then there is hint of fume.., which I happen to like personally :)

Hey, sounds like I was just typing with a stuffy nose. :redface:

It does get smelly when the car is not moving. More so when you pull up into the garage.

Dang, reading this thread really makes me want go and get a GruppeM V3 exhaust. :biggrin: The only things holding me back are the $2700 premium and the curiosity of how the upcoming Anytime F1 exhaust would sound. It looks like a similar design to the GruppeM V3 but it allows you to keep the cats.

Anytime F1 Prototype
ANYTIMEsF1exhaustspypics020.jpg

GruppeM V3
attachment.php

Back