• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Going to try a restaurant in Campbell, CA . . .

ChopsJazz said:
Kevin, I'm dying to know. How bad was it? :wink:

Sorry, slow response time Ken.

It was pretty medicore, but can't expect too much from a bar-ish type place. Oh, well, the location worked well and the restaurant was kid friendly . . . all in all a reasonable alternative. :smile:

They is yet another restraunt with my NSX usually parked in front of it :).

If you ever feel the urge to experiment and havent tried Amok yet. Definitley check out Chez Sovan. Cambodian place in campbell. I am absolutely in love with their amok.

A friend tipped me off that their entire sales team lands up and orders amok whenever they fly in from boston. It comes with chicken or catfish. The chicken one is marginally better.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt...jPpaz2XI4N9.&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:2:fbT:0

-vamsi

joove said:
I am absolutely in love with their amok.

A friend tipped me off that their entire sales team lands up and orders amok whenever they fly in from boston. It comes with chicken or catfish. The chicken one is marginally better.
Before anyone asks... Although I love Southeast Asian food, I had never heard of amok (other than the word, meaning, "1 : in a murderously frenzied state; 2 a : in a violently raging manner <a virus that had run amok> b : in an undisciplined, uncontrolled, or faulty manner <films ... about computers run amok -- People>").

I found frizz, a restaurant in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, that defines it (obviously the fish version) as "steamed coconut fish with turmeric sauces and spices, served in banana leaves", and adds this photo:

amok.jpg

wow ...one of these day, I will run up and tried it. I love amok, but extreamly fearful of fish bone. But I'll tried chicken. I only eat trout, halibut, tuna, and related....that has no ittty bitty bone. Anywho, ken..........it is acquired taste just like raw sushi or shasimi :D

waittttt a minute, this shit is in san jose? damnit, not even the finest lady will make me drive 5 hours for that...............for a damn amok? :tongue:

joove said:
They is yet another restraunt with my NSX usually parked in front of it :).

If you ever feel the urge to experiment and havent tried Amok yet. Definitley check out Chez Sovan. Cambodian place in campbell. I am absolutely in love with their amok.

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt...jPpaz2XI4N9.&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:2:fbT:0

-vamsi

no no no no....I am not saying that you're dissing it at all. I am just saying as is..."it's an acquired taste". For me, I didn't like it for the first time...now, I love it!!!

nsxtasy said:
Hey, I wasn't dissing it!!! :confused: In fact, I think it sounds pretty good.

ChopsJazz said:
Well Kevin, now the question seems to be; "kid friendly"? Is you is, or is you ain't a dad?

Today, is me ain't.

The restaurant had to be kid friendly for an old friend of mine.

Ask me again next week though, my wife's due date is . . . TOMORROW! So today I ain't, no telling when that status might change! :) Don't think I will be replacing the NSX for a while, my NEW baby's gonna need new shoes!!!

BTW, Joove, never been to the Campbell Chez Sovan, I used to go to the original Chez Sovan on 13th. Yep, in the skids of San Jose. Great dive, same food I hear, but FAR seedier than those restaurants you can find in the well lit sections of town! Good call though!

Kevin

nsxtasy said:

That photo couldnt be farther from what the Campbell place serves. The one I am used to comes all wrapped up in banaleaf. Kinda like a pyramid. You get to open it up and it has a orangish/yellow kinda like omlette color/texture to it on the outside. Not white like the photo above.

I am assuming every restraunt has their own take on the amok concept/ We had plenty of fund discussions on exactly what runs amok. Now I know. The desire to make a meal of it every week :).

Back