• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OBD II plug missing

I'm a bit confused at the moment. Although the U.S. forum's members and the FAQ say that the '95+ models are OBD II compliant with the plug in the area of the glove box (covered by a plastic cap) my techie couldn't find this plug after a 2 hour search.

Could it be that a german '98 NSX doesn't have it (we also didn't find any hint the shop manuals)? Is there someone with a similar car who knows it?

Car is partly stripped and looks like that in the area - could someone point me the region where this plug should be?

Attachments

• innen2.jpg
    innen2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 295
Wolfgang,

Der OBD-II Steckverbinder ist vielleicht links in der Nähe des Kupplungspedals.

The OBD-II connector is possibly left in the vicinity of the clutch pedal.

Can someone confirm this? My Cali car just "failed" NJ inspection because they couldn't find the plug in. :mad:

My car has been inspected in NJ for the past 14 years and the local garage found it the first attempt. Something is weird! (car or the shop, not sure which!)

Location is shown in the shop manual and owner's manual - passenger side, lower left corner of the bolster below the glove box. Is the cover there and the connector inside missing?

...Location is shown in the shop manual and owner's manual - passenger side, lower left corner of the bolster below the glove box. Is the cover there and the connector inside missing?

Problem solved after a bit of googling, and of course ending up back here at Prime - see post 12 - http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/181806-Where-is-the-obd-port

Not sure when it changed, but on the '03 it's actually driver side under the fuse box cover. There is a cover under the glove box passenger side which you pop off, but the slot is empty. Also, when you take the cover off the drivers side to access the fuse box, there is another empty port - you have to look up higher, above the box showing below. Anyway, the good news is I finally found it.

15992621820_046e069558.jpg

Last edited:
I recall for US models the change was 2002, for other markets I am not really sure, but it is either under the glovebox, or where you found it!

That's interesting. For '96, the manuals are the '95 manuals plus a very thin (3/32") '96 supplement. Page 11-38 of the '95 manual shows it under the glovebox. And, in my '96, that's where it is.

So, another interesting tidbit on production variations. Maybe it depended on what the workers had for lunch that day? :biggrin::confused: I wonder if European cars had the driver's side location and luke-44's car started out on the European factory line? (that's a total WAG)

My 2000 has the port under the glove box.

Sometime around or just after 2000, a standard or recommended practise (can't remember which) came out which specified the preferred locations for the OBDII port. The standard / RP specified locations were all on the driver's side of the dash as I recall. Honda probably moved the port in the later production years to come into compliance with the standard / RP.

OBDII is an North American (specifically US) requirement. Canadian vehicles generally comply because of homologation of production. European vehicles might have OBDII if the regulators have adopted the standard. Even if the Euro standards don't mandate OBDII or something similar, they might have got an OBDII ECU just because the low production numbers for the NSX may not have justified producing a non OBDII ECU for the later cars. Perhaps somebody who has insomnia and likes to troll the Honda part numbers can advise whether there are different ECU part numbers for the different markets:smile:. Even if the Euro cars have an OBDII ECU, if the regulators didn't require OBDII, Honda might not have wired out the port; however, given the maintenance diagnostic benefits of the port, that would seem odd.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been through this one...The NJ inspection computer dosen't have an updated 02-05 NSX schematic. It's the green port above the drivers side fuse box. I tell them this every time but they still try under the glove box. Our wonderful tax dollars at work....Thank god it's only every two years

NSX-RACER. I'm not sure European market cars were fully OBDII compliant in 98? Yes there are four O2 sensors but I don't think it was until the LEV engine that European and UK models became fully OBDII. I'm not 100% certain so it might be worth checking with Kaz on the UK forum, NSXGB. Co. UK Kaz is the guru there and will know for sure..

Edit! I was quickly looking on my small phone screen. I didn't see that the OP was back in 2005! Oh well, what I typed might be helpful to someone lol..

Last edited:
NSX-RACER. I'm not sure European market cars were fully OBDII compliant in 98? Yes there are four O2 sensors but I don't think it was until the LEV engine that European and UK models became fully OBDII. I'm not 100% certain so it might be worth checking with Kaz on the UK forum, NSXGB. Co. UK Kaz is the guru there and will know for sure..

Edit! I was quickly looking on my small phone screen. I didn't see that the OP was back in 2005! Oh well, what I typed might be helpful to someone lol..

It is all useful information, particularly if an NSX trivia competition breaks out at the next NSXPO!

Last edited:
Back