• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear Upper Control Arm...Remove/Installation?

Well, yesterday I was working on my new suspension setup and I got stuck on 2 bolts that holds the upper control arm on the rear..There is a total of 4 bolts...what's the best way to put these bolts back in? I've tried using a jack underneath, but it still won't go in at the right angle...I played with it for 1-2 hours, and it still wouldn't go in... :confused: :mad:

any help would be appreciated! :cool:

I had this same problem when replacing the subframe section that those bolts connect to a couple weeks ago. It was a bitch to line them up properly, and we were on a rack.

Try putting the shock into it's normal mount point, but without the endlink going through it. Then put a jack under the diskbrake and lift it up about an inch or 2. From underneath you should be able to wrestle the control arm into the proper angle to align the bolt.

Be VERY CAREFUL not to crossthread the bolt in, the previous owner/mechanic/shop did that on my car which is why I had to replace that whole subframe section (in addition they broke a head off a bolt.. the dumb fucks probably just used an airgun which explains the crossthreading too).

Also keep in mind, the optimum angle for the bolt to go in smoothly probably doesnt mean the control arm is flush with the upper mount point.. there might be some space between them, as long as you get the bolt in straight that's fine because it will pull the control arm into place as you slowly thread it in..... good luck. :)

-mike

Be very careful not to get frustrated and put those in cross-threaded. You are going to need the help of a good friend to position the control arm properly so you can get the bolts started.. It is very hard to do on your back. Those bolts should not have to be removed for strut/spring replacement. Remember, Patience is the virtue.

Dennis,

The challange is that with the suspension assembled to the knuckle the bushings are under tension, so they do not really align correctly. BE VERY CAREFUL, do not force the bolts in or they will crossthread. Sounds like you are being cautious. Would I be correct in stating the two bolts are for one of the bushings, and the other bushing bolts are in place?

I am relunctant to make this suggestion, but you may need to separate the upper ball joint, then reinstall the upper arm separately, then reassemble the entire suspension.

I am thinking you took these out to get more clearance for the shock R&R, and as soon as you got the bolts out the upper arm bushing cocked slightly.

If you have tried raising the suspension knuckle all the way and it will not align, you may have to do what I mention above. Please seek additional comment on this, maybe someone here has a trick.

If you do need to separate the ball joint you will need a special tool to do it.

Good Luck,
HTH,
LarryB

EIFFEL said:
Be very careful not to get frustrated and put those in cross-threaded. You are going to need the help of a good friend to position the control arm properly so you can get the bolts started.. It is very hard to do on your back. Those bolts should not have to be removed for strut/spring replacement. Remember, Patience is the virtue.

yeah, tell me about it...Somehow, I got 1 side in easily without that much work, but the drivers side rear is just a pain in the azz....and yes, I read the vfaq about spring/strut install, but somehow I just couldn't do it by myself, so I had no choice to unbolt the control arm to get the whole shock/spring out....suks when you have to do it yourself....hopefully I can finish it up after work today and take it in the bodyshop as scheduled... :smile:

Back