• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R engine question

so i understand that the NSX-R engine is built blueprinted correct?
well what is the actual rated output for the Type R motors?
I'm assuming the resulting blueprinted engines would tend to result in higher than 280 crank hp output. just wondering

Blueprinting means they took extra care putting the engine together. It can get very expensive and time consuming. Essentially the engine is as perfect as possible: production variations are machined out, balancing/assembly is super close tolerance and the best of everything is used.

Genuine "blueprinting" comes down to: Spending countless hours polishing, machining, using extremely sensitive (and incredibly expensive) measuring equipment and testing everything. I would estimate that you would probably spend more money on the labor than for all of the parts purchased new.

So if you worked for Boeing, you have a good chance of a genuine "blueprint". My buddy who assembles main engine pumps (that can empty an average pool in 6 seconds) and has a huge amount of test and assembly equipment can probably pull it off to degree that should be measureable on a dyno. But they have some 50+ ME's that spend weeks on a single pump that has only a few dozen moving parts....everything is microscoped, weighed, polished, photographed, bench-tested, assembled and pre-production tested.

At your basic speed shop it means they didn't take any short cuts.

Or better yet: Blueprinting can mean just about anything, as long as proper care and parts are used.

I think the NSX-R had different intake, exhaust and other goodies to make up the HP over normal stock.

I'm not sure how much extra care can one put into an NSX engine? It is at pretty tight process already...

Drew

According to Prime member Procar specials who sold (and sells?) used R-engines they have about 311 PS crank power. Of course you have to compare it with the real HPs of the normal NSX engines which may be more than written in the brochure. As I wrote in another thread my stock 3.2 l engine just dynoed 306 PS with cat replacement pipes and custom made exhaust.

The NSX-R used for the 24 hours of Nuerburgring this year with some intake, exhaust and cooling modifications had officialy 320 PS.

Back