• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AutoVation Pedal Install Tips

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
I installed the AutoVation NSX Racing Pedals last night. Since the footwell of the NSX is a bit cramped I worked around the generic installation instructions. Here are a few tips for anyone interested in this great product.

Tools used:
Dremel Tool with right angle adapter.
Black and Decker High Speed 1/8" drill bits. (Wal Mart)
Dremel 9901 Tungsten Carbide Cutter. (Wal Mart)
Ratchet with 11/32" socket
Ratcheting screwdriver
Silver Metallic Sharpie
Allen Key supplied with pedals.

tools.jpg

The pedal covers for the accelerator and dead pedal install with the supplied sheet metal screws, there is no drilling necessary. Simply position the covers over each existing pedal and mark the screw locations with the silver Sharpie. With the pedal covers out of the way simply press down and screw in each sheet metal screw about half way. Remove the screws, position the pedal covers and install each screw till it is nice and snug. Be careful not to overtighten.

The brake and clutch pedals need holes drilled and using the Dremel with the right angle adapter works great in the cramped space. If you don't have a Dremel you need to go to Wal Mart and purchase one immediately! They are indispensible.

Remove the factory rubber covers from the brake and clutch pedals. Position the new pedal covers and mark the three holes in each with the silver Sharpie. Be careful with the brake pedal. On my car at least it has to be low enough to clear a large weld behind the pedal. Just use a finger and feel behind each pedal with the covers held in place so you're sure there is nothing obstructing the place you will be drilling.

Now you should have three little silver dots on each of the pedals. Using the 1/8" drill bit and the Dremel set to high speed carefully drill a hole in the center of each silver dot. The metal is soft enough that it should go pretty quickly. Make sure you use eye protection since little metal shavings will be airborne.

I changed drill bits and used a fresh one for each pedal since after three holes it was noticeably duller.

Now you should have three little holes in both the brake and clutch pedal. Switch out the drill bit for the Dremel 9901 carbide cutter. Using a slower speed setting work it into the lower hole and carefully enlarge the hole. You don't have to enlarge much so have one of the supplied machine screws handy and check often until the hole is large enough for it to slide in.

At this point I attached each pedal using only the lower nut and bolt. I made it tight enough and lined up the holes in the cover with the holes that I drilled. With the pedal covers in place I used the above procedure with the carbide cutter and enlarged the remaining 2 holes so the screws fit through.

Using a drop or two of Loctite, tighten everything up using the supplied allen key and an 11/32" socket or open end wrench. Don't forget to Loctite the lower nut and bolt. Vacuum the mess from the footwell and you're done!

Total time: Just under an hour.

These pedals are great! I wear Simpson driving shoes exclusively when I drive the car and they grip the brake and clutch pedals very well. I do several track sessions each year and heel/toe a lot during everyday driving and the pedals are perfectly designed for this.

These pedals are tools to improve the interaction between car and driver. They do this very very well and are well worth the cost.
I know a couple of people were whining about these pedals in another thread but obviously they don't have a clue. If you're a driver and not a poser, you'll definitely appreciate them.

pedals1.jpg

Hi Hugh,

Nice write up:). You beat me to the punch, there will be a full pictorial installation DIY article in the September issue of NSXDriver on installing these. I also used the silver Sharpie:).

You are correct these pedals are exremely functional for heel-toe, I have done about 6 installs already for track folks.

Regards,
LarryB

Last edited:
OK guys I guess I was one of the whiners on the other thread - I am willing to admit that I may have been wrong and this might be worth doing. The question I have is there a difference between the SOS pedals and the AutoVation pedals? I don't care about the price, I am interetsed in quality of material, finish, etc.

I guess I have to buy a dremel too!

Thanks and nice write up BTW.

Cairo94507 said:
The question I have is there a difference between the SOS pedals and the AutoVation pedals?

They are one and the same. SoS has photos of the set with the improved gas pedal design on their site. AutoVation needs to update the photos on their site. I ordered mine directly from AutoVation last week and received the newest version.

billet_al_pedals.jpg

Larry sent me a PM and strongly recommended ugrading the installation method for the gas pedal cover with a bolt through method like the brake and clutch pedals. I must agree that is a very good idea especially for those that track their cars due to the added stress that repeated heel and toe will cause.

Thanks for the tip Larry!

Hugh said:
These pedals are great! I wear Simpson driving shoes exclusively when I drive the car and they grip the brake and clutch pedals very well.

Even if you are just zipping down the street for some Taco Bell? :biggrin:
j/k, nice write up.

92NSX said:
Even if you are just zipping down the street for some Taco Bell? :biggrin:
j/k, nice write up.

Actually I live in the Simpsons (Accelerator driving shoes). They are as comfortable as slippers. The NSX is my daily driver and I average over 40,000 miles a year so that's why the shoes are part of my daily wardrobe.

Hugh said:
Actually I live in the Simpsons (Accelerator driving shoes). They are as comfortable as slippers. The NSX is my daily driver and I average over 40,000 miles a year so that's why the shoes are part of my daily wardrobe.

Those are some cool ass shoes Hugh! are they comfortable to walk with? is the sole padded? I like this one too...

Last edited:
TURBO2GO said:
Those are some cool ass shoes Hugh!...

Actually, these are the shoes that I've seen Hugh wearing while driving his NSX.

slippers.jpg

Opps....I think these are the Simpsons shoes that Hugh wears. :biggrin:

HomerSlippers.jpg

The Simpsons are like slippers. I practically live in them. There really isn't any padding in the sole, they are designed so you get good feedback from the pedals. I noticed at the mall the other day that Puma makes a nice looking shoe too but I haven't tried them on yet.

Hugh said:
The Simpsons are like slippers. I practically live in them. There really isn't any padding in the sole, they are designed so you get good feedback from the pedals. I noticed at the mall the other day that Puma makes a nice looking shoe too but I haven't tried them on yet.

Otomix is great too. I use them for wrestling and they are great for driving too. Check out the website... some hottie models too:

http://otomix.stores.yahoo.net/stingrayboot.html

Back