• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Question For Current Owners

I am currently taking my time to search for an NSX. I would like to know are they vehicles that are difficult or costly to keep up? Is it going to be hard for me to find parts and do the parts cost an arm and a leg? Is owning an NSX like owning a glass water globe making sure not to drop it or it will bust.

Are there any major differences in the car versions from 1994 to 1996? :smile:

Yes to all your questions..... but ask yourself the question... "Is the fun and reliability worth all the cost of operating the car" ????? + all the Puswah the car (or your personality) could get.

Danny. :biggrin: :smile:

Seajay said:
I would like to know are they vehicles that are difficult or costly to keep up?
Difficult, no. Costly, scheduled maintenance is not costly but if you encounter an unexpected repair, it can be expensive.

Seajay said:
Is it going to be hard for me to find parts
No.

Seajay said:
do the parts cost an arm and a leg?
Some parts are expensive, others aren't.

Seajay said:
Is owning an NSX like owning a glass water globe making sure not to drop it or it will bust.
I have 10,000 actual track miles on mine (in addition to 50,000 street and highway miles) and I've had almost no unexpected repairs, other than replacing the clutch.

Seajay said:
Are there any major differences in the car versions from 1994 to 1996?
NSX FAQ, see link in deedubb's post.

Seajay- Give us a clue where you are from and that may assist us in identifying issues which may affect you.

I live in Soutern California in the desert. I am seriously researching all the information I can get on an NSX because I have always wanted this car. I am getting some advice to check out the Corvette ZO6 instead of purchasing an NSX. I have checked out the fluff on both sports cars but still a little hesitant to pick either car. I just know that I have always wanted an NSX but I do not have really enough money to purchase a new NSX or even a 2000 up. Thats why I was asking about the 94 - 96 models. I am really concerned with buying an older used car that is about ten years old and has over 100,000 miles.

A Z06 is way faster but will nickel and dime you to death. Plus spend more time in the shop. You'll get to meet plenty of azzhole dealership service managers.

My C5 spent 3 weeks out of the month broken. Bought a 91 NSX and haven't regretted it even for a moment.

If you plan to drive your car, NSX all the way. If you want the fastest car on the road, one week a month, get a Z.

My $.02

I bought my car expecting to put $2000-$3000 per year into it in terms of upkeep. This includes, tires (easily 800 bucks if you buy four good tires), routine maintenance and project work (from age or use). I can't get mad about it if I told myself to plan on spending at least that much each year. Have I spent close to that ammount? No I havn't, about 1/2 to 2/3, but I was expecting it. Overall though, I bought it because of it's reliability.

Seejay. Take your time and make you will make the right decision. Reach deep down inside and take a look into your soal. Some people are born Vette people and some are NSX drivers. Only you can decide. For my view I didn't need the fastest car but one that fit like a glove and gave good reliability and made me stand out from the crowd. It was also important to me to make an investment, not just a purchase. I firmly believe my '93 will hold its value so much more than a 'vette.

Close your eyes. Picture yourself at a "meet" or a "rally". Would you picture yourself feeling more at home with corvette guys or NSX guys? I have friends that own vett's and have been to their meets. I'm an NSX guy for sure.

I saw myself being part of an exclusive club. Not one that every middle age, partially balding, holding on to their youth, wannnabee, pretender was driving. Good luck with your decision.

Picture yourself in the future owning each car. Any regrets come to mind?

Brian

Seajay said:
I was asking about the 94 - 96 models. I am really concerned with buying an older used car that is about ten years old and has over 100,000 miles.
Average mileage on NSXs is about 5K miles per year. If you are looking at '94-96 models, they average about 50K miles or so. And a well-maintained one will be as reliable as a newer car with the same mileage.

kookoo4nsx said:
Seejay.I saw myself being part of an exclusive club. Not one that every middle age, partially balding, holding on to their youth, wannnabee, pretender was driving. Good luck with your decision.Brian

Ouch!!! everyone of those described me????

I've been an NSX owner now for 8 months...and still everytime I go into the garage I have to take a 2nd look. I am so happy with this car. It's been a pure joy to own and I have no regrets. I owned an 02 C-5 and only kept it a year.... It was nice, but I wasn't passionate about it. Like some of the previous posts have mentioned.... It's a personal choice...

Seajay - Go drive the NSX, the year you are considering. You will find that it is a far better car than the vette. I feel the NSX is truly a custom fit car. I have owned some really nice stuff and I really love the NSX. Yeah it does not have have 500 HP - for me that is not a big deal, the 290 it has work so well with the car that it seems like it has a lot more.

You can not walk down the street in CA w/o seeing 3 corvettes, I can go all week sometimes and not see another NSX. If I see one or two in a week, I feel fortunate.

Good luck on your search.

Do you want a car that is ho-hum and that everyone else has and people usually don't give a second glance too ? Or do you like to turn heads and have people walking up to your car in a parking lot wondering what it is or saying how beautiful it is. A vette is a vette, there are hundreds per square mile compared to even seeing another NSX in a week or month of driving.
Ok, so do you want fast ? Yeah the new vette is nice, but to me its just another piece or American iron, not reliable like a Honda, besides who know how long GM is going to be in business the way they are going. I looked at vettes when shopping for cars long ago, I ended up with a Dino, good choice cause I sold it for 3 times and bought a house! If I had bought a vette, I would be living out of it! But its up to you. What do you like, why do you like it ? Its not for everyone, especially if you don't like to stand out in the crowd! Cost. I have not spent anything on mine except for oil, filter, wax.. nothing really to go wrong.
Neurotic or exotic ?

BH

I'm a fairly NEW owner and my reasoning for buying the car instead of a Vette or a G35 Coupe or an Older 993 is in my signature....

Good luck on your search....

Mike

Mojorator said:
I'm a fairly NEW owner and my reasoning for buying the car instead of a Vette or a G35 Coupe or an Older 993 is in my signature....

Good luck on your search....

Mike

As another long time "wannabe" and owner of other higher HP cars, I have to agree with Mike 200%. It's all about the driving experience and feel, even when you're not going fast. It's a great track car, but totally streetable with Honda style reliability, for the most part. I looked at and considered a number of other cars, including new ones, but I've had a woody for an NSX for a long time, and decided there wasn't any point in waiting longer. I'd rather have gotten a newer one, and could have in another coupel of years, but maybe I'll do that anyway, and keep this one for my DD.

Just drive the cars you're considering, then decide based on what works for you on a gut level.

~Jon

I'd like to thank everyone for all the information. I will be planning to try and test drive as soon as I can find an NSX near by. One more question. Is ebay or autotrader a good source to find an NSX? Or are there other sites?

Back