• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unexpected test drives

After reading various messages from owners offering test drives to people they just met, I finally had the opportunity to bestow the pleasures of NSX driving to two different people this weekend.

On Saturday, I was at West Point when one of the Cadets came over to admire the car. After learning that this was the first one he had ever seen, I figured that the least I could do was take him for a drive. I then totally shocked him by giving him the keys and letting him try it out. Needless to say, I have the feeling that he never had as much fun driving through his post in the Army vans.

On Sunday, I met someone who was a lifelong Honda owner but who had never been in an NSX. Once again, another enthusiast was born after I gave him the keys and told him to drive. He then asked me to drive him so he could see how the car can "really be driven." I had him put on the 5 point harness and gave him a sample of what the NSX can do and dropped him off to get his camera so he could a few shots behind the wheel.

Two simple acts of kindness to strangers, two extremely happy drivers. It is amazing to see how a simple drive in a car can make someone's day.

Bob

Hey RSO,

I was also at West Point over the weekend. That isn't a big surprise because I go to school here. I'm just guessing but were you up here for the game? Too bad we lost. I 'm disappointed that I missed out on seeing another NSX, I usually keep a good lookout for them during big events. I guess I'll just have to wait till I go home for Christmas to see one again.

RSO, are you a graduate? I have always wondered if we have any "old grads" on this board. Also, RSO, if you (or any another NSXers in the area) come to West Point again I would be happy to show you around campus. Just e-mail me.

Cheers,

Aaron
NSXPERT

Two simple acts of kindness to strangers, two extremely happy drivers. It is amazing to see how a simple drive in a car can make someone's day.

I love it - I've done this several times as well, and it is a pretty nice feeling knowing that you just (a) plastered a HUGE grin on that person's face (b) dispelled the notion that NSXers are "stuckup".

Hi Aaron,

I actually gave away my tickets for the game to some friends and went up to play golf instead. I think my golf performance mirrored Army's performance on the field unfortunately.

I'm not a grad of West Point although I had the chance at being part of the Class of '82 (now I am dating myself).

We should try to hook up one of these weekends.

Bob

Hey Bob,

I too know the feeling. Last year at the NE New Hamphire event I met a guy who was interesting in purchasing one. I asked "Have you ever driven one?" He said no, so I gave himn the keys.

Full Grin, NSX owners are not "stuckup" and I recieved e-mails for a week from the guy.

I have also found when you get in that situation people are very respectful of the car, and the hard part is getting them past the "Hope I don't break it" symdrome, and let it rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This happened with my brother-in-law. He was so nervous he could hardly shift it, and he drives a manual truck all day
smile.gif

See ya,
LarryB

Letting someone drive a car that he hasn't driven before is asking for trouble. There was a recent post about a person that downshifted into second instead of forth and bent some valves. BIG TROUBLE

As a general rule I would not advocate letting a total stranger drive any of my cars but after talking with both drivers I felt comfortable enough to let them do it.

As Larry B. pointed out, both of them were extremely cautious and didn't push the car at all. Naturally, I wouldn't let anyone drive the NSX without them knowing how to drive a stick and wouldn't use it as a teaching tool for them. Anyone can miss a shift with any type of car and there is nothing special about shifting an NSX that would preclude letting others have a little fun with a test drive.

At a recent SCDA event at Lime Rock in June, one of our club members who shall remain nameless (aka "The Don") shifted from 4th to 1st by accident but fortunately didn't do any damage. It can happen to the best of us.

Under that rationale, no dealer would ever give test drives to potential buyers unless they had already owned the same car and demonstrated a certain proficiency with handling it. Trust me, I am very protective of my favorite ride but also can appreciate the fact that it is just a car with a normal shift pattern that anyone who knows how to drive a manual can learn quite readily.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RSO 34 (edited 09 September 2002).]

I have let quite a few people test drive my car - over forty, when I counted a few years ago. Usually it is friends and acquaintances, rarely strangers. And I agree with the others, you have to tell them to let it rev all the way up close to redline, rather than shifting too early, to feel the NSX's potential.

Bob mentioned, "It is amazing to see how a simple drive in a car can make someone's day." It can even represent much more than making someone's day. As owners of this supercar, we are very fortunate, and should not lose sight of the fact that the ability to drive one is something that many, many people can only dream about. This can be, literally, the thrill of a lifetime for many car enthusiasts.

Thanks for posting about it, Bob (and others).

Ken makes a great point about being fortunate to own and drive a car like the NSX. I had given test drives to friends before but this weekend was the first time I had let someone I didn't know try it out.

When I let the Cadet take it out, I have to admit that I was feeling very fortunate that in these uncertain times when we seem intent on blowing each other up that I was able to drive my NSX to play golf at West Point while that Cadet was training there to protect my freedom to do frivolous things such as that.

Thanks, Ken, for the reminder that we should all take a step back every now and then and appreciate what we have rather than just show it off.

Bob

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
Hey Bob,

I too know the feeling. Last year at the NE New Hamphire event I met a guy who was interesting in purchasing one. I asked "Have you ever driven one?" He said no, so I gave himn the keys.

Full Grin, NSX owners are not "stuckup" and I recieved e-mails for a week from the guy.

I have also found when you get in that situation people are very respectful of the car, and the hard part is getting them past the "Hope I don't break it" symdrome, and let it rip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This happened with my brother-in-law. He was so nervous he could hardly shift it, and he drives a manual truck all day
smile.gif

See ya,
LarryB

Hey Larry there some nice roads around west point that remind me of eagles nest....maybe next year we can do a west point run

Hey NSXpert,

Drives around West Point may be nice, but try Annapolis sometime!! Beat Army,

USNA 2000

Hey Aaron, SmittyCat is dissing Army. You better stand up for yourself here against the Annapolis grad. I have to play Switzerland with this one since my heart is with Army but my brother-in-law is a Marine so I will let you guys battle it out.

P.S. SmittyCat: Yes, Annapolis is a nice drive also but more importantly I got fed better down there than up at the Point.

I have only driven in Annapolis a couple of times but from my brief encounters driving there doesn’t even compare. Think of it this way, Annapolis is in the city, and as we all know driving in the city is not the best way to enjoy a car. Also, having lived most of my life in Colorado, I have to say that West Point is slightly better. The best drive near USAFA is Route 24 but you have to drive 20 miles to get to it. Whereas, at West Point turn right going out the gate and your on a nice set of twisties to play on. Advantage: WP. Second, AFA starts at 6000ft and drives will climb to well over 10,000ft altitude slowly sucks away the horsepower. West Point is right at sea level so your full 290 HP is ready to go. Advantage: WP. The best thing about Colorado driving is the lots of the roads are empty, so there is more time you can have fun before you get stuck behind a log truck going 15mph under the speed limit. Advantage: AFA. Finally, road quality. Snowplows are not friendly to road surfaces. The roads here are much smoother than Colorado. (Yes I know they salt the roads and that the salt is very damaging to the body but I'm assuming that owners in both places would store there cars during the winter) Advantage: WP

So there you have it, Service Academy with the best roads by a score of 3 to 1: United States Military Academy at West Point

Cheers

Aaron
NSXpert

Thanks to milz50 (Matt) he was nice enough to let me drive his car. First time I had been up close to check one out in detail and he let me take it for a spin! I had already been hooked, but that set the barb...
smile.gif

Interesting points about the drives, gents. Glad everyone here is a good sport too!

--Longtime lurker, still saving up for the NSX.

Back