• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boaters- Anyone else?

Just curios how many SE or Mid Atlantic Prime members are also into Boating.
I am picking up a new Boat tomorrow and would like some input on Favorite places to go. Days/ weeekends etc.
I plan on doing the keys in maybe Jan/ Feb but I am open to all suggestions.
Anyone?

Formula 271 Fastech
27'
Not a boat for a small lake.

Florida - Silver Glenn on the St Johns River. Near Ocala National Park. Here is a picture of what the place looks like on holiday weekends (And yes, that is just one corner of the place - it goes around the corner with 4 rows of boats and 500-1,000 people)

Attachments

• glenn.jpg
    glenn.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 312
Hey
I have a Fountain 27' Fever w/496 H.O. on Pickwick lake. Let me know if ever in the area. :biggrin:
Johnny.....

mackash said:
Hey
I have a Fountain 27' Fever w/496 H.O. on Pickwick lake. Let me know if ever in the area. :biggrin:
Johnny.....

Where is Pickwick lake?

steveny said:
Want to meet up in the keys and do some deep sea fishing in Jan-feb sometime?

Sounds like Fun, Lets stay in Touch.

I am going to FL the end of November for 10 days and I plan on Taking the Boat down then, I need to find a place to keep it till I go back in Jan/Feb or Maybe through the entire Winter.

I am a Chesapeake Bay boater also. Here are some ideas for the Maryland portion of the Chesapeake Bay. Some of this you may know, some, maybe not. Are you a family guy or a partier? (I am guessing that you are a partier based on your boat choice.)

Western Shore:

Bush River and points north: Be careful up here, as you are entering a military firing range which is in current use! No anchoring, as there is the possibility of hitting sunken unexploded ordnance with your anchor. (Also, scraping the bottom with your boat is not recommended.) If you are going north, hug the eastern shore side of the bay to stay out of the firing range. They should have patrol boats out if the range is active, but use your GPS! (You did get a good moving map GPS, right?) You can enter the C & D canal up near the Susquehanna and go to the Delaware Bay if you are adventurous enough. Just brush up on canal rules and techniques before you go, okay?

Middle River/Back River (Essex area): The west side of Hart-Miller island at the mouth of the Middle River attracts a partying crowd on the weekends. There are one or two crabhouses which are accessible by boat in the rivers. Fuel can also be had in a few spots at one of the several marinas in the area. No single marina really stands out in my mind. Just pick one.

Patapsco River/Baltimore Inner Harbor: A great weekend destination. Highly recommended. The absolute best marina to overnight at is Baltimore Marine Center/Lighthouse Point Marina in Canton. I keep my large boat there. Very close to the Canton bar district (easy walk) or Bay Cafe is right there, where all the hotties go to scope the guys on weekend nights. (Unfortunately, I am a little too old to be scoped by any hotties.) Bay Cafe has a bikini contest weekly on Saturday afternoon. This is one of the must-do events on the bay party circuit in the summer. Fuel is available in several locations, with the Rusty Scupper Restaurant having high-octane gasoline. Current marina price is $3 a gallon!

Magothy River: Anchoring out is popular behind Gibson island on the right after you enter the river. A nicely protected anchorage. Fuel up at Deep Creek restaurant (first creek on the left after you enter the river) and if you buy dinner they will let you dock overnight for free. I have taken advantage of this offer several times, since I was gonna eat and needed a slip anyway. I guess the offer still stands, I haven't actually been in a few years, but things change slowly on the bay.

Mill Creek (South of the Bay Bridge and just north of Greenbury Point): Cantler's is a good, casual crabhouse kinda place. A little tricky to navigate into, particularly at night. Definitely honor the channel markers. When you approach the river, particularly at night, the markers look confusing, but if you don't question them and just follow them, the path becomes apparent after you enter the channel. There are also the remains of a decaying pier on the south side just after the dogleg in the channel, so go slow, and scan your light if entering at night. Watch for very shallow water around Greenbury point. Swing very wide and outside the spider buoy.

Severn River: My favorite river around here. Beautiful. I keep my small boat there. (Which is for sale, incidentally.) They have a ski slalom course up near the head if you are into skiing or wakeboarding. You can get fuel in Annapolis or at Smith's marina behind St. Helena Island about halfway upriver on the left. Of course, Annapolis itself is a good destination. Go profiling in Ego alley, and/or take your wife or g/f (or both) to dinner one evening. (It makes them like the boat more if you pay attention to them too.) Watch your speed around Annapolis. You can tie up alongside the seawall in Ego alley, swing on a city mooring (with water taxi service to your boat in season), or choose from any of several nice marinas in the Annapolis harbor. Hard to go wrong with so many choices.

South River: There is a cove on the right side, can't remember the name off the top of my head but I think it is the first one on the right when you enter the river, that attracts somewhat of an anchoring and/or partying crowd, depending on the mix of people, on the weekends. It is right by the park whose name I can't remember now. There are several places on the South River to get fuel, and Mikes Crab House upriver on the left is a popular crab house kinda place. No single marina really stands out on the South River. Just pick one. The water can be really choppy on the weekends from all the boat traffic. The South River seems to have more of the Formula Fastech kind of crowd. You would fit right in.

West and Rhode Rivers: More serene, with a lot of marinas on the West River and a few anchorages for overnighting on the Rhode river. Watch the water depth if you are on either side of the main channel though. There is (or at least used to be if it hasn't washed away) a small sandy spit of an island all the way up the Rhode river which was good for beaching the boat and letting the kids play in the sand and water on a sunny summer day. It was low enough that it would submerge on a high tide.

There are a couple of nice marinas around the Chesapeake beach area further south. This is more family fishing territory than Formula territory. Herrington Harbor South (not Herrington Harbor North) is the nicest marina in this area. Life down here is like living in the 50's.

Next stop to the south is Solomon's Island. A good weekend trip if the water is smooth. A bit of a slog in rough water. It's a little quieter and more family-oriented in Solomon's, but there are a couple of watering holes and a coupla marinas. Or you could cruise up the Patuxent river if you just wanted to burn off some fuel, then swing on the hook overnight.

Nest stop to the South is Point Lookout where the Potomac meets the bay. It is like going camping down there. It is a little sleepy around there and not really recommended, unless you are just exploring and wanna anchor out overnight. The mosquitoes will eat you alive! There are a couple of protected coves, and St. Mary's city is just up the Potomac on the right. Again, not really much down there.

South of there on the Virginia side I don't know anything about.

Eastern Shore:

I am not as familiar with the Eastern Shore side. Here are a few tips though.

Fairlee creek is a popular dinner and overnighting destination, although I have never been.

Rock Hall is a fishing kind of town.

Sunday evening is the weekly bikini contest at Red Eye's Dock Bar at Kent Narrows. Another must-do event on the party circuit. Definitely a Formula kind of Crowd. Note that the channel markers reverse in the narrows. Honor the markers and know if you are "going seaward" or "returning from seaward." The channel is narrow so the proper path is fairly obvious, but enter the channel at the first pair of markers and STAY IN THE CHANNEL!
Fuel is available in the narrows, plus there are a few marinas. Mears Marina is popular, but any marina here would do. Just pick one.

For a family kind of weekend or to impress the g/f, go to St. Michaels, which is south of the narrows. From the main bay just south of Bloody Point, go up the Eastern Bay and hang a right. St. Michaels is not far down on the right. A little bit upscale and boutiquey, but makes for a nice weekend with the sigificant other.

South of here I am not very familiar with, although I have been to Smith Island once. Now that is like going back in time. I recommend going if you happen to be in that area. There is not really much to the place, but the people are friendly as can be, and I think you can now stay overnight. I think. They used to kick tourists off the island at dark if I am not mistaken. Also be aware that if you are down this far there is, or at least used to be, Navy firing ranges down here, so be aware of your surroundings and monitor your VHF. There was a huge ship down there that was all shot up by Navy fighters when I was down there several years ago. If you get buzzed by an airplane it is for a reason! It means that they want you to scram!

All of the above comments are taken from memory. Please search the internet for current information on or otherwise confirm my statements before you go. I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay , which is chock full of good information about every nook and cranny of the bay.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Jett said:
I am a Chesapeake Bay boater also. Here are some ideas for the Maryland portion of the Chesapeake Bay. Some of this you may know, some, maybe not. Are you a family guy or a partier? (I am guessing that you are a partier based on your boat choice.)

Western Shore:

Bush River and points north: Be careful up here, as you are entering a military firing range which is in current use! No anchoring, as there is the possibly of hitting sunken unexploded ordnance with your anchor. (Also, scraping the bottom with your boat is not recommended.) If you are going north, hug the eastern shore side of the bay to stay out of the firing range. They should have patrol boats out if the range is active, but use your GPS! (You did get a good moving map GPS, right?) You can enter the C & D canal up near the Susquehanna and go to the Delaware Bay if you are adventurous enough. Just brush up on canal rules and techniques before you go, okay?

Middle River/Back River (Essex area): The west side of Hart-Miller island at the mouth of the Middle River attracts a partying crowd on the weekends. There are one or two crabhouses which are accessible by boat in the rivers. Fuel can also be had in a few spots at one of the several marinas in the area. No single marina really stands out in my mind. Just pick one.

Patapsco River/Baltimore Inner Harbor: A great weekend destination. Highly recommended. The absolute best marina to overnight at is Baltimore Marine Center/Lighthouse Point Marina in Canton. I keep my large boat there. Very close to the Canton bar district (easy walk) or Bay Cafe is right there, where all the hotties go to scope the guys on weekend nights. (Unfortunately, I am a little too old to be scoped by any hotties.) Bay Cafe has a bikini contest weekly on Saturday afternoon. This one of the must-do events on the Bay in the summer. Fuel is available in several locations, with the Rusty Scupper Restaurant having high-octane gasoline available.

Magothy River: Anchoring out is popular behind Gibson island on the right after you enter the river. A nicely protected anchorage. Fuel up at Deep Creek restaurant (first creek on the left after you enter the river) and if you buy dinner they will let you dock overnight for free. I have taken advantage of this offer several times, since I was gonna eat and needed a slip anyway. I guess the offer still stands, I haven't actually been in a few years, but things change slowly on the bay.

Mill Creek (South of the Bay Bridge and just north of Greenbury Point): Cantler's is a good, casual crabhouse kinda place. A little tricky to navigate into, particularly at night. Definitely honor the channel markers. When you approach the river, particularly at night, the markers look confusing, but if you don't question them and just follow them, the path becomes apparent after you enter the channel. There are also the remains of a decaying pier on the south side just after the dogleg in the channel, so go slow, and scan your light if entering at night. Watch for shallow water around Greenbury point. Swing very wide and outside the spider buoy.

Severn River: My favorite river around here. Beautiful. I keep my small boat there. (Which is for sale, incidentally.) They have a ski slalom course up near the head if you are into skiing or wakeboarding. You can get fuel in Annapolis or at Smith's marina behind St. Helena Island about halfway upriver on the left. Of course, Annapolis itself is a good destination. Go profiling in Ego alley, and/or take your wife or g/f (or both) to dinner one evening. (It makes them like the boat more if you pay attention to them too.) Watch your speed around Annapolis. You can tie up alongside the seawall in Ego alley, swing on a city mooring (with water taxi service to your boat in season), or choose from any of several nice marinas in the Annapolis harbor. Hard to go wrong with so many choices.

South River: There is a cove on the right side, can't remember the name off the top of my head but I think it is the first one on the right when you enter the river, that attracts somewhat of an anchoring and/or partying crowd, depending on the mix of people, on the weekends. It is right by the park whose name I can't remember now. There are several places on the South River to get fuel, and Mikes Crab House upriver on the left is a popular crab house kinda place. No single marina really stands out on the South River. Just pick one. The water can be really choppy on the weekends from all the boat traffic. The South River seems to have more of the Formula Fastech kind of crowd. You would fit right in.

West and Rhode Rivers: More serene, with a lot of marinas on the West River and a few anchorages for overnighting on the Rhode river. Watch the water depth if you are on either side of the main channel though. There is (or at least used to be if it hasn't washed away) a small sandy spit of an island all the way up the Rhode river which was good for beaching the boat and letting the kids play in the sand and water on a sunny summer day. It was low enough that it would submerge on a high tide.

There are a couple of nice marinas around the Chesapeake beach area further south. This is more family fishing territory than Formula territory. Herrington Harbor South (not Herrington Harbor North) is the nicest marina in this area.

Next stop to the south is Solomon's Island. A good weekend trip if the water is smooth. A bit of a slog in rough water. It's a little quieter and more family-oriented in Solomon's, but there are a couple of watering holes and a coupla marinas. Or you could cruise up the Patuxent river if you just wanted to burn off some fuel, then swing on the hook overnight.

Nest stop to the South is Point Lookout where the Potomac meets the bay. It is like going camping down there. It is a little sleepy around there and not really recommended, unless you are just exploring and wanna anchor out overnight. The mosquitoes will eat you alive! There are a couple of protected coves, and St. Mary's city is just up the Potomac on the right. Again, not really much down there.

South of there on the Virginia side I don't know anything about.

Eastern Shore:

I am not as familiar with the Eastern Shore side. Here are a few tips though.

Fairlee creek is a popular dinner and overnighting destination, although I have never been.

Rock Hall is a fishing kind of town.

Sunday evening is the weekly bikini contest at Red Eye's Dock Bar at Kent Narrows. Another must-do event on the party circuit. Definitely a Formula kind of Crowd. Note that the channel markers reverse in the narrows. Honor the markers and know if you are "going seaward" or "returning from seaward." The channel is narrow so the proper path is fairly obvious, but enter the channel at the first pair of markers and STAY IN THE CHANNEL!
Fuel is available in the narrows, plus there are a few marinas. Mears Marina is popular, but any marina here would do. Just pick one.

For a family kind of weekend or to impress the g/f, go to St. Michaels, which is south of the narrows. From the main bay just south of Bloody Point, go up the Eastern Bay and hang a right. St. Michaels is not far down on the right. A little bit upscale and boutiquey, but makes for a nice weekend with the sigificant other.

South of here I am not very familiar with, although I have been to Smith Island once. Now that is like going back in time. I recommend going if you happen to be in that area. There is not really much to the place, but the people are friendly as can be, and I think you can now stay overnight. I think. They used to kick tourists off the island at dark if I am not mistaken. Also be aware that if you are down this far there is, or at least used to be, Navy firing ranges down here, so be aware of your surroundings and monitor your VHF. There was a huge ship down there that was all shot up by Navy fighters when I was down there several years ago. If you get buzzed by an airplane it is for a reason! It means that they want you to scram!

All of the above comments are taken from memory. Please search the internet for current information on or otherwise confirm my statements before you go. I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Guide to Cruising Chesapeake Bay , which is chock full of good information about every nook and cranny of the bay.

Enjoy!!

After all that typing I owe you at least a drink or two.

I actually just came in from spending the day on the severn, going to annapolis for lunch, EGO Alley's food is pretty good.
Spent most of the day at the top of the severn on an island that was almost smaller than my boat. Kids had fun etc.
Yesterday, My wife and I went north in the bay then to Red Eye and back. (lauched at Smiths). Didnt get back until 9:30pm, the Bay at night was great, just got a little dark in the severn.

We plan on doing Baltimore in the next couple weeks, send me an email or give me a call to collect those drinks.
[email protected]
410-707-5304

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience.
We(Wife -2 kids) are not big partiers, I have always liked the Formulas and couldnt bring myself to by the 260ss so I bought the 271, got a good deal on it new.

Mike

Last edited:
I know exactly the island you mentioned. My small boat is kept at at Indian Landing Marina right around the bend upriver from the island. If you have never kept your boat in a rack, I highly recommend it. You just call them up and they put it in the water for you, and take it out when you return. Plus you have an on-site mechanic to take care of any problems. Just call 'em up and send 'em a check when they are done. Eliminates all the hassles associated with trailering, which I hate.

I have had a couple of different experiences on that end of the river, on or by the island. I also lived right by Matthews point on the south side for a year immediately following my separation/divorce. That spot is my favorite spot on the bay. Long before I lived there I spent a night on the anchor with my daughter beside the island when she was about three, then I buried some change in the sand the next day on the island and let her find "buried treasure". One of my fondest boating memories. Spend as much time with your children as you can; they grow up fast. Also, try and not take your wife for granted. Show her some love and attention; if you focus all your love and attention on your wife at least once a week, while ignoring the umpteen other things that compete for our time in our modern lives, you will live long and prosper. It is ignoring all the other things and making the wife the priority that is difficult. Try it, just one evening a week. You will get back twice as much as the effort you put into it, although it is worth it for its own sake.

I need to sell my small boat to free up some of my time, and the cash wouldn't hurt either, although I would just end up sinking it into the large boat. I need to start advertising soon. So if you know anyone who might be interested in a 1994 Stingray 658zpx (Blue and white, 22 feet, 350 Magnum Merc and Alpha One Drive, AM/FM/CD plus VHF and Depthfinder, fast and quiet) send me a pm or e-mail me at [email protected] The boat is the exact same boat as the one on the cover of the 1994 Stingray catalog (adobe format), available on the Stingray website. It is the blue and white boat that has the blonde with the black bikini lounging on it. (Sorry but the blonde is not included. I searched the boat for three days after I bought it but I never found her.) The cockpit interior is showing some wear and it needs a wax job, but it still looks and runs great and has low hours. The boat is turnkey and ready to go, registration is current, battery is new and the tank is full! It even comes with boatel space at Indian Landing Marina on the Severn until April 2006. It also comes with a double-axle galvanized trailer. I would be willing to make someone a great deal on this boat. I am just spread too thin with boats, cars, and work to keep it. It is a great boat; in fact, it is the third Stingray I have owned, and if they made 'em in 40 foot length I would've bought a fourth one. (I was lobbying the factory for awhile to at least make a 29 footer, but it must have been falling on deaf ears.) I have looked at Formulas and like the 41PC but at around $250k, used asking price, it was too rich for my blood. So I ended up with a nice 1993 Regal 400 Commodore for less than $100K.

Thank you for the offer on the drinks. Lighthouse Point is also a great family place to go for the weekend, so if you are up that way in the next couple of weeks, my boat is a teal green and white Regal Commodore 400, name "Conflict Alert". Look for me in slip J-28, although I am considering moving my boat to Herrington Harbor South soon for some fishing and a change of pace, although Lighthouse Point is absolutely the best marina in Baltimore, hands down. I will miss it if I leave.

I also really enjoy night boating.

Jett

Last edited:
Edgemts said:
Sounds like Fun, Lets stay in Touch.

I am going to FL the end of November for 10 days and I plan on Taking the Boat down then, I need to find a place to keep it till I go back in Jan/Feb or Maybe through the entire Winter.

Hey... My folks live in the Keys and I visit them quite often. We're on the bayside. We also just sold our Robalo (we still have an Intrepid) but since selling the Robalo, we have an extra slip open. If interested, I can ask pops if he'd let you use it for a couple months. You may have to take him fishing in return! Here are some pics of the casa. Lemme know!

Attachments

• 102_0222.JPG
    102_0222.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 101_0182.jpg
    101_0182.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 170
  • HouseFromDock.jpg
    HouseFromDock.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
MiamiMermaid said:
Hey... My folks live in the Keys and I visit them quite often. We're on the bayside. We also just sold our Robalo (we still have an Intrepid) but since selling the Robalo, we have an extra slip open. If interested, I can ask pops if he'd let you use it for a couple months. You may have to take him fishing in return! Here are some pics of the casa. Lemme know!

Were those taken with the NEW camera. It seems like you are getting the hang of it :biggrin:

Last edited:
Climberao said:
Were those taken with the NEW camera. It seems like you are getting the hang of it :biggrin:

LOL. Nope these were taken by my pops. But I am learning the cam! :)

Brian2by2 said:
i have a 32' wellcraft and a 18' nitro. i love to fish as you can tell :)

Florida rocks for boating. I never could get into those fast boats though...i like to fish and snorkel and dive...cruisin around isn't really my cup o tea.

Hey Brian, do you go fishing in the Keys often? We just got back from a trip on the boat. We went to Chub and spent three nights 'at the hook', then ventured to Atlantis for a couple. We got LOTZ of Yellowfish, a couple REALLY NICE groupers.... We did some deep sea trolling, it was SO fun! I hope to get the pics soon. My little cousin went with us (he's 10) and we have a pic of him surrounded by fish we caught. So cute. Hope they'll be up soon!

Last edited:
MiamiMermaid said:
Hey Brian, do you go fishing in the Keys often? We just got back from a trip on the boat. We went to Chub and spent three nights 'at the hook', then ventured to Atlantis for a couple. We got LOTZ of Yellowfish, a couple REALLY NICE groupers.... We did some deep sea trolling, it was SO fun! I hope to get the pics soon. My little cousin went with us (he's 10) and we have a pic of him surrounded by fish we caught. So cute. Hope they'll be up soon!

Yup, I fish the keys quite a bit. In fact, I'm going back down in two weeks for a week long fishing expedition in Islamorada :) Last time we went down there, we had a great time!! Ended up catching 5 dolphin over 30lbs, 20-30 between 10 and 20lbs and 2 wahoo (32lbs and 37lbs). We released a sail after getting him boatside. It was one of our first attempts at kite-fishing with some goggle eyes we caught. I would venture to say it was about a 30-35lb sail that just slammed the goggle. I gave that one to my buddy since he's from S. Carolina and never gets to see the ocean.

I have some pics on my friends camera. i don't typically bring my camera on the boat. I'll try and get them from him if i can. I also went swimming with a big loggerhead about 9 miles out. Got a lot of pics of that...soooo much fun!

Brian2by2 said:
Yup, I fish the keys quite a bit. In fact, I'm going back down in two weeks for a week long fishing expedition in Islamorada :) Last time we went down there, we had a great time!! Ended up catching 5 dolphin over 30lbs, 20-30 between 10 and 20lbs and 2 wahoo (32lbs and 37lbs). We released a sail after getting him boatside. It was one of our first attempts at kite-fishing with some goggle eyes we caught. I would venture to say it was about a 30-35lb sail that just slammed the goggle. I gave that one to my buddy since he's from S. Carolina and never gets to see the ocean.

I have some pics on my friends camera. i don't typically bring my camera on the boat. I'll try and get them from him if i can. I also went swimming with a big loggerhead about 9 miles out. Got a lot of pics of that...soooo much fun!

Sweet! I just got back from a trip to Bahamas. Here's a pic of my lil' cousin with some of the fishies he caught. So cute!!

Attachments

• ChrisSurroundFish2.JPG
    ChrisSurroundFish2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back