• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hurricane Katrina....how can I volunteer to help??

So I was thinking today that with all of the destruction and storm damage caused around New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina there has to be a way to volunteer to help clean up. Does anyone know how?? I am thinking I may drive down to help....

Mitch, I think you're just looking for a reason to drive a couple thousand miles... :biggrin: j/k

Autophile said:
Mitch, I think you're just looking for a reason to drive a couple thousand miles... :biggrin: j/k

Well...it would be for a good cause. :)

My neighbor has a friend who lives 200 miles away from New Orleans.

The friend gathered some other friends to go down to help. They brought their boat, and went around to rescue people.

They encountered around 60 dead people, all people trapped in their attics, in the mandatory evacuation areas, who had chosen to stay despite the evacuation order.

They rescued quite a few people.

However, when they went to one area to rescue some people, the people near the house they were at shot at them.

The people who were near the rescue area were pizzed that it took so long for rescuers to come to rescue them. When they saw their neighbors getting rescued first, they went nuts, and took their guns and shot at the rescuers.

The friend's party were injured. One of the people got shot in the arm, and had to leave the area. After that incident, the friend said "to hell with this" and left the area.

People... :(

yikes!

sounds like "give money" and let the pro's (and those who are allowed to carry their own arms) do their job.

you're right - people :(

NsXMas said:
This situation is getting insane...

Sniper fire halts hospital evacuation

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good Lord, what kind of animals are some of these "people"??? :mad: :mad:
apparently the same darwin candidates who opted to not evacuate the area when it was clear the hurricane hitting them was a possibility.

yup, i know the first thing i'd do is take out the rescuers... that'll fix 'em.
:frown:

Darwin's way of population control. Lots of people there that have BIG shirts and small hats.... :eek:

Why not like start somekind of fundraiser at your NSXPO thing? I dont kno what you guys do there, but if you race laps, why not pay $5 a lap and send all the money to Red Cross or whatever place that you please...I kno my school is going to do something for our spirit week...(go sophmores!)

Go to the American Red Cross site and just click the button and send money, that is what they need to help out. I did it, took about 15 seconds. If everyone in the US helped out, things would get much better much quicker. These people need help.

It's time to help - whether with time, money, food, prayer.... - Please, do something. Anybody! Anywhere! It's a noble and worth-while cause to do so.

I recieved this from another forum: The number is legit as a few others from the forums called the sheriffs office already to check before sending donations.

WE RECEIVED A CALL FROM HANCOCK COUNTY SHERIFF STEVE GARBER THIS DATE REQUESTING ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE WITH CLOTHING FOR HIS DEPUTIES. THE ONLY CLOTHES THESE MEN AND WOMEN HAVE IS WHAT THEY WERE WEARING WHEN KATRINA HIT MONDAY. THEIR NEEDS ARE BASIC, INCLUDING UNDERWEAR, BOOTS, SOCKS, T-SHIRTS, PANTS AND TOILETRIES. THE SIZES WE WERE GIVEN RANGE FROM
34-46 WAIST AND SM-XXX SHIRTS. THESE ITEMS ARE DESPERATELY AND IMMEDIATELY NEEDED. ANY DONATIONS CAN BE SENT TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS:

MADISON COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE
ATTN:SHERIFF TOBY TROWBRIDGE JR
2941 HWY 51 SOUTH
CANTON, MS 39046

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT OUR AGENCY AT (601)859-2345. THA NKS IN ADVANCE.

MADISON COUNTY SHERIFFS COMMUNICATI0NS, CANTON, MS 08/31/2005 22:41:09 AUTH:SHERIFF TOBY
TROWBRIDGE, JR MADISON-SO1
OPR/3281 AUT/5095

MRI 5335518 21107 0504 AT 22:41:26 08/31/05
--------------------------------------------------------------

The sizes of clothes really do not matter, Clothes and other items are also going to the familys of the Deputys and the local FD and other Law enforcement agencies.

The sooner the law enforcement gets back on there feet, the sooner they can help the city get back on its feet

For all the people in amazement about how the people in New Orleans are acting, just pray to whoever you pray to that you don't have to suffer and make the decisions these people had to make in the last week or so. I personally consider myself a sane person under most situations, but there is now way i would be able to hold it together under all that. Ain't no Dummies book or (nsx prime search) for shit like this. Trying to leave and being in HOURS OF TRAFFIC? Hell rush hour punks most of us. Feces, urine, the dead, missing family members, and the promise to help from our country(biggest one) might have me rollin' with a shotgun or 2. The only real surprise is that i honestly thought our military and government would have helped sooner and more completely. Expect this to get much worse before it gets better. Man we were full tilt in Iraq in the amount of time these people have suffered. I am committed to helping anyway i can. Only by the grace of God have i not suffered this fate, or exposed to this ordeal. NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM A NATURAL DISASTER. On a + note glad to see humans coming to the aid of the suffering. Very humbling things going on in the world now.

Ko-nsx said:
For all the people in amazement about how the people in New Orleans are acting, just pray to whoever you pray to that you don't have to suffer and make the decisions these people had to make in the last week or so. I personally consider myself a sane person under most situations, but there is now way i would be able to hold it together under all that. Ain't no Dummies book or (nsx prime search) for shit like this. Trying to leave and being in HOURS OF TRAFFIC? Hell rush hour punks most of us. Feces, urine, the dead, missing family members, and the promise to help from our country(biggest one) might have me rollin' with a shotgun or 2. The only real surprise is that i honestly thought our military and government would have helped sooner and more completely. Expect this to get much worse before it gets better. Man we were full tilt in Iraq in the amount of time these people have suffered. I am committed to helping anyway i can. Only by the grace of God have i not suffered this fate, or exposed to this ordeal. NO ONE IS EXEMPT FROM A NATURAL DISASTER. On a + note glad to see humans coming to the aid of the suffering. Very humbling things going on in the world now.

Please be easy on the military! I am in the military, and I know most, if not all military, (with many come from those area,) would sacrifice everything for those people. However, at this time, we are following our orders and tied up elsewhere. With the current situation regarding oil price, it would be wise for us to be around in Iraq and have a foot-hold. (I am not going to discuss it any further than that.) But you can se: As of right now, thousands and thousands of National Guard men and women, from units that are not going oversea, are pouring in to help from all over the country. (Hell, even the Louisiana National Guard units are tied up in Iraq, and it's breaking their heart watching this.) Make no mistake: We took an oath to defend and protect this country and its people, with our lives, against everything - be it natural disasters.

Right now, the ones that are still here, and people from all over the world: Let's do what we can. Please, do something! Thankyou!

Strength and chracters!

Ko-nsx said:
Wasn't there a mandatory evacuation order given earlier? I think a lot of the people stuck there chose to stay behind.

Ko-nsx said:

Amen.

Ko-nsx said:

Nicely said. God Bless ALL Our Brothers & Sisters

this came from my pastor today......

HURRICANE DISASTER RELIEF
(How You Can Help!)

1) Assemble Health/Hygiene Kits
Purchase and assemble the following items in a sealed one gallon plastic bag (money, notes or any other items should not go in the bag):

1 hand towel
1 wash cloth
1 comb (large and sturdy, not pocket-sized)
1 nail file or fingernail clippers (no emery boards or toenail clippers)
1 bath-size bar of soap (3 oz. and up)
1 toothbrush (single brush only in original wrapper; no child-sized brushes)
1 large tube of toothpaste (4.5 oz or larger, with expiration date not sooner than March, 2006)
6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages

2) Make a check out to Red Cross

3) Assemble Layette Kits
Because parents with young children need special items, purchase and assemble one or more “Layette Kits” containing the following items:

6 cloth diapers
2 diaper pins
2 shirts or 2 one-piece body suits
1 sweater – open in front
2 baby washcloths
2 receiving blankets
2 gowns or 2 sleepers
Make sure the kit contains exactly these items – additional items make the kit unusable
[Packing: Bundle the items inside one of the receiving blankets and secure it with diaper pins - packing a different way will make it unusable]

These can be dropped off at the many stations popping up all over America for the receipt of "hard goods".

NsXMas said:
Wasn't there a mandatory evacuation order given earlier? I think a lot of the people stuck there chose to stay behind.

Keep in mind that this is one of the poorest areas in the country. With no car and no money, how are you going to get out of town and where are you going to stay? The majority of those who stayed are well below the poverty line and had limited choices.

wildbill846 said:
Keep in mind that this is one of the poorest areas in the country. With no car and no money, how are you going to get out of town and where are you going to stay? The majority of those who stayed are well below the poverty line and had limited choices.

Yes, indeed! Being poor is not a crime - whether by choice or not. However, as human being, I hope that most, if not all, will step in and lend a hand when situation like this occurred, regardless of your financial status. Trust me, I volunteered for the October 2003 Fire-storm at Scripps Ranch, San Diego, a rich place - I know what compassion and suffering are all about.

Back