• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CV joint rebuild

Has anyone rebuilt their CV joints?

History: I had a grinding noise heard mostly at light/part throttle. Jacked car to do an exam, found a noisy intermediate shaft bearing. Upon disassembly I find the bearing wasn't sooo bad but the inner CV on pass. side is a tad loose.

Before I tear apart the CV boot, has anyone done theirs? I see by the FWSM that they use 'roller'. I assume by looking at the pictures that it is a roller/needle bearing (3 per spider). Can they be purchased seperately or do the whole CV need replaced?

I need to call someone tomorrow to get some parts, so any help is appreciated.

I have done many. You need to replace the joint. The outer races contact the outer case and that is the entire joint. You cannot buy them separately anyway. You might want to post for a used driveshaft.

I would PM user "ak" on this board. I beleive he has one, since i just replaced a right driveshaft for him that had good CV joints, had a damaged axle shaft:).

HTH,
LarryB

My right inner CV joint boot wrenched and the lack of grease did surely the rest to the joint. At last I can hear the joint becoming louder under load and against engine temperature.
When I just start to drive with the cold engine there is almost nothing to hear but after some kilometers with the engine warmed up I can hear the characteristical alternating noise of a worn joint. I want to go prepared to this job and had a look into the SM. After that I found this topic and wondered a little bit, - is it right, you cannot renew the rollers separately and I will definitely need a new joint?:confused:

Regards Michael

Attachments

• Donnerstag, 12.jpg
    Donnerstag, 12.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 176
Mine also need replacing. I think it's about USD700+ for the assembly. Mine also on the right side. There goes my NSX-R wing. :frown:

Thanks Drew for the link. Could you tell me which parts in this pic I actually need to replace? Thanks.

parts15.jpg

Why do you use that scanned in crap?? I worked very hard coming up with a free Electronic Parts Catalog. Get your copy here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70499

Or use this online version: http://www.nsxpartsdb.com

Larry Bastanaza is the expert here folks. I have yet to do this job, but I will as soon as my clutch gives out. He did a great write up on how to change out the CV boots, which essentially requires a rebuild of the wear parts too.

Take a look at the NSXCA magazine....two issues ago, the DIY version.

Drew

drew said:
Take a look at the NSXCA magazine....two issues ago, the DIY version.

Sorry for my ignorance, where can I get this ? I have no idea what NSXCA is !

Another reason to puke today was my visit of the Honda dealer where I ordered the CV joint boots. I thougt I ordered 4 pcs of boots for the whole job. But the dealer put just ONE boot on the desk and felt free to demand 124 € for it :eek: :eek: , thats about 100$/pc. I could not believe and asked him twice but he responds to me :"expensive car, expensice parts" :mad: :mad: :mad:

As I became hopping mad and threaten not to buy he reduced the price to 95€/pc (~80$). My guess was that its still too much but I bougth it under condition to fill some grease into my leaking boot, what is a 10 minute job.

Further he looked into his files and told me that even the inner joints of the 91 Legend are not to buy separately. I should buy the whole NSX joint for 331€ (~265$) what seems to be a more realistic price.

By the way, -is it a normal symptom for a worn cv joint to quiet down with rising speed? I just can hear it loud and clearly at speeds below 25mph! Could something else come into consideration for this alternating noise? As it appears rough each third of a wheel turn I think it is!:confused:

Regards Michael

Back