• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

strange noise help please

ok... my recently purchased 98 nsx is making a strange noise i never heard whith my 96.... my 98 is primarily stock with the exception of having comptech exhaust and headers.... the noise i am hearing is somwhat of a whistle during accelleration.... basically, if i am driving the car at a steady speed/rpm and i just slightly accelerate, or as i accelerate slowly/gradually from a stop, i hear a whistling sound briefly that sounds like it is coming from the airbox area ( almost sounds like it may be a vacume leak).... the whistle stops as the car gains acceleration...... i do not hear the whistle under any kind of heavy acceleration...i have checked the airbox area for loose screws and or hoses etc and did not find anything.....

any suggestions??????

thanks.....dave

How dows the car perform? If it is performing as always with good power, then this whislte has to be on the air cleaner side on the intake (in front of the throttle plate) There is not that much. For listening you can get a small piece of tubing and if you can get it to whistle, while someone else works the throttle, you can pinpoint it.

Make sure the lower airbox is secure and in place and seated into the large body grommet that leads to the scoop in the drivers fender. This means taking out the top cover and filter off so you will check everything while you are in there. Check the breater hoses for cracks leaks etc. Check the PCV valve.

Also unrelated to air flow would be the check your alternator(give it a listen) and also your A/C idler pulley. I know these are on the other side of the car, but sounds do strange things as they bounce around.

Does it do it with the car at rest and just raising the RPM's?

HTH,
LarryB

larry....thanks for reply...
i have not noticed any performance issuses.... the car runs perfectly and recently passed smog with no issues.... i can make the noise while at rest by slightly reving the engine, but it is difficult to hear somtimes due to the exhaust noise.... the time when it is MOST readily heard is while in 1st gear, just after starting to move forward, with subtle acceleration.... at this point if i just give it ever so slight more throtle, the noise can be heard until the speed catches up with the rpms..... again, this noise is VERY short lived and subtle, but is still enough to bother me..... i am planning on going to the comptech meet on the 12th, so maybe someone at comptech or another owner with same model year and mods can help.... thanks again.....Dave

probably the air filter. If you have any cone air filter you'll get that whisle.

I go the APEXI velocity stack on one NSX and the K&N on the other one... and man does the APEXi sing when i get on the gas.

Also the K&N is pretty loud too.

Keep your engine lid open and the second lid proped up. Lower your windows and listen to your engine. You should be able to kind of visulize where the sound is from when you rev the engine.

Back