• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CTSC Performance Question

BD

Legendary Member
Hello guys, I have been in an 1991 CTSC NSX, and it felt fast, but the question I have is, how come most of the magazine I had read in the past show the 0-60 time around 4.5 - 4.7 seconds, and 1/4 miles around 12.9. How many of you guys have time your CTSC car to see if the performance is better than listed above? Is it really worth that much money to trim .2 to .3 seconds? I don't quite understand since the HP gain is pertty dramatic with almost like minimum performance gain.

I'm thinking about getting something done to my car, but I can't justify the cost if the performance gain is minimum like listed in the magazines.

Any personal Experience will help. Thanks

I think this is a great question for someone to look into. Other options for SC are there and the cost seems comparable,but there is more bang for youre buck. I think the initial setups on these other systems are more intense but once dialed they may be as reliable. I also think that any system pushing only 6/7 lbs. boost(like the ctsc i just put on) would have the same safety to engine if some sort of tunining is done of course. jmho

I don't quite understand since the HP gain is pretty dramatic with almost like minimum performance gain.

F = MA

or "Performance is function of a square."

A rough example:
Doubling the HP would not double the performance.
You would have to quadruple the HP. (Or halve the weight.)

You also have to consider the latency, onset and gearing.

The difference in being first and "the first loser", is much less than 0.1 second.

Drew
/yes, I know "not exactly", but an illustrative example only.

I've always wondered about why the NSX SC'ed put down such little rwhp :confused: I know its comparing apples to oranges (maybe not) but a 7.5 psi SC'ed M3 tuned right will put down about 417rwhp and run a 1/4 of 12.1/12.2 with a trap speed of 119 that's just as quick as the FX 400 turbo kit on the NSX.

Before I get flamed, I will admit that I do not know much about FI! But would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain to me why the CTSC'ed NSX doesn't produce impressive #'s on the Dyno and 1/4 :redface:

NsSeX said:
I've always wondered about why the NSX SC'ed put down such little rwhp :confused: I know its comparing apples to oranges (maybe not) but a 7.5 psi SC'ed M3 tuned right will put down about 417rwhp and run a 1/4 of 12.1/12.2 with a trap speed of 119 that's just as quick as the FX 400 turbo kit on the NSX.

Before I get flamed, I will admit that I do not know much about FI! But would greatly appreciate it if someone could explain to me why the CTSC'ed NSX doesn't produce impressive #'s on the Dyno and 1/4 :redface:

Is the M3 a postive displacement blower or a centrifical blower? You need to compare apples to apples. Plus the M3 starts with 333HP vs the NSX 290. That's 43 right there.

NetViper said:
Is the M3 a postive displacement blower or a centrifical blower? You need to compare apples to apples. Plus the M3 starts with 333HP vs the NSX 290. That's 43 right there.

I believe the Active autowerks SC is a ventrifical blower. I know that the m3 has more hp stock vs. stock than a NSX, but that doesn't mean that the NSX is a slower car. What I don't understand is how can a heavy car like the M3 pull low 12's consistanly with the trap of 119? :confused:

Again I don't know much (well anything) about FI so I'm just trying to learn and understand here :biggrin:

AA SC'd M3's don't pull low 12's consistently. There are very few out there in that range.

I know of a few that bearly cracked 13 with the AA setup.

I know not all of the AA SC'ed M3's run low 12's but they do and are capable where as I don't see sc'ed NSX's (atleast CTSC) running fast times equivalent to the M's :confused: Or am I just mistaken?

Vancehu said:
Hello guys, I have been in an 1991 CTSC NSX, and it felt fast, but the question I have is, how come most of the magazine I had read in the past show the 0-60 time around 4.5 - 4.7 seconds, and 1/4 miles around 12.9. How many of you guys have time your CTSC car to see if the performance is better than listed above? Is it really worth that much money to trim .2 to .3 seconds? I don't quite understand since the HP gain is pertty dramatic with almost like minimum performance gain.

I'm thinking about getting something done to my car, but I can't justify the cost if the performance gain is minimum like listed in the magazines.

Any personal Experience will help. Thanks

I have both NA and CTSC with 9lb.......both with headers, Random Hiflo Cats, after market exhuast. and drive them back to back.

first look for what you are realy searching for. You want bragging rights, or to go fast. or both.

The HP gained question why not doubling speed/performance, well I have been told by a few race car mechanics that to run a blower it already takes about 60 hp out of the engine. so it may say it gives 100+ but also takes it to run the extra mechanic part added to the engine.

you must look at cost approach.

pay for 10K with install, making sure tuning is done right+ headers, intake, exhuast = 10K +plus
I have had my 91 CTSC NSX w/20 k miles for about 8 months and purchased it with CTSC and Mark Basch did all the install and tuning....the tuning I was told was by far one of the best....has the Ct clutch, short gears, 4.55 RnP, CT headers, Random Hiflo Cats, Ct exhaust, heavy 18/19 Works Seekers.....it dyno on a dyno pack in Sac town shop came in at 347hp , 247 lb trq
This CTSC NSX has been dyno two places, one came with 347 hp /247 lb on a dynoPack and 329 hp/235 lb on a dynojet.

now, what can you do with that 10K with a NA to make it faster? =

my NA 91 NSX w/90k miles w/Dali chip, New Custom intake, Wrapped CT headers, hiflow Cats, Wrapped Taitic GT exhaust..5sp, stock clutch, stock gearing..lighter 17 inch wheels......on a dyno jet in Dublin shop at 278 HP and 211 lb torque ...WOW !!......so about making it faster......how about with the extra money, I gues I can go get a bad ass light carbon fiber wide body kit? put lexan hatch (just purchased), rip carpeting in the trunk for more weight loss

but I do love BOTH OF MY NSX :smile:

so you have to look at it, price? and get more hp/trq...........or can you make it go faster with lower weight and do normal bolt on....and have the look of a CF wide body .

I can't make up my mind ether, and can't stop buying parts, so i will do both. :biggrin:

if your up in Nor Cal, pm me.

cheers
LitoG

Back