• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing rust

I noticed on a few spots there is some rust in the engine compartment. Is there a way to remove it easily?

Wow, how does that work????

m3power222 said:
Wow, how does that work????

I just tried it on my car trailer rims and it works :biggrin:

Found this quote from the web:

"Phosphoric Acid etch will leave a hard, bright metal finish. This is because it will etch the surface slightly, exposing new, bare metal. Often this is desirable. It leaves an attractive surface and a surface ready to paint. A common product which contains Phosphoric Acid is Naval Jelly. The soft drink Coca-Cola contains Phosphoric Acid, so Coke will etch rust."

1TITENSX said:
A common product which contains Phosphoric Acid is Naval Jelly. The soft drink Coca-Cola contains Phosphoric Acid, so Coke will etch rust."

That's good to know. Next time I'm working in the garage and work up a thirst I'll just take a swig of naval jelly since it's a lot closer than going all the way into the kitchen.

I learn something new every day. So do you scrub the rust with the foil that was dipped in Coca Cola?

Veleno said:
I learn something new every day. So do you scrub the rust with the foil that was dipped in Coca Cola?

No. You roll the foil into little balls and wash it down your throat with the Coca Cola. The chemical reaction in your digestive system completes the high tech rust removing solution then you simply urinate on those pesky rust spots.

m3power222 said:
I noticed on a few spots there is some rust in the engine compartment.
Are you talking about your M3, which is made of steel, which rusts, or an NSX, which is made of aluminum?

Hugh said:
No. You roll the foil into little balls and wash it down your throat with the Coca Cola. The chemical reaction in your digestive system completes the high tech rust removing solution then you simply urinate on those pesky rust spots.

Is that why whenever I come over to your house and use your bathroom, the toilet bowl glows in the dark?

1TITENSX said:
I just tried it on my car trailer rims and it works :biggrin:

Found this quote from the web:

"Phosphoric Acid etch will leave a hard, bright metal finish. This is because it will etch the surface slightly, exposing new, bare metal. Often this is desirable. It leaves an attractive surface and a surface ready to paint. A common product which contains Phosphoric Acid is Naval Jelly. The soft drink Coca-Cola contains Phosphoric Acid, so Coke will etch rust."

So what does that do for your teeth?? :tongue: :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
Are you talking about your M3, which is made of steel, which rusts, or an NSX, which is made of aluminum?

That was the second thing I thought of. What car are we speaking of? Obviously not the NSX unless it it some item installed on the engine that it metal.

nsxtasy said:

Galvanic corrosion can afflict the cooling system and deposit stains resembling rust in the engine compartment. The NSX is extremely well engineered to avoid this but over time it can and will happen.

Hugh said:

the irony in this is that after reading that post i actually had coca cola go up my nose...funny how that works.:biggrin:

cwood1388 said:
the irony in this is that after reading that post i actually had coke go up my nose...funny how that works.:biggrin:

If you're going to do coke, having it go up your nose is better than smoking it. :)

good point..lol sorry for the slang

nsxtasy said:
Hasn't happened here, but it's only been fifteen years so far...

Consider yourself lucky. You've probably kept all your maintenance items OEM and had impeccable service performed on your car.
Galvanic corrosion results when different types of metal make some sort of electrical contact. Aftermarket metal gaskets can be a culprit, aftermarket cooling tanks can be as well. Having a shop put used anti freeze in your car can certainly be a culprit as well.

Back