• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBC- Top Gear new season - NSX at Laguna Seca

kye

Contributing Member
Gran Turismo NSX vs real Honda NSX
Sometime over the summer Jeremy became hooked on that acne-wracked teenager's favourite Gran Turismo 4, and that gave us an idea.

He was banging on about how sweetly his virtual Honda NSX handles and how excellent he is at flicking it around the digital version of the snaky Laguna Seca track in northern California.

So, we got an actual NSX and flew actual Jeremy on an actual plane to actual America to see if he could beat his computer-game lap time in real life. And that's no easy task because Laguna Seca is one of the world's most challenging tracks.

When you crash in the game, you make yourself a cup of tea and start again. If you crash at the real track, you will be drinking your tea through a straw. So, the perfect challenge for a middle-aged man with a dicky back, then.

-------------------
Someone reading this in the UK, any chance you can copy it and send it into Prime for us all to see?

//Kye

Re: BBC- Top Gear new season - NSX at Leguna Seca

Hi

I read what you quoted somewhere. I have the latest two episodes of season 8 of Top Gear which have aired and no NSX yet.

Well in the first episodes they show what is up this season and there you see Jeremy in a Monaco blue NSX going sideways probably on Laguna Seca.

Top Gear are on in about 1.5 hours and I will watch it and post here if this episode includes some NSX action.

(Looks like it will be a repeat show today with the RS4 and rockclimbing) :(

The episode will shortly after be availible for download from the net. I won't post the link here because the mods seems to not like it.

It will probably be out there in cyberspace on monday/tuesday.

Regards

I'd love to see this video. Just three weeks ago, I took the Skip Barber 3-day Racing School at Laguna Seca, driving their "formula Dodge" open wheeled cars during the course. Laguna Seca is a great track, and seems especially well suited to a mid-engine car that's as well balanced as the NSX. In the formula Dodge cars, it's hard to do something really stupid since they're so low to the ground that the worst thing you can do is to spin ("both feet in") into the gravel runoff areas. I speculate that the NSX would seem pretty much the same despite its higher center of gravity, although you'd want to turn off traction control since on some of the curves (turn 2 especially -- the Andretti hairpin) the car always felt as if it were drifting a bit if you were going through the turn correctly.

BTW, a little plug here: the course was great, the instructors great, and I just wish it hadn't rained on the third day...

Martin, Top Gear is on season seven....I'm watching episode 3 right now (it's funny as hell). Unfortunately no NSX in this episode.

BTW, I posted about this last week.

akira3d said:
Martin, Top Gear is on season seven....I'm watching episode 3 right now (it's funny as hell). Unfortunately no NSX in this episode.

BTW, I posted about this last week.

Hi

Okey my bad. Season 7 it is.

The scene with the supercars driving out of the underground carpark reminds me of when I was down at Gheba's and bought my silver bullet. I was really scared when Gheba drove it out of the garage. :eek:

Top Gear does not show what is on in the next episode on their website. That is too bad, but it will not be long I hope. And it will be all over Prime when it shows thats for sure :)

In the preview they have showed it looks like JC enjoyes himself yelling "more more more of that" drifting that Monaco blue NSX on Laguna Seca :)

Regards

there is a clip of it in the first episode where the preview whats to come during the season... its a blue 2002+ nsx.

The new series is starting next week, i saw an advert for it last night. Hopefully it will be on the first episiode!

robfenn said:
The new series is starting next week, i saw an advert for it last night. Hopefully it will be on the first episiode!

Hi

I am not sure where you live, but the new season is on already in the UK. I have seen the ones up until now and it has not been on yet.

Here you have a nice clock ticking down to the next Fifth Gear and Top Gear episode.

Regards

Can anyone post what days and times Top/Fifth Gear's new episodes will be aired? BTW, I'm on DISHtv.

Episode Four is up on torrent sites! ...here's the <A HREF="http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/thisweek/">episode description</A> from Top Gear. Doesn't sound like the NSX made it. :( Next week (11th Dec) has the 1000HP bugatti!!! :eek:

It's just like they knew everyone here on NSXPrime would be hanging for this episode, so they left it until last. :D

I'm watching the fourth episode right now (during lunch...it's become a Monday tradition).

Unfortunately, I'm going on a trip and won't be back until January...and probably won't have computer or Internet access for most of the trip. So I won't get to see the NSX episode until next year. :(

akira3d said:
Unfortunately, I'm going on a trip and won't be back until January...and probably won't have computer or Internet access for most of the trip. So I won't get to see the NSX episode until next year. :(

Don't worry... if you get can get on Prime for even a moment, we'll tell you how great it is. :D

Where are you going that doesn't have Internet access? :confused: Even Antartica, eastern block countries, and Nepal has the Internet.

Is Top Gear aired in the USA? I have Comcast cable and it does not appear in any of my searches.

Thanks

mikec said:
Is Top Gear aired in the USA? I have Comcast cable and it does not appear in any of my searches.

Thanks

They ran last seasons episodes that had been "americanized" on discovery on Wednesday Nights. They haven't ran in a while.

I just download them now from finalgear.com.

Well Top Gear was on on sunday and it didn't feature the NSX, maybe next week!

NeoNSX said:
Where are you going that doesn't have Internet access?

I'm going to Vietnam...I know I'll have Internet access at least some of the time, but I'm not bringing a computer on the trip. Of course, I'll have my trusty PSP with me...so wi-fi access will mean Prime access. I just don't anticipate many opportunities...so just assume I won't be on Prime much, if at all, for about a month.

Heck, I'm going to miss watching USC play in the Rose Bowl. That just seems so wrong!

Hey Eric, I forgot you told me about going to vietnam. what video formats can the PSP play -- we might be able to re-encode the NSX Top Gear episode just for you. ;)

I have the first four episodes of this season in MP4 AVC on my PSP already (I've been using pspvideo9 for all my encoding needs). I'm also carrying with me the entire fourth season of 24 (need to see it before season 5 starts in January). I've been perfectly happy squeezing everything down to 368x208 256kbps (64kbps stereo or 96kbps stereo)...the quality is unexpectedly good and the data size is very portable (a 1 hour episode is around 160MB).

If I'm fortunate enough to find wi-fi access while I'm there, I'll check Prime and see if one of you has posted a link (for now, I'd be happy just seeing the NSX segment as I can easily wait to see the whole show when I return).

akira3d said:
I have the first four episodes of this season in MP4 AVC on my PSP already (I've been using pspvideo9 for all my encoding needs). I'm also carrying with me the entire fourth season of 24 (need to see it before season 5 starts in January). I've been perfectly happy squeezing everything down to 368x208 256kbps (64kbps stereo or 96kbps stereo)...the quality is unexpectedly good and the data size is very portable (a 1 hour episode is around 160MB).

If I'm fortunate enough to find wi-fi access while I'm there, I'll check Prime and see if one of you has posted a link (for now, I'd be happy just seeing the NSX segment as I can easily wait to see the whole show when I return).
Eric

Where are you downloading the episodes from?

Back