• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nissan 300ZX for my GF

I had a 1991 300ZX (NA) for 7 years. Sold it with 60,000 miles. Fun car to drive, pretty reliable, timeless good looks BUT no NSX. I know it's for your GF and the great thing about it (unless you/she want's it) is you don't get all the "unwanted" attention I get in the NSX so it's fun to drive every day and not worry about it. Here's a pic of my old Z:
5115Z49.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 1990 NA, I enjoyed it alot. Miss the t-tops. Major expense during my ownership was having the timing belt/water pump maintenance done and that was not very expensive at all. Very reliable.

Here is a pic of my old baby....

MVC-252F.JPG

Absolutely loved my 93... traded it for my 528i in 99. It had 107k miles and BMW still gave me $11k for it. The only major problem i had was the tranny went out at about 44k but Nissan replaced the entire thing under Drivetrain warranty. Other than that I loved it and wept bitterly when i traded it.

Nice to know that your GF wants a z.

I had 3 of them over the years.. a 1990, 91, 94...... (my favorite was the 90, because of the color it was a pearl cream , that was 2+2, leather, 5 SPD..hard combination to get)

I prefer 2 +2....over the 2 seater...not that you can fit anyone comfortably in the back, but its nice to have the extra room to throw things back there.

300ZX turbo are very popular (over-rated in MY opinion)..plus they dont come in 2+2.

Obviously, 5spd sells better than an automatic. But if she doesnt care, thats no problem.

As with any car, have it checked by a mechanic... For example AC problemscan be costly. Some people used fuel injector cleaners, which can ruin the coils.

Gas mileage is not great, and obviously its not a car for winter driving (snow, wetness)..

The good thing......in my opinion, i think the way these 300zx are priced, is very inexpensive... like racer said, its timeless design, and i still double look at one everytime i see one. It looks somewhat exotic, and like the nsx, some people dont know what it is...Looks more expensive then what they really cost... You can get ones for as low as $3000 (with higher miles).....(thats cheap !!) for a great looking car like that... and some like the last year (96) sell for around $14k with low miles...

In 93 they introduced a convertible...and i think ...it will become a collector's car in the future....(my opinion :) )

So overall...with the plus and minus.....i think its a very good buy..

check this website out for more info
http://www.300zxclub.com/

I just sold my 300zx.

Anyway, I highly suggest that you get a 1992 and up because the early ones have transmission (automatic) and fuel injection bugs in them.

They are fun cars. Get the t-tops. :biggrin:

Agree with chytaan on preference for the 2+2. Mine is a 1996 blk 2+2 auto, grey velour cloth interior, 63 K miles, out of TX. If I were to sell it tonight, I would ask/sell at $13,850 +/- a couple hundred $.
Why 1996? First year for R134 a air conditioning (a huge bonus to my way of thinking) and first year for OBDII diagnostic system. Of the 1990 thru 1996 models, 1996 basically had the lowest volume of production. If I remember right, in 1996 model year Nissan (knowing the model was going to go away) brought only 638 2+2's into USA and Canada. Their base price stickered at $41,000 so same price as a Corvette then....
Here in Michigan, there were few survivors! They either rusted away or became high mileage beaters/fright pigs. Very rare here to see one in decent condition. It is always fun to drive, economical, reliable, not bad to insure, well equipped, and should (I hope) retain it's value.

I still have my 94 Convertible. It's a blast to drive.:biggrin:

I see quite a few girls driving 300ZX's. Nice car, i really like them.

I was talking to a guy who owned one, and while he loved the car his biggest complaints were 1) it drank a lot of fuel, 2) the turbo needed servicing every 5000km (???) and 3) it drank a lot of fuel. :D But great car.

I had 2 91's, both NA, a 2-seater (black/camel), and a 2+2 (black/black). The interior is awesome, with great seats. The power was weak, the best I could do was a 16.0 1/4 mile, and 15.8 with no air filter. But it is a great looking car, reliable, fun to drive, and comfortable.

The 2 seater looks better IMO, because the 2+2 has an extended section behind the b-pillar, and makes the car look too long.

I had a 1990 Z and I loved it. I got the car the first week it came out and it grabbed so much attention back then. When I see them on the road today I still take a second glance. Come to think of it, maybe I'll start to look for a '95 TT to play with. :wink:

Milton-

Good choice on that car..My Nephew who has been a Z fan for a while and works on these quite a bit says, they are awesome cars. He has a TT and an NA. They are gas guzzlers, but very fun to drive around town with.

If you can get a good deal on a low mileage one...get it.

Good luck bro.

Mike

I had one for 2 years. Loved and hated it at the same time. Loved the power, power and more power! 400rwhp was $3500 with me doing the work. That was the part I hated; the work. Damn motor was so tight under that hood that you had to remove so much to do so little. I would own another one if someone else did the wrenching. I still have scares on my hands from that car. ha, ha

DSCN6348.JPG

how fast are they? do they handle well?

I want to get one to replace my 99 accord v6.

I like the 2+2, I hear they are slow unless you get the twin turbo model...

You cannot get the 2+2 turbo in the states. And converting one is very costly, as you basically need the front clip of a donor car for all the pieces. Go to www.twinturbo.net for all of your 300ZX needs.

the0ne said:
how fast are they? do they handle well?

I want to get one to replace my 99 accord v6.

I like the 2+2, I hear they are slow unless you get the twin turbo model...

I had a 1990 NA, I enjoyed it alot. Miss the t-tops. Major expense during my ownership was having the timing belt/water pump maintenance done and that was not very expensive at all. Very reliable.

Here is a pic of my old baby....

MVC-252F.JPG

Carbon copy of mine....so nice to see after spying this today in Pittsburgh:

e98b5198ae20f55fb51885a2540d5bd4.jpg

077ed7cfd966c95f50c1eae90e20ca1f.jpg

Last edited:
fantastic cars. i had a '93 non turbo with a 5-speed, and t-tops. great handling car. nothing from that time is fast anymore, but they're fun and as good as anything from the late 80's and early 90's...

Hey Yinz?

Carbon copy of mine....so nice to see after spying this today in Pittsburgh:

e98b5198ae20f55fb51885a2540d5bd4.jpg

077ed7cfd966c95f50c1eae90e20ca1f.jpg

Thought we had a deal on this? I report it stolen, collect my $13,850, and you made certain it goes away :wink:
Wow years later it's been found in Allegheny County, PA? No sh*t! What's the chance of that? :biggrin:

I have a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo Stage III, 343 rwhp with 408,000 miles. I'm selling it just because I've run out of garage space but I have (obviously) enjoyed the car. Stillen front fascia and full Wings West package.
NSX ZX stacked side.JPG

I have a 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo Stage III, 343 rwhp with 408,000 miles. I'm selling it just because I've run out of garage space but I have (obviously) enjoyed the car. Stillen front fascia and full Wings West package.
attachment.php

Soooooooooo much want. I will buy another again. How has yours been for reliability? Where is it listed FS? :) Mine nickled and dimed me for the two years I owned it to the point that it was far from the "money saving" move that I thought it would be to buy a used 9 year old car from a "little old lady first owner." I think after all was said & done after buy/sell & maintenance, it was a $370/month car for two years, back in 2000-2002.

Thought we had a deal on this? I report it stolen, collect my $13,850, and you made certain it goes away :wink:
Wow years later it's been found in Allegheny County, PA? No sh*t! What's the chance of that? :biggrin:

I buried it long ago with Hillary's political ambitions/potential after she stayed with her womanizing & lying husband and after she got caught in numerous scandals & lies. I can't help it someone dug them back up! Still awaiting my cut, too. :)

Last edited:
Back