• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2005 US-Spec NSX Production Numbers

NSX2398 said:
Yes, decrementing is easy but how do you know how far to increment?
BTW .. I didn't know that you could find the colors on owners link .. that's pretty cool.

What is even more amazing, is I think that every Acura ever sold is in the database. I tried out some old Legends, and they are in there, complete with the color combo.

There's a black '05 on ebay that's stating it's the last one built for '05. Did you figure that one in to your list? I'm curious to know if it really is the last one built/delivered to the U.S.

that was addressed in another thread. it was determined there was at least one other car in the honda database with a higher VIN that had already been sold

Re: 2005 NSX Production Numbers

Ben said:
Incidentally, Ryan's is the last US-spec Grand Prix White built (as of 1-6-2006). There is no 2005 Grand Prix White with a higher VIN (and no 2005 Grand Prix White Automatics either). So, if no more are built, then it's the very last US-spec Grand Prix White NSX ever.

My Blue/Camel came a couple day's before Ryan got his car.

It's # 173 ....... I wonder if mine was the last of the 3 made in that combo this year?

the program is just about done, hopefully will have the first pass started tonight for 1991 (might as well start with the largest data set first).

I started out writing the VIN generator first in VB 2005, but one of my developers excels at this stuff and by the time I had finished the code to generate the checksum, he already had written Java code to generate all possible VINs, code to try a standard transmission first and if it returned results, then move on to the next VIN, otherwise try automatic (trying to keep number of db lookups down), and code to scrape the return data. The only thing he had left was figuring out how to do a POST via the Java API. As of this morning he had that done and apparently just needed to know what format I wanted the output in.

So, obviously I'm out of the picture now, this stuff is best left to the experts :). I have him dumping everything to an XML file which I'll import into Excel. Not sure how long it will take to do approx 10,000 lookups, but hopefully by tomorrow or Wed I'll have the spreadsheet available for 1991 (and an XML file with the data if any techies here want to import it into a database).

Last edited:

robr said:
the program is just about done, hopefully will have the first pass started tonight for 1991 (might as well start with the largest data set first).

I started out writing the VIN generator first in VB 2005, but one of my developers excels at this stuff and by the time I had finished the code to generate the checksum, he already had written Java code to generate all possible VINs, code to try a standard transmission first and if it returned results, then move on to the next VIN, otherwise try automatic (trying to keep number of db lookups down), and code to scrape the return data. The only thing he had left was figuring out how to do a POST via the Java API. As of this morning he had that done and apparently just needed to know what format I wanted the output in.

So, obviously I'm out of the picture now, this stuff is best left to the experts :). I have him dumping everything to an XML file which I'll import into Excel. Not sure how long it will take to do approx 10,000 lookups, but hopefully by tomorrow or Wed I'll have the spreadsheet available for 1991 (and an XML file with the data if any techies here want to import it into a database).

The algorithm will need to be fine tuned depending on the year. Starting in 1997, the manual and automatic VINs are on "different" series, so they are totally separate from each other. Once I get to 1997-2001, I'll also figure out how the Coupe/Ts were differentiated, whether on the same or different series. The algorithm might need to be fine tuned at that point also.

Also, probably best not to query too many at the same time or in rapid succession, lest we overload the server, and have them take this neat lookup "feature" away.

tbck2793 said:
My Blue/Camel came a couple day's before Ryan got his car.

It's # 173 ....... I wonder if mine was the last of the 3 made in that combo this year?

Yes, #173 is the last US-Spec Long Beach Blue/Camel produced as of 1-23-2006.

There are 4 Long Beach Blue/Onyx and 3 Long Beach Blue/Blue after #173.

There are also 3 Long Beach Blue/Blue automatics, but you can't tell just by looking at the VIN if they were built after or before any given manual transmission car.

Last edited:
Veleno said:
There's a black '05 on ebay that's stating it's the last one built for '05. Did you figure that one in to your list? I'm curious to know if it really is the last one built/delivered to the U.S.

#215 is in my list.

The seller has been notified by one of the respondents in the other thread that #215 is not the last one, and has changed his listing.

Currently, the highest known number for 2005 is #241 (as of 1-23-2006), so there are at least 26 more after #215.

Also, you can't tell by the VIN alone if any of the automatics were built before or after #241, so to tell the true last one, you'd have to look at the build date on the door jamb label for manual transmission car #241 and automatic transmission car #8, and see which one is later.

Last edited:

thats another reason to start with 91. nice and simple algorithm. not really sure what we can do to avoid a ton of lookups, i suppose we could do something like limit it to once a minute, but that would take approx 7 days to complete and there is no error checking, restart capabilities in the program and i don't intend to have them added. on the other hand, a decent db implementation should have absolutely no problem handling one lookup per second or two. db performance is measured in transactions per second so I'm really not too worried about overloading any of their resources.

robr said:
thats another reason to start with 91. nice and simple algorithm. not really sure what we can do to avoid a ton of lookups, i suppose we could do something like limit it to once a minute, but that would take approx 7 days to complete and there is no error checking, restart capabilities in the program and i don't intend to have them added. on the other hand, a decent db implementation should have absolutely no problem handling one lookup per second or two. db performance is measured in transactions per second so I'm really not too worried about overloading any of their resources.

Actually, I'm not even certain that in 1991 if the automatics have their own VIN series or not. I'll check that in a bit.

im using the FAQ on prime for VIN decode. you have to do two possible VINs because one digit of the VIN changes based on transmission type which also changes the checksum. if you have VIN 000001 it could be auto or manual, so you may have to check both VINs. we're looking up manual first since it's more likely to produce a 'hit' and if it does, we dont check the second VIN.

sounds like youre suggesting there could be two 000001's, an auto and a manual which im pretty certain is never the case, regardless of year, transmission, model, or any other variable.

robr said:
im using the FAQ on prime for VIN decode. you have to do two lookups because one digit of the VIN changes which changes the checksum. if you have VIN 000001 it could be auto or manual, so you have to check both VINs. we're looking up manual first since it's more likely to produce a 'hit'.

sounds like youre suggesting there could be two 000001's, an auto and a manual which i dont think is the case for any year.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting. For 1997 up, this is exactly the case. The manuals and automatics run on different "series".

For 1997 and up, there are in fact two 000001s, one auto, and one manual, then two 000002s, and so on and so forth. This is because NA1 and NA2 are considered 2 different models, I guess. For 1991-1996, I'm not sure if they considered manual and automatic as different models.

I'm trying to figure this out now, but it's hard, because for 1991, up until #000063, I can't get consistent results. I.E., most cars are not in the system, but a few are. The few that are, they don't have any Carfax records, which leads me to believe that they are all test cars or something so far. Starting with #63, they are consistently in the system, and all have Carfax records.

I'm trying to figure this out now, but it's hard, because for 1991, up until #000063, I can't get consistent results.

Maybe the SN# in those earlier years included non-US cars. Certainly the SN# part of the VIN overran the totals for US cars in many of those years.

how about that! i don't believe that's mentioned in the FAQ and i've never seen it mentioned here. if you find out this is this case before 97 certainly let me know. we could also just check 000001 for auto and manual and remove the optimization just to cover all bases.

robr said:
how about that! i don't believe that's mentioned in the FAQ and i've never seen it mentioned here. if you find out this is this case before 97 certainly let me know. we could also just check 000001 for auto and manual and remove the optimization just to cover all bases.

Ok, it seems like the 1991-1996 cars have only one "series", because they are all NA1s. Manual and Auto are on the same series.

Note that the 8th digit is "6" on the 1991-1994 auto cars, as well as the 1996 Coupes, which means the FAQ on NSX VINs is incorrect. It currently says that "6" in the 8th digit means:

1997+ NSX-T with Power Steering, Dual Airbag, Active Belt

It should be changed to be:

1991-1994 NSX Coupe with Power Steering, Driver or Dual Airbag, Active Belt
1996 NSX Coupe with Power Steering, Dual Airbag, Active Belt
1997-2005 NSX-T with Power Steering, Dual Airbag, Active Belt

Last edited:
mindretch said:
Maybe the SN# in those earlier years included non-US cars. Certainly the SN# part of the VIN overran the totals for US cars in many of those years.

I guess that will be determined once we know the full series from robr's script.

it may be a couple more days before we actually fire up the program. real world work has priority and this guy has been working until 9 or 10 pm the past two nights. it's 95% done, it's logging data now, just the looping needs some attention.

status update

we have all the 91 5 speeds, i guess we have a glitch in the VIN algorithm for automatics. interestingly we came up with a total of 2883 standards, the FAQ reports the numer at 2886. pretty close!

color Total
Berlina Black 1177
Formula Red 1423
Sebring Silver Metallic 283
Grand Total 2883

silver/ivory people can rest easy, there's still only six 5-speeds :) - there is however one more silver/black than the FAQ reports
JH4NA1154MT001061
JH4NA1156MT001062
JH4NA1151MT001356
JH4NA1153MT001357
JH4NA1157MT001538
JH4NA1159MT001539

Last edited:
robr said:
status update

we have all the 91 5 speeds, i guess we have a glitch in the VIN algorithm for automatics. interestingly we came up with a total of 2883 standards, the FAQ reports the numer at 2886. pretty close!

color Total
Berlina Black 1177
Formula Red 1423
Sebring Silver Metallic 283
Grand Total 2883

silver/ivory people can rest easy, there's still only six 5-speeds :) - there is however one more silver/black than the FAQ reports
JH4NA1154MT001061
JH4NA1156MT001062
JH4NA1151MT001356
JH4NA1153MT001357
JH4NA1157MT001538
JH4NA1159MT001539

Offhand, how many after the "last" one did you query? I've found that sometimes, there are "breaks" in the series, that pick up a few cars later. I'll usually query the next 20 in the series after the "last" one, just to be sure.

Ben said:
Offhand, how many after the "last" one did you query? I've found that sometimes, there are "breaks" in the series, that pick up a few cars later. I'll usually query the next 20 in the series after the "last" one, just to be sure.

about 5000 after the last one :). i accidentally told the developer there were around 9000 in 1991 instead of 9000 for all years.

Updated, 1-23-2006.

2005 US-Spec Manual NSXs #223, #225-#237, and #239-#241 have shown up in American Honda's system.

No additional Automatics have shown up.

#238 is Unknown. Based on how #223 was previously Unknown, while #224 was not, I suspect there is at least one more shipment of US-Spec NSXs en route from Japan. :)

Tony Montoya said:
Would somebody please tell me if 007 automatic is a silver/onyx or silver/silver car.

Onyx

Back