• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2005 US-Spec NSX Production Numbers

Ben

Experienced Member
I calculated the full set of 2005 US-Spec NSX VINs (as of 1-23-2006), and manually got all the color/transmission combos from American Honda's system. Here are the fruits of my labor.

The highest VINs for 2005 (as of 1-23-2006) are:

5S000241 for the manual cars
5S000008 for automatic cars

For 2005, manual and automatic cars have their own VIN "series", meaning they are numbered differently. So, there would be two #000001 (one for manual, one for automatic), two #000002, and so on and so forth, all the way to #8, after which, there would only be the manual cars.

All 2005 cars are NSX-Ts.

Ideally, someone else should go through and compile their own list, so that we can compare and verify that no mistakes were made when recording the data. Once it's been verified that no mistakes were made, perhaps we can add this to the Production Number section of the FAQ. Additionally, if it's of any use to anyone, I also have which VIN corresponds to which color/transmission combo.

Note also, that the Automatic VINs are numbered differently from the Manual VINs, so there's no way to tell if an Automatic was built before or after a Manual car with just the VIN.

There is one car that is not in American Honda's system:

JH4NA21645S000238

I suspect that Honda Japan may have kept this car for their own use. If anyone has seen or knows anything about this car, feel free to share what you know. For the purposes of this database, it will be listed as "unknown".

Long Beach Blue Pearl/Onyx Manual: 16
Long Beach Blue Pearl/Blue Manual: 7
Long Beach Blue Pearl/Camel Manual: 3
Long Beach Blue Pearl/Onyx Auto: 0
Long Beach Blue Pearl/Blue Auto: 3
Long Beach Blue Pearl/Camel Auto: 0
Silverstone Metallic/Onyx Manual: 46
Silverstone Metallic/Silver Manual: 28
Silverstone Metallic/Onyx Auto: 3
Silverstone Metallic/Silver Auto: 1
New Formula Red/Onyx Manual: 20
New Formula Red/Camel Manual: 22
New Formula Red/Red Manual: 3
New Formula Red/Onyx Auto: 0
New Formula Red/Camel Auto: 0
New Formula Red/Red Auto: 0
Rio Yellow Pearl/Onyx Manual: 19
Rio Yellow Pearl/Yellow Manual: 6
Rio Yellow Pearl/Onyx Auto: 1
Rio Yellow Pearl/Yellow Auto: 0
Berlina Black/Onyx Manual: 43
Berlina Black/Camel Manual: 12
Berlina Black/Red Manual: 2
Berlina Black/Onyx Auto: 0
Berlina Black/Camel Auto: 0
Berlina Black/Red Auto: 0
Imola Orange Pearl/Onyx Manual: 3
Imola Orange Pearl/Orange Manual: 3
Imola Orange Pearl/Onyx Auto: 0
Imola Orange Pearl/Orange Auto: 0
Grand Prix White/Onyx Manual: 4
Grand Prix White/White Manual: 2
Grand Prix White/Camel Manual: 1
Grand Prix White/Onyx Auto: 0
Grand Prix White/White Auto: 0
Grand Prix White/Camel Auto: 0
Unknown Manual: 1
Unknown Auto: 0

Total Long Beach Blue Pearl Manual: 26
Total Long Beach Blue Pearl Auto: 3
Total Silverstone Metallic Manual: 74
Total Silverstone Metallic Auto: 4
Total New Formula Red Manual: 45
Total New Formula Red Auto: 0
Total Rio Yellow Pearl Manual: 25
Total Rio Yellow Pearl Auto: 1
Total Berlina Black Manual: 57
Total Berlina Black Auto: 0
Total Imola Orange Pearl Manual: 6
Total Imola Orange Pearl Auto: 0
Total Grand Prix White Manual: 7
Total Grand Prix White Auto: 0
Total Unknown Manual: 1
Total Unknown Auto: 0

Total Long Beach Blue Pearl: 29
Total Silverstone Metallic: 78
Total New Formula Red: 45
Total Rio Yellow Pearl: 26
Total Berlina Black: 57
Total Imola Orange Pearl: 6
Total Grand Prix White: 7
Total Unknown: 1

Total Manual: 241
Total Auto: 8

Grand Total 2005 US-spec NSX: 249

2004 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62923

2003 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62978

2002 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63142

2001 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63161

2000 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63218

1999 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65231

1991-1998 data available here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/productionnumbers.htm

Time permitting, I'll run the 1998 data as well to verify the information currently in the FAQ.

Last edited:
Re: 2005 NSX Production Numbers

wow,

a thread like this really helps the rarity "hit you"

to see a 2005 and know it's one of 4, or 7, or 13 of that color... made... just wow.

Makes Ryan's White NSX-R conversion that much more special knowing it's one of 7 in that color that year (1 in 4 in his color combo)

i want one...... :(

rickysals said:
wow,

a thread like this really helps the rarity "hit you"

to see a 2005 and know it's one of 4, or 7, or 13 of that color... made... just wow.

Makes Ryan's White NSX-R conversion that much more special knowing it's one of 7 in that color that year (1 in 4 in his color combo)

i want one...... :(

Incidentally, Ryan's is the last US-spec Grand Prix White built (as of 1-23-2006). There is no 2005 Grand Prix White with a higher VIN (and no 2005 Grand Prix White Automatics either). So, if no more are built, then it's the very last US-spec Grand Prix White NSX ever.

Last edited:
Norm said:
So were there 80 "New Formula Red" or 41?

Norm

Oops, fixed the error. There are 45 New Formula Red Manual, 45 New Formula Red total (as of 1-23-2006).

Last edited:
Awesome. thanks for putting the time in. If you get to 02-04 that would be sweet.

Ben said:
Incidentally, Ryan's is the last US-spec Grand Prix White built (as of 1-4-2006). There is no 2005 Grand Prix White with a higher VIN (and no 2005 Grand Prix White Automatics either). So, if no more are built, then it's the very last US-spec Grand Prix White NSX ever.

Ben..Thanks for all the homework! BTW what # is Ryan's GP White?

Hothonda said:
Ben..Thanks for all the homework! BTW what # is Ryan's GP White?

No problem! I just finished getting all the 2004 data, and should post that sometime tomorrow.

As for Ryan's car, it's probably best if you ask him, not sure if he would want me to post it or not.

Ben said:
No problem! I just finished getting all the 2004 data, and should post that sometime tomorrow.

As for Ryan's car, it's probably best if you ask him, not sure if he would want me to post it or not.

MY GP White is #150 FYI

Ben said:

Will you be able to get model data for earlier years as well?

Now this is great info!

Are there any computer programmers that could write a script for this? It sure would be nice to fill in the rest of the FAQ.

Ben said:
I calculated the full set of 2005 US-Spec NSX VINs (up to #222 6-speed and #8 Automatic as of 1/4/2006), and manually got all the color/transmission combos from American Honda's system.
Ben, I'm curious as to what you mean by "calculated". And I wasn't aware that the VIN contained any information as to the color combination .. how did you make that linkage? If it is possible to do this all the way back to '91, then we'd have a list of all VINs which would be a good start to having a registry to check VINs against to know if "for sale" information was correct (among other things).

NSX2398 said:
Ben, I'm curious as to what you mean by "calculated". And I wasn't aware that the VIN contained any information as to the color combination .. how did you make that linkage? If it is possible to do this all the way back to '91, then we'd have a list of all VINs which would be a good start to having a registry to check VINs against to know if "for sale" information was correct (among other things).

If you have a valid US-Spec NSX VIN to start with, you can get the rest of the US-Spec VINs for that year by simply incrementing, or decrementing (all the way down to #1 for any given year). However, one of the digits is a "check digit", which has to be calculated from all the other numbers in the VIN. How to calculate the check digit is readily available online.

Once you have the list of VINs, you can log into Honda/Acura Owner's Link, and enter the VIN to get the color combo. Not sure, but I think you might have to be an original owner of some Honda/Acura car to be able to log into Owner's Link. To get all the color combos, you have to enter the VINs in manually one by one.

It is possible to do this back to 1991 for all US-Spec cars, but seeing how there are roughly 8000 cars since 1991, it's going to be quite tedious. It's easier for the later years, as from '98 and up, I think they sold only roughly 200 cars per year.

I've been doing this for more or less 2 days now, and I've only gotten through 2004 and 2005.

These numbers are great!

With 2004 numbers coming - and then 2003, does this mean you may work your way down the list?

We have a 2001 model, and would love to know the same details.

Thanks for providing . . .

comquat1 said:
Will you be able to get model data for earlier years as well?

Yup, I've done 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, and 2000. Working on 1999.

Last edited:
WA-NSX said:
These numbers are great!

With 2004 numbers coming - and then 2003, does this mean you may work your way down the list?

We have a 2001 model, and would love to know the same details.

Thanks for providing . . .

Yeah, as time permits, I'll try to go all the way back to 1998 to fill in the missing data, and verify the FAQ data for 1998. Watch this space for updates. :)

RyRy210 said:
So what is the color combo of the last 2005 NSX?

As of 1-23-2006, and assuming no more are built, the last US-Spec NSX is either manual car #241 (Rio Yellow Pearl/Yellow) or automatic car #8 (Silverstone Metallic/Onyx). There's no way to tell just by looking at the VIN which was built later, as automatic and manual cars each have their own VIN "series". The only way to tell would be to get the build dates of the cars off the door jamb label. If they were built the same month, then you would have to inquire at Honda and hope they tell you.

And, it's also very likely that the very last NSX could be Japan, UK, or Euro Spec.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the very last one off the line would be a Japan Spec Championship White/Red w/ Black top Type-R, and it would be put in the Honda museum in Motegi.

Last edited:
Ben said:
If you have a valid US-Spec NSX VIN to start with, you can get the rest of the US-Spec VINs for that year by simply incrementing, or decrementing (all the way down to #1 for any given year).
Yes, decrementing is easy but how do you know how far to increment?
BTW .. I didn't know that you could find the colors on owners link .. that's pretty cool.

NSX2398 said:
Yes, decrementing is easy but how do you know how far to increment?
BTW .. I didn't know that you could find the colors on owners link .. that's pretty cool.

You keep going until Owner's Link starts returning invalid VIN errors.

Updated (1-9-2006). 2005 US-Spec Manual Transmission NSX #224 has shown up in the system. #223 remains an unknown.

Last edited:
robr said:
This sounds like it would be worth throwing together a quick program to do this automatically.

Yeah, definitely useful, to make sure that I didn't make any mistakes in my data entry. Also useful for counting the earlier cars and comparing against the numbers already existing in the FAQ.

robr said:
are you just using the 'add a vehicle' link then just adding in your vins to get the data?

Yes. You enter the VIN, and it comes up with the color combo, and there's a submit button at the bottom. But instead of hitting submit, you hit back in your browser, and enter the next VIN.

Back