• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

water temperature question...

I searched the posts and unless I missed it, could not find the answer to this question. My in-dash gauge reads at what everyone else says is normal - one mark below center. However, I just installed an AEM serial gauge which reads temperature off the AEM EMS and I'm seeing water temps as high as 260 consistently - normal running temps are in the 210-220 range. Is it a function of where the EMS temp sender is located...and is this normal? Nothing smells hot, and everything seems to be working fine.

Spec water temps are about 180. Thermostat starts to open at 172 and is fully open at 194.

Even 210-220 seems a little on the high side. I cannot comment about the AEM since I do not know where it is placed.

Sorry the data is really not much help, just a reference. What is the setup of the car? Are you FI with AEM engine management?

Regards,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Spec water temps are about 180. Thermostat starts to open at 172 and is fully open at 194.

Even 210-220 seems a little on the high side. I cannot comment about the AEM since I do not know where it is placed.

Sorry the data is really not much help, just a reference. What is the setup of the car? Are you FI with AEM engine management?

Regards,
LarryB

Thanks Larry, yes - Comptech high-boost with AEM. I saw the same temps when the car was on the dyno...but the in-dash gauge looked fine. The needle never climbed beyond the mark below half way...that's why I'm wondering which to believe. Anyone else with AEM like to comment?

I tried the link but it didn't work. I also was not able to find the info on AEM site. Does anybody have the calibration data for the water temperature sensor and intake air temperature sensor?

Please don't make me boil water:biggrin:!!

Thanks!

I tried the link but it didn't work. I also was not able to find the info on AEM site. Does anybody have the calibration data for the water temperature sensor and intake air temperature sensor?

Please don't make me boil water:biggrin:!!

Thanks!

They should be very accurate - the AEM uses the same sensor inside the engine that the stock unit uses. If it's off, it should be off by more than a few degrees. The stock gauge at "middle" is misleading as it's very wide-ranging. 180-230 will report about teh same. YOu might be able to use a laser temp tool to check the water coming out of the engine and point it to the line, or the valve cover itself. It'll be off a little, maybe 10 degrees or so, but shouldn't be off too much..

At 260+, I'd be very concerned. It's at the stage the stock system pulls serious timing and fuel. You should do the same via the AEM. I would set an alarm and pull over immediately adding water *while the car is running* for active cooling (so the water pump pumps it through the system).

If you're getting 260 on the AEM, I'd say you probably have some problems.. Check your compression, your coolant levels, oil etc.. and make sure you don't have a headgasket failure.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, readings are off from the AEM cal tables for the Air intake and coolant sensor, correct cal tables are available on the AEM forum you still need to change those with the laptop.

They should be very accurate - the AEM uses the same sensor inside the engine that the stock unit uses. If it's off, it should be off by more than a few degrees. The stock gauge at "middle" is misleading as it's very wide-ranging. 180-230 will report about teh same. YOu might be able to use a laser temp tool to check the water coming out of the engine and point it to the line, or the valve cover itself. It'll be off a little, maybe 10 degrees or so, but shouldn't be off too much..

At 260+, I'd be very concerned. It's at the stage the stock system pulls serious timing and fuel. You should do the same via the AEM. I would set an alarm and pull over immediately adding water *while the car is running* for active cooling (so the water pump pumps it through the system).

If you're getting 260 on the AEM, I'd say you probably have some problems.. Check your compression, your coolant levels, oil etc.. and make sure you don't have a headgasket failure.

I have the AIM MXL Display reading from its own water temp sensor threaded on the engine head, the normal operating temp displayed it on the MXL is around 185-190F, the first thing I noticed when the AEM EMS was installed and engine came to the same normal temps AEM temp was really off, 220-225F degrees both of these reading I'm able to reading from cold start to normal and there si a discrepancy.

I don't have enough experience on AEM tuning but I believe if this cal values are off there then the tuning is going to be off also, isn't this correct?

I have corrected mine to the proper cal values and now my MXL display shows almost exactly the same temp is the AEM shows, the difference is 1-2 degrees which is very close for me, better than the AEM original settings.

I have the same problem, readings are off from the AEM cal tables for the Air intake and coolant sensor, correct cal tables are available on the AEM forum you still need to change those with the laptop.

Could you link me to the correct calibration tables?

Could you link me to the correct calibration tables?
No problem, I had posted them already here in the Prime but HERE is one link from the AEM forum there are at least other 2 threads in there.

Back