• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

I just thought it would be useful to start a double DIN thread. Double DIN video head units are one of the fastest growing product lines in car audio.

Alpine came out with the IVA-W200. Not impressive features wise, seems to have good IPOD control. Looks like it lacks NAV controlling capabilities but it's Bluetooth ready. 6.5" screen.

iva-w200.jpg

From Alpine's product announcement page:

Ready to Expand with Navigation
The IVA-W200 provides a base for adding navigation to the vehicle. Alpine’s NVE-N872A DVD-based fixed navigation system offers hands-free voice control capabilities when paired with the IVA-W200. The IVA-W200 also works with Blackbird (PMD-B100), Alpine’s portable navigation device. Blackbird’s mapping and driving instructions can be viewed and controlled with the IVA-W200 monitor when used with the PMD-DOK1 docking system (available March 2006).

Very cryptic in the product description but my assumption would be that the current NVE-N872A looks like it cannot be controlled via the IVA-W200 but the Blackbird can. It doesn't say that it cannot be controlled via the IVA-W200 but in this description and the other descriptions on the IVA-W200, they almost seem to exclude that ability. Still TBD...

The Valor NVG-670WT is most impressive features wise. Can do just about everything and most of it is built-in. Bluetooth, NAV on SD card, TV tuner, MPEG4, etc. Not a well known manufacturer so quality can be suspect. There is a group buy on this currently.

4799NVG-670WT_Features.jpg

Kenwood has several units. The older units like the DDX8017 and DDX6017 are just slightly improved over the DDX7015. There is a new product the DDX-6027 which they list on their NAV products page and it's a bit short on details. NAV unit is separate and no info on reverse tilt. At CES, the DDX-6019 was announced. The screen size has increased to 6.95 inches. The Valor uses the same sized screen so I think they might be using the same manufacturer for the LCD touchscreen. This is IMO their most interesting head unit as it has support for a bluetooth module and reverse tilt (a blessing for the NSX). I like the way Kenwood does NAV as they keep it modular so you can upgrade the NAV simply by swapping the NAV unit. They are coming out with a new NAV unit which is a hideaway module, probably HD based with a card slot for map upgrades. This unit is compatible with all the touchscreen units through the NAV input and can receive traffic from Clear Channel and XM.

DDX-6019
DDX6019_K.jpg

Pioneer announced the AVIC-Z1. This is an interesting unit because it has a 30 GB hard drive, voice guidance, as well as Bluetooth. From the description, I don't think it is capable of playing DVDs utilizing the built in screen (There might be a way to trick it).

295632461AVIC-Z1%20regular.jpg

Clarion introduces the MAX675VD. Very good IPOD control including video integration, 7" screen and it can interface with their 30 GB NAV module. I don't know what else you can use that 30 GB of space for, hopefully video and music but they don't say anything about it.

MAX675VD.jpg

Eclipse came out with the AVN-6600. All in one NAV unit with 2 DVD mechanisms so you can play movies and use NAV at the same time. Interfaces with IPOD via module. Looks like it lacks Bluetooth. 6.5" touchscreen display. They have an AVN-5500 which appears to be almost the same as the 6600 but lacks the dual DVD mechanisms.

20060106.jpg

Jensen has several units, all pretty good. This is the inexpensive VM9020TS. It comes with an integrated TV tuner, plays MP4 video, reads SD cards, etc. It can be had for under $700. It does REVERSE tilt as well. Pretty good unit if you don't need NAV, Bluetooth or fancy IPOD controls. Good reviews on Crutchfield about this unit. I saw it in person at Circuit City and it's not that bad. The screen isn't the best but it was easy to use and it's cheap!

l110VM9020-f.jpeg

Jensen IC9820TSN

IC9820tsn_x.jpg

Similar to 9020 except adds Bluetooth, NAV control, and IPOD control. Might not play MP4.

Jensen IC9821NAV

ic9821nav_x.jpg

Same as IC9820TSN but integrates NAV. All in one unit.

Jensen VM9021TS

VM9021TS_x.jpg

Similar to 9820 except no Bluetooth from what I can tell.

Panasonic has the CQ-VD6502U. Pretty basic 6.5" touchscreen deck. Bluetooth and IPOD ready. $999 retail.

cq-vd6503u.jpg

There are many other cheaper brands out there. If you search eBay, you will find a lot of units made in China and that can do a lot of things. Generic brands are popping up all over the place. I think I've covered the ones that interest the NSX owners the most. Post any others...

Last edited:
Right below the picture of the unit is a list of features listed by icons. The second one is "PulseTouch Display", and the new Alpine Nav. unit is touch control capable.

CDX_NSX said:
Right below the picture of the unit is a list of features listed by icons. The second one is "PulseTouch Display", and the new Alpine Nav. unit is touch control capable.

Right, I knew it was touch control for the deck and the new Nav unit is touch control capable. But it does not say it can control the NAV unit. That would require the deck to have the output that the NAV unit needs to control it which I believe is that connector they call "Display" which contains video and control data. They don't mention anywhere for the product that it controls NAV which leads me to believe that it doesn't. NAV control and NAV input can be separate and distinct. I could be wrong, hopefully I am, but indications would lead me to believe that it doesn't. I'll update the info if we find out otherwise.

The alpine Nav unit interfaces entirely on a single RGB cable. Actually, I believe that the "Display" label is on the Nav output side. The label on the headunit input should be "Navigation In".

Being that the Nav unit only has one method of connection (RGB), it should be safe to assume that the input on the headunit is also RGB which will handle all of the data, control and sound.

I hate replying when I'm not a 100% sure, but I'm 99% (didn't operate it myself) sure it will operate from the touchscreen with both the NVE-N872A and or the Blackbird with the docking station interface (PMD-DOCK1). I just went to an Alpine sales training seminar on Monday night and the demo display was the doubledin and Blackbird setup. In the spring catalog on page 9, there is a picture of the IVA-W200 with nav on the display and a hand touching the screen to change a function. Let me know Bradley if you find out otherwise.
Take care,
Lance

Malibu Rapper said:
Pioneer announced the AVIC-Z1. This is an interesting unit because it has a 30 GB hard drive, voice guidance, as well as Bluetooth. From the description, I don't think it is capable of playing DVDs utilizing the built in screen (There might be a way to trick it)

I'm looking at maybe buying one of these. Are you sure it can't play DVD's? My friend who installs these said it did.

demigod said:
I'm looking at maybe buying one of these. Are you sure it can't play DVD's? My friend who installs these said it did.
It does for the rear seat video output. But not using the built-in screen. Pioneer implemented a gyroscope in their other units that you could not trick by grounding a parking brake wire like you can with other head units. There was a work around for using the rear camera input to watch video.

From Pioneer's website:

The AVIC-Z1 is a full-featured audio entertainment system. The built-in DVD/CD player allows you to play either DVD Video (for the rear seat entertainment capability), or play CD's with Audio or MP3 files. Listen to AM/FM radio from the high-performance Supertuner IIID tuner. Your music comes alive with maximum power (MOSFET50) and sound performance (Easy EQ).

I was recently looking into replacing my single din unit with a double din,

I want NAV, and it to use the same screen to play DVD, and have rear output for my camera and extra screen...

which one does this?

which one would be best?

Malibu Rapper said:
It does for the rear seat video output. But not using the built-in screen. Pioneer implemented a gyroscope in their other units that you could not trick by grounding a parking brake wire like you can with other head units. There was a work around for using the rear camera input to watch video.

From Pioneer's website:

He just informed me there is a way around it without having to use the rear camera route. So I guess there is 2 ways to do it if you want.

I was in circuit city the other day picking up a spare Sirius S50 carkit for my other vehicle and noticed the Eclipse AVN5435 & AVN5495. Looks like it handles playing dvd's, does navigation, and handles Satellite Radio, also has rear camera output. The only thing it seemed to be missing that I would like is to handle Blue Tooth and if possible tie into some sort of security system. Im thinking about upgrading my whole system this summer.

demigod said:
He just informed me there is a way around it without having to use the rear camera route. So I guess there is 2 ways to do it if you want.

Try to find out how he recommends doing that, it would be very useful info to have on here.

which one would be best?

The current crop of double DIN there is no top pick IMO. They each do some things pretty good. For what you want, NAV, camera, and playing DVDs, I would probably go with the Kenwood 6019. One big reason to use the Kenwood is the reverse tilt to combat glare, that's a huge plus (almost a necessity in the NSX). The other huge plus I like about Kenwood is the NAV unit is separate. Why do I like NAV being separate? It gives you to option to run the unit without NAV to save money, and it gives you the opportunity to upgrade it in the future. NAV changes, it used to be all DVD based and now everyone's starting to go hard drive. NAV will be able to do a lot more in the future just as they have been adding a lot features recently. That old Kenwood DDX7015 I have has a NAV input and if I wanted to add the latest and greatest NAV module, it simply plugs right in. The KNA-G510 NAV module was a joint project between Kenwood and Garmin. It can get traffic data from both XM satellite and Clearchannel FM radio transmission so you don't have to have satellite to get traffic data.

is there a single unit that handles, playing dvd's, does navigation, built in HD to store music, sirius satellite radio, rear camera output, and a big plus would be to have blue tooth and work with a security system.

sjones said:
is there a single unit that handles, playing dvd's, does navigation, built in HD to store music, sirius satellite radio, rear camera output, and a big plus would be to have blue tooth and work with a security system.

The Eclipse AVN7000 does it. The Pioneer N3 comes close. Check with the manufacturer for how the HDs work for music storage. Some of them you have to insert the CD and wait for it to rip it before you can access it. This can make music storage painful and you're usually better off with a MusicKeg or an Ipod.

Every single DIN flipout unit owner I know complains about the weakening of the flipout screen from being pressed on. They get loose over time especially if you press on it hard. Also don't forget they flip up so it could block out your climate control unit. I wouldn't go with anything else except double DIN for the NSX, looks so much cleaner too.

What do you mean by interface with a security system? Some head units have a cheesy blinking LED to ward off thieves that tends more to act like a beacon for theft than anything. Pioneer put some door sensors in the old stereos a long time ago and that was a bust because it was really quite useless.

I think I prefer the double-din unit as well.. it looks much cleaner like you said. I use to own a Alpine 8063 Alarm that I installed in my old 96 Cobra and it had a read-out display that kept a log of alarm trips, which sensor was tripped, etc and that was many years ago. I thought maybe some of the new double-din units could handle that as well and eliminate another display device. Maybe even if the alarm is triggered, activate the camera which could record to the built in HD. That would be pointless though if the unit is getting stolen I guess. :confused:

I was just looking at the Pioneer Avic Z1 and it does pretty much everything including voice recognition. The only thing is that you have to hack it to play dvd on the main screen.

sjones said:
Maybe even if the alarm is triggered, activate the camera which could record to the built in HD. That would be pointless though if the unit is getting stolen I guess. :confused:

There is an alarm that could trigger a camera and send it to the remote display. I don't think it's all that effective because you are limited by range and whether or not the camera works effectively. Cool gimmick though...

Not much nowadays will interface with an alarm because companies don't like to standardize and communicate with each other. Alpine no longer makes alarms. Someday all of this will come together, maybe bluetooth will be the answer....

Malibu Rapper said:

From Pioneer's website:

i have an AVIC-N1 in my civic. you can't watch dvd on the screen unless the car is "parked." conveniently enough, the system doesn't check for the speed sensor to be at 0 (eventhough the VSS is connected to the system). it simply checks to see if the parking brake is on. (so if you have the BRAKE light on, it will work) this is nice cause you can put the brake up one click and do whatever you want (or just wire it a lil differently :smile: )

same goes for navi. you can't type if the vehicle is not "parked."

i think they don't let you do this cause of legal issues..... but it seems like they knew what people would want, and made it possible to use these functions while driving.

either way, the pioneer has a great interface, nice maps, lots of POI...... i like everything about it, except there is no visualization while playing music (i'm not sure about the Z1, however)

Synthesis said:
i have an AVIC-N1 in my civic. you can't watch dvd on the screen unless the car is "parked."

Yes, that is how most manufacturers lock their units down. It's simple to bypass it simply by grounding the parking brake wire from the headunit. That was the first Pioneer Navi deck so you can do that. The AVIC-D1 that followed uses the gyroscope and I think they have continued to use that thereafter, so there isn't a parking brake wire you can ground to bypass.

Malibu Rapper...?

Malibu Rapper,
You seem rather knowledgable on these double din units, and I don't want to talk to some wanna' be salesmen looking for a high dollar sale. Can you pm me your number so i can give you a ring and ask you some questions and options about putting a double din unit in the nsx?

Brandon

Just installed the Alpine IVA-W200 in a friend's car tonight. It's an OK unit, not one I would choose with what's available right now. The video bypass procedure is more than just grounding a parking brake. It requires a combination of stepping on the footbrake releasing it as well as the parking brake in a sequence. I thought about wiring in a couple of switches to aid in the bypass but luckily I found out that PAC audio makes a trigger module that comes pre-programmed to cycle through this ridiculous procedure.

IPOD control with the full speed cable is good. No reverse tilt, screen quality is OK but very prone to glare. It has a dimmer that has a light sensor to automatically adjust the brightness of the screen, it leaves the screen too dim in the dark.

Malibu,
Give your opinion on this, I am fitting my DDX-6019 and don't think I like the fit. I am trying to flush mount it as close as possible so I Don't have it coming through the dash a half inch. The problem is when I reverse tilt the unit, the bottom goes in and the top tilts out. I don't like the look of the bottom, it is behind the center console panel at this point and makes using the buttons on bottom of the unit difficult. I'll try to post some pics but I am almost ready to re-install the DDX-8017.

FYI for those thinking of switching to the 6019 the fit is a little bigger, you need more clearance at the top and bottom of the unit for the reverse tilt, also the corners have a smaller radius you would need to clean up for a perfect fit.

Lance

creative338 said:
FYI for those thinking of switching to the 6019 the fit is a little bigger, you need more clearance at the top and bottom of the unit for the reverse tilt, also the corners have a smaller radius you would need to clean up for a perfect fit.

Yeah I expected to rework the dash trim when I pick up a unit that does reverse tilt. The way I have my stereo recessed right now, the top of the face actually sits behind the trim bar beneath the climate control. That poses no problem when the unit opens, closes, or tilts. But it would definitely block out a stereo with reverse tilt.

My plan was to make the unit mount more on the horizontal and a little deeper. There is a picture somewhere with a car from Japan that has a single DIN stereo mounted in this fashion and I can't find it. But you brought up a very good point about the buttons at the bottom becoming difficult to access. It's one of those things where I have to have the unit to figure it out but I'm still holding out for something that will play divx and have the rest of the features I want.

Back