• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I love-hate my new Sony VAIO laptop

Man this laptop is sexy. But I hate the touchpad, and the built-in wifi is pretty weak.

I'm also having problems running several programs.

I need to use Streets & Trips to plan a drive, and the darn thing keeps hanging up.

This is off a brand new, 100% clean image. No excuse for it to behave that way.

Also trying to save webpages causes much delay also.

I wish I had my thinkpad back, sometimes.

Why can't the damn thing be built like a NSX - sexy, functional and RELIABLE?? :mad:

img_contemporary.jpg

Funny, Ive had my Vaio for 2 years and I love it. I had a MAC before so that might explain it.

Hi

I have a Fujitsu Siemens S7010. Pretty good. I had a S6010 with a smaller screen before this one and I liked it better since it was smaller.

I use it mostly to surf on the net with. Next small pc I go for is probably with a 12.1".

1903575993.jpg

Regards

I hate the touch pads on a laptop. I have to have a mouse or it takes me forever to get anything done on the laptop.
So I have bought a few of those wireless mouse setups. Problem is I consistently break off the antenna or the USB on the laptop. Does anyone know a better solution for a wireless mouse which does not have a 2 inch antenna sticking out the side of the laptop?

I think you have the same laptop that my wife has (S series?). We've had no problems with it whatsoever, the touchpad does its job (though we usually have a mouse hooked up to it), the battery life is great, and its wifi is stronger than any of the devices I have in our house. No problem browsing the web at all...downloading, saving web pages, viewing video, streaming audio.

We're on our second VAIO laptop...her first Windows 98 notebook was also good to us, so I plan to hold on to it.

steveny said:
Problem is I consistently break off the antenna or the USB on the laptop. Does anyone know a better solution for a wireless mouse which does not have a 2 inch antenna sticking out the side of the laptop?

only other option is to buy a laptop with bluetooth built in.

steveny said:
Does anyone know a better solution for a wireless mouse which does not have a 2 inch antenna sticking out the side of the laptop?

Use a bluetooth mouse if the laptop has integrated bluetooth. I have this one and it works great as a travel mouse. I'd get a larger, rechargeable logitech if it is not for travel as they all eat batteries.

To keep this on topic, I love my T-series thinkpad. If you want a smaller laptop, why not an X series?

White94 said:
Use a bluetooth mouse if the laptop has integrated bluetooth. I have this one and it works great as a travel mouse. I'd get a larger, rechargeable logitech if it is not for travel as they all eat batteries.

To keep this on topic, I love my T-series thinkpad. If you want a smaller laptop, why not an X series?

Lap tops with blue tooth cost quite a bit more than I am willing to spend on something that lasts me about 6 months before I drop it.:biggrin:

0ctan3 said:
I'm not one of those apple fanboys, but my 12"er is the NSX of laptops!

powerbookg500.jpg

YAY!
I'm a 12"-er as well

06270519407pg.jpg

----------------

I had a $2800 Sony VAIO previous to me switching to a mac. Second biggest piece of crap I ever owned, next to the laptop I had previous to it. Wireless never worked, had to use windows... which blows, was very very bulky, CD tray went out. I paid a nice penny before I sold it to get everything that should have worked from the factory - fixed. Sort of like a chevy.

My 12" powerbook is half the price, and twice as many features, and they all work seamlessly.

Curious... what is your RAM? Could be a problem for the slowness

Last edited:
NsXMas said:
Aw man. I just found out my new VAIO laptop has no printer ports!!

I guess Sony figures everyone will be using a docking station or a USB printer.

Thank goodness for USB drives to port the file over to my desktop for printing.

Style over function, the VAIO is.

Style over function?

USB is where its at. Printer port? too big. I think you need a new printer :wink:

Back