• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Secrets?

Originally posted by BladesNSX:
To get hidden power and handling from the NSX:

hit up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, then press and hold the gas and brake buttons while pressing start.

Now that's funny! I'm surprised that noone has mentioned that if you look under the right rear wheel well, you will find a Mr. Fusion located behind the air scoop. Just add bananna peel, beer can, and other assorted trash and your Flux Capacitor will now produce 1.2 billion gigawatts enabling you to go back in time!

Originally posted by Poloman:
Wow!

Did you guys get a look at the girl modeling the yellow and red NSX's at WWW.MYNSX.COM !

My God! I'm in love!!!!

Look like implants to me.... Like an Oldsmobile with big wheels... Not impressed.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

This is one of the best threads I have seen on NSX Prime yet. This is the stuff online communities are wonderful for. My thanks to the original poster who thought of it. Here are 5 (count em, 5!) more:

1. To cancel the cruise control without pressing the brake, press both cruise control buttons at the same time. Also, pressing in the clutch slightly works (although that is less desirable since over time it will wear the clutch to keep doing that). Very helpful if you have cruise control set at about 80 and see a cop entering the freeway, but don't want to light up a "look at me, I was speeding" sign by hitting the brakes.

2. You can get plugs for the holes left by the targa roof just behind you and your passenger. They are Part Number 85039-SL0-T00. It doesn't make a big difference in the overall noise level, but it does eliminate one element of the noise -- the high pitched whistle of the air entering the holes.

3. Most of you should know this but just in case: If you flip the high beam switch while the lights are off, the headlights will come up and go on for a moment. They will then stay up in case you want to flash again, and will go back down after a few seconds. Good for reminding those SUV drivers to get the heck out of the left lane if they are going to drop to 55 MPH while on the phone.

4. There are rectangular gaps on the left side of the drivers seat and the right side of the passenger seat. These perfectly fit those CaseLogic CD folders, so you can have the CD cover sheets with you to remember which CD number a particular title is on, find a particular song, or give it to your passenger to choose what they want to listen to. You can also use it for packing extra CDs for a trip, if you take them out of their boxes and put them in the CaseLogic case in that slot.

5. I haven't tried this myself yet, but I would imagine that the air pump in the trunk well would be perfect for pumping your tires to the right pressure while they are cold at home so the readings are still correct, or for adding PSI before auto-crossing. The only question is whether it is durable enough to sustain repeated use rather than emergency use only.

One clarification request on a previous tip, though. Where on the fuse box do you hook up jumper cables? This might be useful as a doner as well as recipient. Please elaborate.

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue over Tan NSX-T
'92 Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 BMW 325iT Sportwagon

Originally posted by calexand:
Where on the fuse box do you hook up jumper cables?

As noted in the owner's manual, there's a big terminal in the fusebox to use, and use the engine block or anything attached to it for the other one.

(The fusebox is the one on the left side in the engine compartment.)

To cancel the cruise control without pressing the brake, press both cruise control buttons at the same time.

Neat, did not know that. You can also deactivate CC by pushing the main cruise control button on the left hand side of the steering stalk.

I believe you can check the time without using the ignition. Just press and hold down the "Display" panel and the time appears.

One clarification request on a previous tip, though. Where on the fuse box do you hook up jumper cables? This might be useful as a doner as well as recipient. Please elaborate.

Chip

The fuse box is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment, near the coolant bottle. There is a tab that you flip up that exposes the positive terminal. The negative “terminal” is located on a bumpout near or on the throttle body (I can’t remember). I believe the procedure is well documented in the Owners Manual.

DanO

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
Neat, did not know that. You can also deactivate CC by pushing the main cruise control button on the left hand side of the steering stalk.

The above method turns the CC completely off and loses the preset speed, obviously. Pressing both the CC buttons will cancel the CC but retain your set speed in memory. Pressing RESUME will get you back to your prior set speed. No need to turn off the master CC switch if you plan to use it again shortly as your set speed is still preserved.

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 29 October 2002).]

Originally posted by Vytas:
No need to turn off the master CC switch if you plan to use it again shortly as your set speed is still preserved.

Very true :) In my Stealth there's a 'cancel' button that deactivates the CC w/o shutting off the CC system. I like that..

I found this on my 2000(and not on my friends 94'), and I don't remember seeing this on my 97', but I wasn't looking either, so I could has missed this hidden feature. The lever that opens the back glass/engine cover has a keyhole in the side, allowing you to lock it. In the locked position, the lever does move, but does not pop the glass open.
John

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I found this on my 2000(and not on my friends 94'), and I don't remember seeing this on my 97', but I wasn't looking either, so I could has missed this hidden feature.

It would make sense to have this feature on the Targas -- wouldn't want anyone popping open the hatch and walking away with the roof and/or other engine parts.

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 30 October 2002).]

Here's a little-known secret that's relevant to most Honda and Acura automobiles. It's gotten to be somewhat obsolete now that we usually have remote entry, but it still works.

When you exit the car, if the driver's door is open, you can't push down the door lock button (the one that sticks up at the bottom of the window). And on most cars (I'm not sure about the NSX though) the driver's side power door lock button doesn't work with the door open, either. The purpose of doing this is to prevent the driver from locking himself out of the car.

HOWEVER, if you pull the door lever at the same time as you press either door lock button, it will work. So they make you do SOMETHING more than thoughtlessly locking yourself out, but they give you an option whereby you don't have to lock the door with the remote or with the key.

This has been true of virtually all Honda and Acura automobiles for the past twenty years.

Originally posted by ANYTIME:
I found this on my 2000(and not on my friends 94'), and I don't remember seeing this on my 97', but I wasn't looking either, so I could has missed this hidden feature. The lever that opens the back glass/engine cover has a keyhole in the side, allowing you to lock it. In the locked position, the lever does move, but does not pop the glass open.
John

Yes, this does exist on my '97 targa as well.

Thanks nsxtasy and DanO for the additional info on the jump start terminals.

So Poloman, are the pictures you were talking about on the WWW.MYNSX.COM gone? I couldn't find anything but metal there.

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue over Tan NSX-T
'92 Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 BMW 325iT Sportwagon

calexand,

It looks like the pictures were taken down. Can anyone help calexand in showing him what we were talking about.

What a fantastic response to my original post. I'm sure a lot of the stuff discussed here has been discussed in various different forms, but it sure is nice to have them all in on.

Thanks for all of the great posts!

Of course, keep them comming.

Originally posted by DanO:

The fuse box is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment, near the coolant bottle. There is a tab that you flip up that exposes the positive terminal. The negative “terminal” is located on a bumpout near or on the throttle body (I can’t remember). I believe the procedure is well documented in the Owners Manual.

DanO

Has anybody attempted to relocate the previously stated fuse box post BBSC installation. Since it is now down inside the compartment it would be rather hard to get jumper wires down there safely.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

Originally posted by Vytas:
Here's another secret compartment that may hold something you think you may have lost:
http://northwest.nsxca.org/tcushion.html

Vytas, you are the man! Thanks for this valuable tip! I just used it tonight (see my post in the Technical and DIY forum)
smile.gif

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
Look carefully at the OEM tire and you will see that, not only is there a rotational direction indicated, but also a "side facing out". Swapping sides would defeat the design of the OEM tires.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....

Back