• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R12 to R134A conversion, do we have to do it on pre94 models?

I know, it is good for the environment but I would like to know if there are any out law out there :biggrin:.
If you are :biggrin: , how do you get your AC service done? Just take it to any
acura certified shops and get it done?

please advise,

There is no law requiring a conversion. R-12 cannot be produced in or imported into this country, but existing stock may be sold to anyone holding a $20 EPA certificate (which also allows them to legally perform A/C work).
The operation of A/C systems is pretty standard, so normal trouble-shooting/service can be done by any competent shop. However, if major work is necessary, like tearing apart the dash, you probably want to have a tech experienced with your car perform the work.

Edit: There are good conversions and bad conversions. The good conversions replace every single seal and flex hose, and flush the entire system of old oil. The drier and fittings are replaced and, if necessary, the compressor is replaced with an updated unit. You can expect this procedure to cost quite a bit. Bad conversions remove the R-12, replace it with R-134a, add fitting adapters, and add some oil. This will work too-until the seals and hoses leak and/or the old and new chemicals interact to destroy the system. R-12 costs more, but unless you're replacing some faulty components already, usually better to stay with it. No matter what, R-134a won't cool as well as R-12.

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
It would be extremely unlikely, and I would think in southern California, impossible to find a shop that is expert in A/C work that still has a supply of R-12 on hand.
R-12 is expensive but not hard to find. If a shop says they don't do R-12 service, I wouldn't think they were very serious about their work. I think I've read the average car on the road is 15 years old, which means lots of cars out there still have it. If you have the skills already there's no reason to turn down the business. :wink:

Guys, thanks for all the feedbacks. I am currently looking at a 91 model that is completely stock. I just want to do more research before jumping on it.

Cheers,

If the A/C is currently working, then just leave it alone. Do the conversion if and when there is an A/C problem that requires recharging the system.

That makes sense, since cars more than 13 years old that need body work are probably more likely to be written off than repaired. If you have capital equipment taking up space and depreciating for years without being used, you should consider selling it. I have a Robinair 17400, so I know they sell for about $800-1k used, and the R-12 of course is worth about $5-600 on the street per 30 lbs. Wait till summer rolls around and then get rid of it.

pbassjo said:
I am keeping the r-12 machine to recover and residual gas from a older system if it should require converting.
My 17400 is about worn out from use and no way am I going to replace any parts to keep it going. It stopped being a depreciable item a long time ago.

I have a question from your first post on this thread.
If the conversion in a r-12 to 134a includes ester oil, which comes with every new retrofit kit I've seen, what chemicals interact and destroy the system?

I would talk to a nearby AC shop and see if they would recover the R-12 for free, since they get to recycle it at market rates. If you haven't had to recover any in years, why worry about the "what if"? I meant "depreciate" from an economic standpoint. I'm not an accountant.

While POE oil fares better than PAG oil in R-12 retrofits, it still breaks down when exposed to chlorine, which is a contaminant found in the mineral oil of old R-12 systems. Without replacing or flushing everything, there is no way to get the old oil out. In addition, mineral oil is not soluble in R-134a. It'll remain a liquid and put more load on the compressor, which will lead to earlier failure than normal. Finally, beyond the compatibility issues, POE oils have less lubricity than either mineral or PAG oil, further stressing the compressor.

Back