• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Honda Accord OEM steering wheel in NSX?

I don't like the feel of my wheel just like Steve. Its too thin. How is repadding /re-leathering the factory wheel so bad? Its still the factory wheel... just thicker and better shaped...

Bigglezworth said:
e9_1.JPG

That's hot.

Seriously, I'd swap for that in a heart beat :). (*if it worked 100%)

Hugh said:
I'd put a wheel from another Honda vehicle on my car long before I put on a wheel that said "Momo" on it. Momo is an old slang term from my youthful days in NYC. I might as well paint my car pink and wear matching lipstick if you know what I mean. :)
I'm with you! :biggrin:

And even the NSX-R wheel is nothing but a ordinary Momo wheel with an insane price tag! Would'nt want that one either. :mad:

TURBO2GO said:
I don't like the feel of my wheel just like Steve. Its too thin. How is repadding /re-leathering the factory wheel so bad? Its still the factory wheel... just thicker and better shaped...

I agree with you.

I loved the thickness of the steering wheel from the E46 M3. And the wheel got thicker in the Z4M coupe. I would love to have that kind of wheel in the NSX

after scanning through the posts, I don't believe anyone has actually stated if the Honda Accord wheel fits or not.

I can't speak for the 7th gen accords but... I CAN speak for the 6th gen CG3 accords and the RSX DC5, S2000 AP1, Civics (EK?) that share the same spline as the wheel below...

DC5STEERWHEEL.jpg

These wheels do NOT fit the NSX spline. Further to that, some 2000 / 2001 wheels began to use dual stage air bags so the plugs and systems are not compatible. I'm actually not 100% sure if even the single stage SRS is compatible with the NSX.

I cannot speak for the newer Accords, Civics, etc... but my guess is that the don't fit either.

I checked this with a 6th gen Accord wheel as well as an S2000 wheel.

ediddynsx said:

:biggrin:

Thats a nice wheel! I do agree the older nsx steering wheels are very plain and way too big. I'd like to know if some of these wheels are interchangable as well. I love my s2000 wheel. It grips great and is very small.

S2000_str-wheel.jpg

SFMarine0311 said:
Thats a nice wheel! I do agree the older nsx steering wheels are very plain and way too big. I'd like to know if some of these wheels are interchangable as well. I love my s2000 wheel. It grips great and is very small.

S2000_str-wheel.jpg
I guess I can find out, since I have both. Check for later posts!!! The steering wheel diamter is little smaller than the NSX. I think...

ya..the dia is definitely smaller.

As I mentioned above, the S2000 or any of the wheels that share the same spline size i.e. the RSX DC5, Civic EP, Accord CG3 or S2000 AP1 do not fit. I have tried the S2000 wheel and it does NOT fit.

i'll let you all know now and to stop trying.

no other wheel from honda will fit the nsx.
you think just because the spine fits, everything else will work.
well think again.

the electronics are the least of your worries.
hint- think about length.

TURBO2GO said:
LOL Au.... All this from a guy who looks in his rearview mirror to back up and sees nothing but two blue tubes and the fins of his intercoolers.... :biggrin:

That is OK mind you, but be cursed if you swap out your factory radio!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

DVDoughboy said:
I agree with you.

I loved the thickness of the steering wheel from the E46 M3. And the wheel got thicker in the Z4M coupe. I would love to have that kind of wheel in the NSX
I did just that. I put the M3 steering wheel with paddle shift to my 330xi with auto trans. It was so easy. Only if I could say the same for the NSX.:frown:

TURBO2GO said:
What about taking the factory wheel, stripping the leather, welding new metal in a different shape (you can do a flat top or bottom like many modern race cars), installing much thicker padding, installing some nice thumb notches, then covering it in a nice two tone leather. Can't this be done? I am sure it is not that hard. You will have modern looks, and OEM functionality. No worries about the airbag, horn or cruise.

I've been thinking of doing this very thing to my wheel. At 6'7", one of the first mods I made to my MkI MR2's was swapping out the steering wheels with small diameter Momo units, which gave me a bit of much-appreciated room for my legs at the thigh (plus, I just prefer the driving feel of a smaller wheel). They're pre-airbag cars, though. With the NSX, I definitely want to go to a smaller wheel but I've been concerned about how to handle the cruise controls and tossing the airbag. I think I'll see if I can find someone to rebuild my OEM wheel with a smaller diameter. Probably gonna be pretty expensive to keep it "factory" in appearance, but... I'll post any significant findings.

Skylark

Skylark said:
I've been thinking of doing this very thing to my wheel. At 6'7", one of the first mods I made to my MkI MR2's was swapping out the steering wheels with small diameter Momo units, which gave me a bit of much-appreciated room for my legs at the thigh (plus, I just prefer the driving feel of a smaller wheel). They're pre-airbag cars, though. With the NSX, I definitely want to go to a smaller wheel but I've been concerned about how to handle the cruise controls and tossing the airbag. I think I'll see if I can find someone to rebuild my OEM wheel with a smaller diameter. Probably gonna be pretty expensive to keep it "factory" in appearance, but... I'll post any significant findings.

Skylark

Please do. I contacted leatherseats.com and they can easily re-leather a wheel. Two tone or whatever. I want a junk NSX wheel to experiment with..

evof575gtc said:
hint- think about length.

Thats exactly the problem....i've tried on mine a DC2/DC5 Momo SRSless wheel....and it fitted perfectly (as so any other Honda...they share the same connection shape)

..... but.... the levers for turn lights and windshield washer were so near the wheel that almost was a contact.... obviously you can't drive a car without your fingers to freely move arround the back of the steering wheel...

I might go aftermarket, someday... *sigh*

TURBO2GO said:
Please do. I contacted leatherseats.com and they can easily re-leather a wheel. Two tone or whatever. I want a junk NSX wheel to experiment with..

I have two "junk" NSX steering-wheels for this very purpose (act as a core for any modification/re-covering).

www.American-stitches.com, out of Houston Texas, offers NSX steering-wheel re-covering for approx. $300. I'm not sure if this includes a core 'wheel or not. For $50 more, you can get additional padding to thicken the rim & spokes (two different thicknesses in mm). They have ultra-suede, but not Alcantara.

Ideally, I'd want Alcantara/ultra-suede re-covering & 5mm padding. The portions around the 3-o'clock & 9-o'clock spokes I'd want perforated (ala' newer NSX steering-wheels).

Thats exactly the problem....i've tried on mine a DC2/DC5 Momo SRSless wheel....and it fitted perfectly (as so any other Honda...they share the same connection shape)

..... but.... the levers for turn lights and windshield washer were so near the wheel that almost was a contact.... obviously you can't drive a car without your fingers to freely move arround the back of the steering wheel...

So a hub/space adapter for a DC2/DC5 SHOULD work on an NSX, right?

This thread caught my attention initially because I was stunned someone wants to use an Accord steering wheel on the NSX but after reading all the replies I understand now and agree somewhat with what you guys are saying.

I have a 2004 NSX that I love dearly. I carefully changed the parts that I felt could use some improving and left all the electronics alone since this car’s engine note deserves to be heard!

In another thread I said the main things I would change are: Seats, Coilovers, Exhaust, Short Shifter and maybe rims…..

The steering wheel is the only piece on the car I hate with a passion: Too bulky, thin and 1980’s looking!

But I have yet to replace it because of the worry for airbags and wiring issues. I’ve spoken to Erick about this a few times and just can’t get over the hump to change it out. I’m not so worried about the airbag as I am about wiring and functionality. Since when do hot rod guys worry about an airbag vs. their billet steering wheel?

On the bmw e46 m3, steering wheels can be swapped easily between regular 3-series and BWM standardized everything to just plug in for the most part, too bad the Honda/Acura crowd has not.

Going to subscribe and see what else comes of this thread….

rick

Back