• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hella Horn Installation...

A person back sometime ago had installed the horns and sent me photos on how to do the installation. I'm posting trying to find this person again for I've misplaced his email and photo's of his NSX with Hella Horns. If you see this...please post message so I can ask you about the installation one more time. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by cormone (edited 13 January 2003).]

I'm not the person you're looking for.

However, here's what I had done with mine. The NSX has three horns, a pair for the horn buttons on the steering wheel and one for the alarm. I used the two Hella horns to replace the pair of regular horns, and left the third horn stock. Sounds great.

No, I don't have photos, sorry.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

However, here's what I had done with mine. The NSX has three horns, a pair for the horn buttons on the steering wheel and one for the alarm. I used the two Hella horns to replace the pair of regular horns, and left the third horn stock. Sounds great.

Do you have any Hella part numbers/style of horn that you used? Link of where to purcase?

Originally posted by KellyJoe:
Do you have any Hella part numbers/style of horn that you used? Link of where to purcase?

As a matter of fact, I just did a search a few months ago because I needed to buy another set for another car, and found a huge variation in prices. It's item number 85105 and I found them for $30.75 plus shipping from Susquehanna Motorsports, here. I placed the order over the 'net and received them a couple days later. I never heard of Susquehanna Motorsports before, but I'm very happy with their price and service based on this experience.

When I changed my horn, I did some tests,
and the 3rd horn (underhood) also is activated by the horn buttons. The NSX is the first car I've seen w/ the 3rd horn.

-Ben

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Originally posted by Ben:
When I changed my horn, I did some tests,
and the 3rd horn (underhood) also is activated by the horn buttons.

True. Sorry I didn't make that clear from my post. The other two are activated ONLY from the horn button, while the third is activated by the horn button OR the alarm, either way. And it sounds great (the blended sound of all three horns).

I'm not mocking you guys or anything, but what is the point of changing horns? I'm just curious.

Yes, much louder!

Here's mine:

fiammhorns.jpg

I prefer the stock sounding horn. My '01 GSR's horn sounds so wimpy! If any of you here want to part with two of your NSX horns, please drop me a line. Would like a pair for the GSR. Would two horns sound the same or does the third play a vital role in the overall sound?

I have a Fiamm Italian horn, which looks similar to Jim's above. I mounted mine in the spare tire, attached to a piece of plastic which I had Tap Plastics build to a drawing I made. It releases using two wing nuts in case you need the spare.

I'm impressed with Jim's because I wasn't able to find any other spot in the frong other than in the tire where they fit, but it looks like Jim found one where he could squeeze them in.

They sound wonderful, way better than the generic Honda-sounding default horns (which I left in, but disconnected). And it is quite loud, so morons backing up toward your beautiful car do get the message when needed.

However, you can just tap it for a gentle Italian toot to mention that the light has been green for a while now, or to remind clueless people waiting in the right turn lane for a green light that turning right on red is legal in California unless posted otherwise. :)

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue/Tan NSX-T with Tubi Exhaust, Italian Horn
'92 Green/Tan Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 Blue/Tan BMW 325iT Sportwagon

Originally posted by Vytas:
I prefer the stock sounding horn. My '01 GSR's horn sounds so wimpy!

Don't be so sure that the stock horn sounds all that different from your GS-R. Try them side by side.

Originally posted by Vytas:
Would two horns sound the same or does the third play a vital role in the overall sound?

When all three are the same, like the NSX stock horn, the sound from multiple horns doesn't sound much different, just louder.

Originally posted by calexand:
I have a Fiamm Italian horn, which looks similar to Jim's above

...and probably sounds similar to the Hella horns, based on my experience.

How did I wind up with Hella horns? At one time, RM Racing was selling Ferrari F355 horns for the NSX. When I called them a few years ago, they had discontinued them. I called the service department of one of the Ferrari dealers in town, who referred me to an aftermarket vendor who specialized in Ferrari parts. That vendor told me that they routinely use Hella horns to replace the factory horn, that the sound was virtually identical (I forget whether the factory horn was the Hella horn or not). So I bought the Hella horns.

There are two different tones of Honda (and most other) horns, high and low. The most common combination is one high, and one low. The NSX is unique in that it had a third. I forget if it's a high or low. I changed mine out with OEM BMW horns, which, coincidentally are Fiamm horns (Electric, as opposed to air horns shown above). I replaced high tone with high tone and low tone with low tone. However, on the NSX, the tone that has the two horns kind of overpowers the single of the other tone when replaced with the BMW Horns. I was able to get the BMW (Fiamm) horns to fit in all three stock locations, although it did take some creative placement angle to get the underhood one to fit, since the Fiamm is much larger than the stock horn.

In the case of smaller cars like the GS-R, they made do with only one horn, so what you're hearing is just a single tone. All you need to do to get the NSX sound is to get the missing tone, splice the wire, and attach the 2nd horn.

Honda/Acura horns of the '90s vintage were relatively weak sounding in my opinion, which is why I changed mine. The current ones have changed to a more stronger, Euro sounding horn, and are fine left as stock.

-Ben

[This message has been edited by Ben (edited 16 January 2003).]

Do all FIAMM horns sound the same? Does the FIAMM sound similar to the Hella?

Jim & Chip, what model FIAMM horns are you using?

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Richard,

If you buy the Fiamm air horns for auto applications they basically all sound the same. I bought my kit similar to this at PepBoys:

blue_3_airhorn_large.jpg

Originally posted by john576:
Is the Hella horn install a quick one? Do I just need to remove the spare? Firewall issues, time, etc?

Thanks

john576 and anyone else that cares to know,
smile.gif

Installed Hella two horn kit that nsxtasy suggested from Susquehanna Motorsports (thanks again nsxtasy!!) last night on my '91 and it was amazingly simple. Nothing had to be removed or altered/cut. Found bracket laying around for horns (got lucky)and had a stainless "Z" bracket made for the compressor. Unplugged two front horns and alarm/third horn. Used two "U" shaped crimp on terminal connectors to plug into OEM connector on third horn after cutting one side off to be able to plug in. + to + and - to - off of the compressor. Will clean up nicely and stay secure w/ heat shrink tubing. Doesn't get any easier. Sounds great IMO, have coverage for regular horns and alarm, can always just plug and unplug to revert back to OEM.

[This message has been edited by KellyJoe (edited 23 January 2003).]

[This message has been edited by KellyJoe (edited 23 January 2003).]

Fiamm horn install ?

Ben said:
I changed mine out with OEM BMW horns, which, coincidentally are Fiamm horns (Electric, as opposed to air horns shown above). I replaced high tone with high tone and low tone with low tone.
I got some FIAMM electric horns (Freeway Blaster 132 DB) from Harbor Freight ($9.99 apiece, available in either high and low tones -- got one of each).

Does the NSX use "single wire" or "double wire" connections ??

I had used air horns previously, both the RM Racing ("Ferrari" horns) and some Fiamms from Crazy Red (Miata tuner shop). Both worked fine, but I noticed that the compressor locked up on me after long periods of non-use (needs periodic lubrication?). Will try electric for now, and see how it sounds. HarborFreight also sells air horns with 135 dB.

#############

EDIT
The Fiamm electric horns are difficult to install where the OE L+R ones are -- space too tight. They are LOUD, though. I'll probably put them on my other (similarly horn-challenged) car.

My old (broken) Fiamm air horns are still there -- I'll probably just replace those and reuse the wiring/relay and mount positions.

The SoS trumpet mount is an interesting option, particularly for those without a spare tire.

horns.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking of replacing the factory horns for a while. Seems that since we are so low most people dont see you and I find myself driving with a finger on the horn button. I want to replace the factory horns with some that sound like the Ferraris'. Any sugestions?

Thanks
Armando

MiamieNeSeX said:
I have been thinking of replacing the factory horns for a while. Seems that since we are so low most people dont see you and I find myself driving with a finger on the horn button. I want to replace the factory horns with some that sound like the Ferraris'. Any sugestions?

Thanks
Armando

See nsxtasy's post above with the link to Susquehanna Motorsports. Great service from them and the kit works great. I can forward a crude drawing for the install if you like. Very easy to install and sounds great IMO.

KellyJoe said:
See nsxtasy's post above with the link to Susquehanna Motorsports. Great service from them and the kit works great. I can forward a crude drawing for the install if you like. Very easy to install and sounds great IMO.

Is the sound close to the Ferrari horns? If you could post the install I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Armando

Back