• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Windows slow? Here's a 5 minute fix.

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
NSX windows are very sensitive when it comes to having the tracks lubricated. The problem has been getting it done. Reaching the rear track is difficult enough. It involves removing the inner door panel but the front track? Ha! There are no access holes on the innner door to reach it.

The tracks run the length of the door from top to bottom. The upper ends of the tracks terminate where the triangular black plastic sash trim pieces are. Or pretty close to them anyway.

Early today I was rummaging through one of my junk drawers when I came across my long forgotten NiteIze. What is a NiteIze you ask? It's a handy dandy fiber optic adapter that fits on a Mini Mag-Lite. Take a look.

In a darkened garage, you can slip the tip of the fiber optic wand into the window opening (window all the way down for this) and get a clear view of the tracks. Then with the track illuminated, holding a can of WD-40 with a long ass straw on the nozzle, you can position it aiming right at the track. A good 20 second blast, wait a few minutes for gravity to do its thing and presto! The windows glide silently up at never before seen speeds! it will be interesting to see how well the WD-40 holds up. I also have cans of white lithium grease and Break-Free that I can try the next time.

fiberopticAAMAG_POP.jpg

Yes there are two of them in each door. You want to spray the guides facing them from the outside of the car letting the lubricant get inside the channels which face outwards.

Excellent Tip Hugh!

I will be interested to see how the WD40 holds up over time and if you do come across a better or longer lasting product than WD40 which I think evaporates over time...

Hugh,

Please let us know if your door ends up drooling WD40 onto the sill plate:).

I have wondered about this method, but have not given it a try.

Thanks,
LarryB

Larry Bastanza said:
Hugh,

Please let us know if your door ends up drooling WD40 onto the sill plate:).

I have wondered about this method, but have not given it a try.

Thanks,
LarryB

Gave them a healthy blast last night and no seepage this morning. I know that sounds a bit ghey but I hope it answered your question. :)

Just a thought, would silicone spray work better than WD-40 as it does not contain any petro distillates to eat up any rubber or plastic? keep us posted!

Energy1 said:
Just a thought, would silicone spray work better than WD-40 as it does not contain any petro distillates to eat up any rubber or plastic? keep us posted!

WD-40 is safe to use on rubber and plastics except for polycarbonates and clear polystyrenes.

I'm thinkinh silicone spray won't lubricate sufficiently. When the windows slow down again, I'm going to try aerosol white lithium grease.

DutchBlackNsx said:
Doesnt yur window get all messy?

Nope. With the window all the way down I was able to get the WD-40 straw directly in front of the tracks. Didn't get a drop of spray on the window itself.

Awesome tip! :smile: I can't wait to try this when I get my car back. Ahhh WD-40, is there anything this magical elixer can't do? :tongue:

WD-40: the cause and solution to life's problems. No wait, that's beer. :biggrin:

Anyway, question for you, is it possible to do without the fiber optic maglite attachment. I have the maglite but no attachment. Could I just flood the area with a ton of light and see down the track that way? Or could I do it without the light and saturate the heck out of the area (aka spray and pray)?

Vega$ NSX said:
Anyway, question for you, is it possible to do without the fiber optic maglite attachment. I have the maglite but no attachment. Could I just flood the area with a ton of light and see down the track that way? Or could I do it without the light and saturate the heck out of the area (aka spray and pray)?

Probably. It's easier in a darkened garage or at night so any ambient light doesn't get in the way of focusing on the track in the door. I think I picked up the fiber optic thingie at a Home depot or Lowes. It's very useful to have in any case.

Question: So you do this from the outside of the car - is that right?

Also - did you use something to pry the weather strip apart while you shines the light?

Finally - did you have a "long" straw for the WD40 or just the one that comes with it? If it was a "long" one - where did you get it?

This could be an awesome find if it works even for a couple months at a time. Thank you for posting.

matteni said:
Question: So you do this from the outside of the car - is that right?

Yes

matteni said:
Also - did you use something to pry the weather strip apart while you shines the light?

My fingertip

matteni said:
Finally - did you have a "long" straw for the WD40 or just the one that comes with it? If it was a "long" one - where did you get it?

From one of the gazillion cans of crap that I have in my garage.

Awesome tip Hugh! I was browsing the forums looking for something else and found this thread which is something else I needed to look into. My passenger window is very slow and was wandering how to fix it. I'll grab the can of wd-40 when I get home tonight and try your fix! I love this forum and fellow NSXers as the knowledge and experiences shared here are extremely helpful!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I use molybdenum grease. With the window up, I've never had any issues getting to the tracks and giving them a good coat along the full length of the track. A good thin coat as needed works very well. I'll put the window up and down a few times to make sure its gets in there good. The OE tends to try out eventually over time and clings to the track causing added friction. The lighter fractions of WD40 will evaporate in a few days

Hugh said:
What is a NiteIze you ask?

For a second Hugh, I thought you were referring to the NEW formula Zymol that contains Niteize instead of Zymes. It's much better than the older formula. :biggrin:

Thanks for the tip, Hugh.

I've had good luck with lubricating window tracks on other cars with a teflon based spray lubricant called Tri Flow. Much more slippery than WD40 and lasts a long time. I would think a lithium based spray grease would gum up over time.

Well, I've got my inner door panels off for something else right now and have access pretty much to both rails... Should I still use WD40 or go for something thicker that might last longer like high temp Honda grease?

Back