• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Brake light is always on

I came home from work today and noticed that my brake light was still on when I got out of the car. I turned the car back on and hit the brakes a couple of times with no luck, I also turned the parking lights on / off and it is still stuck on. I ended up pulling the fuse for the brake lights so I don't drain my battery.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

brake light on the dash or brake light in the tail lights?
brakelight on the dash would mean low fluid or your e-brake switch needs adjusting or you have the e-brake up alittle.
if it is the rear brake lights that are on constantly on that would be weird. Proberly the switch for the brake pedal under the dash went bad. when you step on the brake it pushes alittle button in. Go under the dash and try to unplug that and see if it helps. the you'll know the problem.

Check the brake light switch at the pedal (see attached diagram). Press it in with you hand. If the brake light turns off, adjust or replace the switch.

Attachments

• nsx-brake-pedal-switch.png
    nsx-brake-pedal-switch.png
    14 KB · Views: 485
smoore said:
brakelight on the dash would mean low fluid or your e-brake switch needs adjusting or you have the e-brake up alittle.
if it is the rear brake lights that are on constantly on that would be weird. Proberly the switch for the brake pedal under the dash went bad. when you step on the brake it pushes alittle button in. Go under the dash and try to unplug that and see if it helps. the you'll know the problem.

Unfortunatly it is the tail lights, they are on just like when you hit the brakes not when the headlights are on.

Thanks to everyone for the great advise, I am going to the parking garage to do a headstand in my car right now :)

Ok I found out what the problem is! (Thanks for the excellent diagram Ojas!)

The brake light switch is a normally open style switch so when the brake pedal is depressed it turns the switch off and lets the brake lights come on. The section of the bracket that the switch hits is plastic (small hole filled with a plastic cap.) It looks like the plastic became to brittle after 15 years and finally crumbled. Can you buy these plastic caps without buying the whole switch assembly? If not I will probably try to fashion a piece of metal to go in its place.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. I'm relieved to find out this is a simple fix!

MrTwo said:
The brake light switch is a normally open style switch so when the brake pedal is depressed it turns the switch off and lets the brake lights come on....
The normally open switch when operated will turn the switch 'ON' and complete the circuit to turn the lights on.

Buy a new switch assembly - it's $40 from a discount Acura parts supplier!

If you can't find a replacement plug, try using a plastic rivet or a nut and bolt with a rounded head. The hardest part is getting under the dash! Good luck.

garyn said:
If you can't find a replacement plug, try using a plastic rivet or a nut and bolt with a rounded head. The hardest part is getting under the dash! Good luck.

I just got back from Goodson Acura and $3.04 later and I'm back in business :cool: I bought a new plug from Acura instead of having to buy the whole assembly.

A big thanks to everyone for the help and advise!

Thanks for the insights on the hand brake indicator light. I am going to check the brake fluid level. But in case it is the e-brake switch, how difficult is it to adjust?

Back