• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Matching engine cover fuzz

I want to attach something to the top of the stock engine cover, but I want it to still look stock. That requires a proper shape and finish. I'm looking for help with the latter.

Does anyone know where I can get the necessary materials/instructions to apply a fuzz that will match the fuzz on the top of the engine cover? I've searched for and read most of the engine cover mods and could not find this information (probably because it's not something most cover modders would want to do).

Thanks.

looking for same material for black engine cover..... keep me posted

thanks,
Steve D.

Malibu Rapper did a couple of write ups on this. Search in the Stereo section..I think it is called "Faulk it" or "Fuck it". Regardless, it starts w/ an "F" He faulk my coin tray and came out better than new.

Flock I'm not sure would match the engine cover. I spent several hours sanding off the fuzz to have my cover painted. The fuzz is thick stuff with longer hairs and I think you might be able to come close with a felt type material. I would definitely hit up your local fabric store to see what comes close in color and texture.

I was thinking of covering my hood in black leather, and having a red (or orange) Honda Emblem embriodered into it. It would look great, but would it be ok to do with the temperatures back there?

PhiAlpha44 said:
I was thinking of covering my hood in black leather, and having a red (or orange) Honda Emblem embriodered into it. It would look great, but would it be ok to do with the temperatures back there?
I think you'll find leather to not hold up well in that location (shrink/degrade with sun beating down on it). You'd probably want to use vinyl, not leather, like Honda/Acura did on the NSX dash, window sills, backs of headrests, etc (you'll note the examples I gave are places where sun is an issue).

Malibu Rapper said:
Flock I'm not sure would match the engine cover. I spent several hours sanding off the fuzz to have my cover painted. The fuzz is thick stuff with longer hairs and I think you might be able to come close with a felt type material. I would definitely hit up your local fabric store to see what comes close in color and texture.
You are right that DonJer's flock certainly won't match (my engine cover looks/feels nothing like the coin tray). I suppose if one were to sand off the fuzz and then flock the cover it would be easy to match the cover (just use the same flock). It wouldn't be perfect but would at least have a somewhat similiar look to stock.

I bet what's applied to the cover is considered flock (it just a different material / different kind of flock - thicker, longer, applied less dense). There are lots of kinds of flock out there, it's a big business (http://www.swicofil.com/claremont.html)...so the hard part is finding the right flock and how to apply it. So, what's the stock flock? ;)

I think the felt stuff in a fabric store wouldn't match because the fuzz on the cover is so, how do you say it, not dense (and I'm looking for a PERFECT match), but I suppose it doesn't hurt to swing by and see what they have.

latzke said:
I think the felt stuff in a fabric store wouldn't match because the fuzz on the cover is so, how do you say it, not dense (and I'm looking for a PERFECT match), but I suppose it doesn't hurt to swing by and see what they have.

It's deceivingly dense as I recall from shaving it off. It was almost as if the flock were somehow embedded into the cover so I'm not sure it's a typical flock process. Because I sanded all the way down to the cover plastic and I could still see the fibers attached.

Flocking the entire cover was something I had considered but it's quite difficult due to the size of the cover, it's not easy keeping it even.

I did this repair myself about 4 to 5 years ago.
The existing "fuzz" on my 92 was shot and scraped off easily w/ a razor blade and flat blade plaster tool.
I bought the replacement material at a local auto upholstry shope here in Dallas. They had an assortment of different materials to choose from in different lengths, colors and thicknesses.
I used spray on contact cement to both surfaces and the new material followed all the contours of the hatch cover perfectly.
Use a new razor blade to trim excess material off and you are done

Sorry I don't have any photos of this but it was very easy to do, especially oif you have used contact cement in the past

Back