• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need advice on an NSX purchase

Hello everyone, I've been following this forum for quite sometime now, and im impressed with the level of intelligence and the mutual respect amongst you all.

Recently, I came across an 1994 Black NSX with high mileage. I had my hopes set on a 95 or 96, but the price of the 94 is fairly low, 36K. However, the vehicle has around 93K miles on it. Do you guys feel the low cost offsets the high mileage? Also, am I going to burdoned with maintenance if I purchase this vehicle?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

There's three critical repairs that have to be done with that milage:

1. clutch replacement
2. water pump replacement
3. timing belt replacement

If all three of those have been done, 36k is a pretty good price for a '94. If they haven't, you'll spend $2500-$4000 on all three repairs.

------------------
Red/Red '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and Pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

Hmmm, that seems to be consistent with the maintenance tasks that Ive seen others require. Perhaps 34000 should be the price...

Well, heres another question about sales task in CA... How can I avoid it? I remember seeing a post a while back that stated that you won't have to pay sales tax on an out-of-state vehicle purchase if you wait 90 days to register from date of purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to confirm this. Has anybody exploited this loophole?

Originally posted by SigEpUCI:
Well, heres another question about sales task in CA... How can I avoid it? I remember seeing a post a while back that stated that you won't have to pay sales tax on an out-of-state vehicle purchase if you wait 90 days to register from date of purchase. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to confirm this. Has anybody exploited this loophole?

Hi,

That was me that posted that info.

Go to:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/nonresident.htm

Scroll down to "How much will I have to pay?" where you'll find:

"Use Tax-This tax is similar to sales tax. It is collected at the same rate as your county of residence. It is due on all vehicles purchased in California and on those brought into this state within 90 days of purchase. Any sales taxes paid out-of-state will be considered when computing the use tax due this state. This fee is due for ownership transfer of recently purchased vehicles."

NOTE: Waiting more than 30 days to register a car that appears to have been in CA for over 30 days is just going to get you a fine. You get off the hook on use (sales) tax if the vehicle was purchased & kept out of the state for 90 days.

I'll be registering my car in a few days (just got the smog check) and am happy to let you know how it goes. Drop me an email at the end of the week.

Marc

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 28 October 2000).]

Back