• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cantrell headers and ARK DT-X exhaust install issue

Well.... I had the dealer install my Cantrell headers and an ARK-DX exhaust today. The exhaust sounds OK but now there is a clicking/tapping sound when accelerating or off the gas, like a playing card in bicycle spokes type of sound. I didn't feel any leaks around the exhaust so I'm guessing where the headers meet the engine there is a possible leak. Just doesn't sound good at all, and I'm pretty sure the exhaust wouldn't be making this noise. Guess time to take back to the dealer.. ugh. BTW it was $490.00 for install of the headers and exhaust from Rosenthal Acura Gaithersburg MD.

Last edited:
Typically I see two common clearance issues:

1. Front cat hitting or close to cross beam under it, I like a 1/2"+ clearance, cannot always get it though.

2. #6 downpipe hitting the front beam engine mount bracket

If this is truly an exhaust leak at the head, you will need to remove what is in the way to find it. Since the gasket at the head is a metal gasket these rarely leak though, unless they are not fully tightened.

HTH,
LarryB

ibDursty said:
Well.... I had the dealer install my Cantrell headers and an ARK-DX exhaust today. The exhaust sounds OK but now there is a clicking taping sound when accelerating or off the gas, like a playing card in bicycle spokes type of sound. I didn't feel any leaks around the exhaust so I'm guessing where the headers meet the engine there is a leak? Just doesn't sound good at all and I'm pretty sure the exhaust wouldn't be making this noise. Guess time to take back to the dealer.. ugh. BTW it was $490.00 for install of the headers and exhaust from Rosenthal Acura Gaithersburg MD.

check the joint near the rear beam. may be touching.. I know that the tolerance are REALLY close.

x

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to foward this thread to the mechanics that did the install and have them go over it again. The only thing I can figure is that perhaps since they haven't installed this type of exhuast before they they didn't pick up on the sound that I'm hearing.

Veleno said:
How did the header line up with the cats/exhaust?

I'm guessing everything there lined up OK, the guys that did the install didn't mention anything to me about any problems, but I'm going to talk to them again today.

Yeah, I wish I had the facilities and tools to do it myself (and be more mechincally inclined) but alas... I was all ready to take pics and sound clips too, LOL. Sounds horrible right now with the bicycle spoke with playing cards sound so that will have to wait I guess :frown:

ALL IS WELL NOW :smile:

Took it back it back and went for test ride with the tech. They didn't hear it the first time as they had the windows down and it's not as noticeable with the wind noise. Wasn't a leak after all but a wiring harness that runs fairly close the headers and was banging against the bulkhead behind the engine. The tapping noise would change do to the engine shifting when accelerating or decelerating pushing the harness into the bulkhead. It's amazing that the harness could as much noise as it did, but after moving it out of harms way all I can hear now is the exhaust which now sounds great. I'll try and throw up some sound clips when I get a chance as I haven't seen anything up for the DT-X Ark exhaust, just the DT-S. It's a good compromise I think be between stock and something a little louder without being obnoxiously loud/ricey sounding.

ibDursty said:
Well.... I had the dealer install my Cantrell headers and an ARK-DX exhaust today. The exhaust sounds OK but now there is a clicking/tapping sound when accelerating or off the gas, like a playing card in bicycle spokes type of sound. I didn't feel any leaks around the exhaust so I'm guessing where the headers meet the engine there is a possible leak. Just doesn't sound good at all, and I'm pretty sure the exhaust wouldn't be making this noise. Guess time to take back to the dealer.. ugh. BTW it was $490.00 for install of the headers and exhaust from Rosenthal Acura Gaithersburg MD.

SAME thing is happening to me with the Cantrell headers, Im going to look at it tomororw, I just put them in tonight!

ibDursty said:
ALL IS WELL NOW :smile:

Took it back it back and went for test ride with the tech. They didn't hear it the first time as they had the windows down and it's not as noticeable with the wind noise. Wasn't a leak after all but a wiring harness that runs fairly close the headers and was banging against the bulkhead behind the engine. The tapping noise would change do to the engine shifting when accelerating or decelerating pushing the harness into the bulkhead. It's amazing that the harness could as much noise as it did, but after moving it out of harms way all I can hear now is the exhaust which now sounds great. I'll try and throw up some sound clips when I get a chance as I haven't seen anything up for the DT-X Ark exhaust, just the DT-S. It's a good compromise I think be between stock and something a little louder without being obnoxiously loud/ricey sounding.

Ill look at mine, hopefully we have the same problem!, car runs great here!

Back