• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ride height

Here are two sets of numbers:

1. My '91 is stock ride height. Measuring from the flat ground to the bottom of the tabs for the four jacking points (not the ones in the middle), all four are between 4.5 and 4.75 inches.

2. Page 3-17 of the 1991 service manual shows a diagram which tells the distance from the ground of the lowest point between the wheels, which is the jacking tabs and is shown as 5.3 inches.

nsxtasy said:
Here are two sets of numbers:

1. My '91 is stock ride height. Measuring from the flat ground to the bottom of the tabs for the four jacking points (not the ones in the middle), all four are between 4.5 and 4.75 inches.

2. Page 3-17 of the 1991 service manual shows a diagram which tells the distance from the ground of the lowest point between the wheels, which is the jacking tabs and is shown as 5.3 inches.

i think he's asking for the gap on the tire to the fender..

Around two fingers gap front and back should be fine my friend with your new wheels. What size tires do you have in front? Should be no larger than 215 if you don't want any rubbing. Post pics when you can. :biggrin:

darknezz_ghost said:
i think he's asking for the gap on the tire to the fender..
I know he is. But that has a tendency to vary from car to car; many NSXs have been lowered by various amounts, and many NSXs (including mine) do not have the stock tire sizes on them (and even those vary depending on year). That's why the jacking points are a better place from which to measure ride height. It's also a more precise measurement, and besides, it's just plain easier.

Jin1976 said:
Around two fingers gap front and back should be fine my friend with your new wheels. What size tires do you have in front? Should be no larger than 215 if you don't want any rubbing. Post pics when you can. :biggrin:

Sure bro. I'll take pics after I lowered the car. It is still looking a little bit rally-ish at the moment :smile: I'm glad to hear that using 215 tyres won't rub coz I'm using exactly that up front :wink:

nsxtacy said:
I know he is. But that has a tendency to vary from car to car; many NSXs have been lowered by various amounts, and many NSXs (including mine) do not have the stock tire sizes on them (and even those vary depending on year). That's why the jacking points are a better place from which to measure ride height. It's also a more precise measurement, and besides, it's just plain easier

Thanks for that info NSXtacy. The reason I'm asking is that I thought measuring the gap between tyres and the fenders will be an easier yardstick from which u can lower your coilovers. I'm using the 18/17 combo with 275 back and 215 front and Tein RA coilovers. I just wanna see what is the most popular setup (lowering).

Supercar said:
The reason I'm asking is that I thought measuring the gap between tyres and the fenders will be an easier yardstick from which u can lower your coilovers.
Again, I think you'll get a more accurate measurement by measuring the distance from the jacking points to the ground. (In addition to being an easier place to measure accurately, it also won't depend on the tread depth of your tires.)

nsxtasy is right. Just lower one side to the gap that you want and measure the ground distance to the jack point of that side. Then lower the other side and just measure that side ground distance to the jack point. Don't forget to spray some WD-40 to the coilover thread to loosen the nuts otherwise it would be difficult to turn them.

RacingHeart said:
One finger, H&R drop.

Looks killer! :cool:

Just one finger!! :eek: You must have some really nice roads over there.

Jin and NSXtacy, your very good points are duly noted. Will try to do that over the weekend. For the mean time, how many fingers? :smile:

Supercar said:
Just one finger!! :eek: You must have some really nice roads over there.
Actually we dont. :redface:
The roads are crap around where I live and the speed bumps are like weed, but no scrapping as of yet.

I run my H&R's with Bilsteins and that makes the suspension quite firm compared to stock. I think thats the reason why I have'nt scrapped any bumps yet.

nsxtasy said:
Again, I think you'll get a more accurate measurement by measuring the distance from the jacking points to the ground. (In addition to being an easier place to measure accurately, it also won't depend on the tread depth of your tires.)

It might also prudent to drive the car a bit? So its measuring the 'settled in' height of the springs.

Not sure what you meant, but here's a pic. My wheels are turned slightly to the left.

10208new_X_pics_AUG06_003-med.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. btcog... that is one mean machine you got there. Might use that as a model when lowering my car. Jin1976, u have any plans this friday?

Back