• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Getting started In Track events

I have a couple of questions about getting started in track events, what groups to join? What types of racing can a stock or slightly stock NSX participate in? I did a search here and read thought all the posts, it looks like nasa events look good, what about club racing? I would really like to avoid a full cage as the nsx will be a street car aswell. I auto cross my crossfire, but am looking to get out of second.

These posts just about cover most of your questions:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74306&highlight=track

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69435&highlight=track

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66348&highlight=track

I honestly was going to type something but for the most part they all say around the same thing...

you can participate in many different 'racing' events. As far as the roll cage part, if you have never participated in any track events then I'm assuming you would be attending your first track event. Honestly, just sit back and start doing HPDE events. The road to wheel-to-wheel racing is somewhat long and you may just get a kick out of HPDE stuff to begin with. Either way, find some tracks near you, find the sponsors, and start spending money on the most important upgrade... you! :)

have fun out there and be safe,
x

xfiremd said:
I auto cross my crossfire, but am looking to get out of second.
Second gear, or second place? You probably won't use anything higher than second gear in an NSX at an autocross.

If you give us a general idea about where you live, I'm sure someone could recommend a good HPDE club. Are you coming to NSXPO? The track event there will be run by Chin Motorsports.

On another note, you actually allow yourself to be seen in public in a Crossfire? :biggrin:

I should clarify a few points, I live in PA, I would like to get out of second gear, I could live with second place, and finaly I as of yet have a NSX. I always liked them and I was at the vintage grand prix and got to poke around a few at the glenn. I have a dealer trying to locate one for me. Hopefully I will get to go to nsxpo next year.

By the way the crossfire it my wifes car, she got to pick it out since I am always bringing home project cars. At the moment the crossfire is our only sports car. Its a nice car, but its really more of a sports luxury car. Hence why I am trying to get a NSX.

xfiremd said:
I should clarify a few points, I live in PA, I would like to get out of second gear, I could live with second place, and finaly I as of yet have a NSX. I always liked them and I was at the vintage grand prix and got to poke around a few at the glenn. I have a dealer trying to locate one for me. Hopefully I will get to go to nsxpo next year.

By the way the crossfire it my wifes car, she got to pick it out since I am always bringing home project cars. At the moment the crossfire is our only sports car. Its a nice car, but its really more of a sports luxury car. Hence why I am trying to get a NSX.

Depending on where in PA can make or break which tracks you would frequent also. I know that Summit Point wouldn't be too bad if you're in the southern area... for a quickie (for lack of better terms), you could attend a FATT (Fridat At The Track)... which is just that.. a friday at the track..

x

VBNSX said:
for a quickie (for lack of better terms), you could attend a FATT (Fridat At The Track)... which is just that.. a friday at the track..
Since you're just getting started, I strongly recommend signing up for drivers schools which include classroom sessions and an instructor in your passenger seat, rather than lapping day type events. If you don't start out with instruction, you will acquire bad habits that will be much harder to lose later than to learn the proper way to do things to begin with.

nsxtasy said:
Since you're just getting started, I strongly recommend signing up for drivers schools which include classroom sessions and an instructor in your passenger seat, rather than lapping day type events. If you don't start out with instruction, you will acquire bad habits that will be much harder to lose later than to learn the proper way to do things to begin with.

to defend FATT, it is an instructor based program that has several levels of driver divisions... novice, intermediate, solo... in which when you sign up for novice and intermediate, you are mandated an instructor who will show you the basics of HPDE'ing.

x

VBNSX said:
to defend FATT, it is an instructor based program that has several levels of driver divisions... novice, intermediate, solo... in which when you sign up for novice and intermediate, you are mandated an instructor who will show you the basics of HPDE'ing.
Sounds good. (Some tracks run "open lapping" events on Fridays, but this sounds different.) More info on FATT at http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM

FATT is where I started. ...and now Ferrari's F1 team is ringing my phone off the hook. But I think I'll stick with this Mortgage Lender gig. :biggrin:

I'll be at Summit this Monday with Ferrari of Washington. It's worth a visit if you can take time off. www.fwash.com

Also, at Pocono (on their partial oval + infield course), PDA hosts a couple of events each year, I think. search the web for Performance Driving Associates or PDA driving school.

BeaveRun may be near you if you're in Western PA.

Other recommended groups holding nationwide programs of drivers schools include Chin Motorsports and BMW CCA, which have excellent programs for novices. NASA also has schools but their events (even in their HPDE groups) is geared towards racers rather than novices.

There are various other groups operating on a local or regional basis.

Back