• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about alignment Toe in "mm" vs. "degrees"

My local alignment shop has this big Hunter Alignment rack and when I gave him the specs from the FAQ for the front and rear Toe (example: Total toe: -3.5mm +/- 1mm) he didn't know how to enter them, because the machine reads in degrees. Does anyone know how to translate "mm" to "degrees"? I'm trying to get maximum tread life.

Find another alignment guy.

Sorry to be blunt, but that is a ridiculous question from a guy who uses a Hunter Alignment rack.

LarryB

nsxtasy said:
This link to a conversion table was posted by ncdogdoc in this previous topic.

Thanks Ken,
I looked at that table and got really confused. I have 18" fronts and 19" Rears.
I'm going to go ahead and go with something inbetween the 1991 spec and the 1993+spec. So I want to convert:

Front (18x8" +38):
Total toe: -3.5mm
Camber: -0.33 deg +/- 0.5 deg
Caster: 8 deg.

Rear (19x10" +35)
Total toe: 5mm (halfway between the 6mm for '91 and 4mm for '93+)
Camber: -1.5 deg +/- 0.5 deg

to all degrees.

From the later in the post you refered I read from NSXBILL2:
arcsine(4/727.7) = 0.31 degrees THIS IS TOTAL TOE, divide by 2 for each side

where 4 is the mm of total toe.

So if I wanted 5mm for the rear, my deg should be=0.393680296 deg? Is that Wheel diameter dependent?

And would the fronts thus be -3.5mm=-0.2756 deg. . . is this right? Wheel diameter not mattering?

Hapa88 said:
So if I wanted 5mm for the rear, my deg should be=0.393680296 deg? Is that Wheel diameter dependent?

And would the fronts thus be -3.5mm=-0.2756 deg. . . is this right? Wheel diameter not mattering?
The machines that do the conversions assume a fixed tire diameter. You don’t want to try to adjust for your non-standard wheels. The measured angle is independent of wheel, so I always just assume around a 26 inch tire when making these adjustments. This results in:

3 mm = 0.26 deg
4 mm = 0.35 deg
5 mm = 0.43 deg

Bob

1BADNSX said:
The machines that do the conversions assume a fixed tire diameter. You don’t want to try to adjust for your non-standard wheels. The measured angle is independent of wheel, so I always just assume around a 26 inch tire when making these adjustments. This results in:

3 mm = 0.26 deg
4 mm = 0.35 deg
5 mm = 0.43 deg

Bob

Thanks Bob,
I'm using a Hunter machine and according to the previous post (listed by NSXTASY) by NSXBill2:

NSXBill2 said:
I got NSX readings from a Goodyear dealership using Hunter equipment, but could never figure in actual NSX tire diameters. I called Hunter and questioned them. As it turns out, they use a Reference Tire Diameter for all of their car toe-in-linear-mearurements to toe-in-degree-measurments conversions. They use 28.65 inches or 727.7 mm. Using this diameter, I was able to duplicate the NSX-Hunter readouts exactly for -3.5 mm front and 4 mm rear.

So I guess I should be correct with my settings original thought of 0.39 deg for 5mm if this Hunter machine uses the same assumptions. Thanks for all your help. This has been quite the confusing problem. :eek:

Back