• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best way to remove the oil filter

I like Brian K's idea.

I have always just loosened the filter enough to drain most of the oil down the side of the filter, then carefully spun the filter off. Spilliage is ususally pretty minimal; just a paper towel on the brace.

A carefully whacked screwdriver on the bottom would punch a drain hole to the filter is another way.

Of course, nothing is better than a 5W-30 rubdown! Better when it is fresh Mobil 1.

I had read to take a 1 gallon ziploc baggie and unscrew it with it wrapped around the filter. Once the filter is off, just let it fall into the baggie and zip it up. I have no idea if that works or not but it sounds good in theory.

nis350 said:
what is the best way to remove the oil filter so that the oil inside the filter would not spill eveywhere?

Thanks. :wink:

I like to use a shotgun myself :biggrin:

Taking the right rear wheel off makes aim easier too :biggrin:

96 NSX-T said:
You could just wear a disposable rubber glove and pitch it with the filter afterwards. Just a thought.

That's exactly what I do. I carefully loosen the last few turns by hand and then holding the filter just lower into the drain pan below. Not much mess this way. I use brake cleaner spray to easily clean the oil off any affected areas and let that goo drip into the pan as well.

Use one of these...:biggrin:

KBC-19730.jpg

Just have granny buy em to save face!
Amazing liquid soak-um-up capacity

Hugh said:
That's exactly what I do. I carefully loosen the last few turns by hand and then holding the filter just lower into the drain pan below. Not much mess this way. I use brake cleaner spray to easily clean the oil off any affected areas and let that goo drip into the pan as well.

Same here. Just did this very thing yesterday so I'll have fresh oil for the drive to NSXPO! !:biggrin:

These liquid absorbant mats are convenient for oil changes. I place one of these directly under the filter (on the cross member, suspension, etc.) to catch any oil that drips/spills out, then I bag it up and throw it away.

Vega$ NSX said:
I had read to take a 1 gallon ziploc baggie and unscrew it with it wrapped around the filter. Once the filter is off, just let it fall into the baggie and zip it up. I have no idea if that works or not but it sounds good in theory.

I give thumbs up to this idea. Can't wait to try it. Now i need to go put some miles on my fresh oil then.:smile:

Gramps said:
Drive a nail or a screwdriver through the cannister and let it drain. I've been doing this for years with metal cannister filters.

Interesting.., how hard is it to drive a screwdriver through the cannister?

SilverOne said:

not very hard at all. I had to do it once when I just couldn't get leverage on one to get it off (not on the nsx though)...

I do like that ziplock bag idea though. I usually just get a garbage bag from a grocery store and stick my hand inside and unscrew it and let it drop into the bag but the ziplock idea seems like it would make transporting the mess easier haha.

SilverOne said:

Make sure you have already started to loosen the filter before punching hole & draining. In other words, that you will be able to get the filter off once you start the job. If you punch the hole & then find out you can not loosen the filter, you are screwed. Had this happen once, not on an NSX.Since you can't drive the car it's stuck and if you have no other car, you are really screwed. Ended up cutting the filter off in chunks using chisels & screw drivers.

skyguy said:
Use one of these...:biggrin:

KBC-19730.jpg

Just have granny buy em to save face!
Amazing liquid soak-um-up capacity

Is that one of Hugh's??? :biggrin:

Back