• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many miles does your OEM clutch last before replacement?

Denver, Colorado; Los Angeles, CA & Bangkok Thaila
Just wondering.

I drive the car pretty hard when I feel like it and I can feel that my clutch is about to wear out. Taking it to the dealer on Monday.:smile:

i dalily drive my NSX....it has the original clutch and is now with 165000kms = 100000 milles....i'll soon change it for a Exedy twin plate carbon clutch ;)

The most common mileage at which the OEM clutch seems to need replacement is in the 40-60K range. However, some clutches wear out sooner than that, while others last up to 90K or more.

Most aftermarket clutches don't last as long as the OEM...

EDIT: Corrected figure to correspond to poll (thanks for posting, OLDE-GUY!)

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Most aftermarket clutches don't last as long as the OEM...

hummmm....and how about the Exedy twin carbon (not the new d-core) ??? i don't think anyone has done a lot of milles with it, but would it last longer than OEM? (i once read that would do more than 2 times the OEM one :confused: )

There was a non-scientific poll on this question a few months ago. A few were replaced by 30,000 miles and others lasted over 100,000 miles. As I recall that the mean was 40 to 60,000 miles. Obviously, it depends on how much abuse the clutch receives. Careful, smooth drivers seem to do quite well. It certainly isn't a weak point of the NSX.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68052

Last edited:
I'm at 60,6xx on the original clutch on my '94. I'm trying for 75,000 on it, hopefully more. :biggrin:

Mine has 30K on it, and it feels brand new. I was worried about the clutch issue before I bought the car, but mine shows no sign of wear at all. The prior owner was an older man that said the car never went over 90mph. I couldn't be happier with the clutch's performance.

What are the signs of a weak clutch?

Mine is engaging really high, when I take off in first the whole car seems to shutter, and when I am in first and let the RPMs drop from 3500 - 2000 the car lurches. I had none of these problems before in my Toyota Pickup (but it does have about half the HP). Now anyone who has seen me at a track event (all 2 of em) knows I cant drive worth a damn, but is this all my fault or is my clutch not happy?

Clutches are like brakes. Wear is very driver dependent. So it is really hard to say. I agree with Ken about typical wear mileage, but I have seen them go way less, and way more.

HTH,
LarryB

So what about the shutter I'm getting? Driver error? How do I correct?

Back